quick reply is a MUST imo...

and the b'days n stuff...

but its nice to see nvnews usig vb3
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 11:21 AM   #52
MikeC
Administrator

Default Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the comments. This was a spur of the moment upgrade since it was a weekend and Joerg, who lives in Germany, was available.

I am a newbie with vBulletin 3, so it's a learning process for me as well. Fortunately, I seem to take these types of changes in stride since they also happen in my "real" job.

I am becoming familiar with the new interface, but the administration of vBulletin 3.0 has been totally overhauled. Not so much the control panels, but the underlying architecture is now based on inheritance. If you are an object oriented programmer, you will feel right at home with vBulletin 3.0.

My main goal was to get the advertising banners working again, which I just finished. It took around 3 hours to figure out how to incorporate them, but most of that time was spent on figuring out how vBulletin 3.0 dynamically builds forum pages. It's quite sophisticated, but there a few areas where you can insert custom code without getting into trouble (I hope). Saving a sample forum page on my PC and then editing it to get the look I wanted really helped out.

We will continue to tweak the forum as necessay and maybe even incorporate some custom mods. Howver, I would only incorporate custom mods if I can figure out how to create a "mirror" of the forum to use as a test system.
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 11:26 AM   #53
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC
Thanks for the comments. This was a spur of the moment upgrade since it was a weekend and Joerg, who lives in Germany, was available.

I am a newbie with vBulletin 3, so it's a learning process for me as well. Fortunately, I seem to take these types of changes in stride since they also happen in my "real" job.

I am becoming familiar with the new interface, but the administration of vBulletin 3.0 has been totally overhauled. Not so much the control panels, but the underlying architecture is now based on inheritance. If you are an object oriented programmer, you will feel right at home with vBulletin 3.0.

My main goal was to get the advertising banners working again, which I just finished. It took around 3 hours to figure out how to incorporate them, but most of that time was spent on figuring out how vBulletin 3.0 dynamically builds forum pages. It's quite sophisticated, but there a few areas where you can insert custom code without getting into trouble (I hope). Saving a sample forum page on my PC and then editing it to get the look I wanted really helped out.

We will continue to tweak the forum as necessay and maybe even incorporate some custom mods. Howver, I would only incorporate custom mods if I can figure out how to create a "mirror" of the forum to use as a test system.
supah

its a nice little thing this vb 3.0.0... nice little extras that help both posters AND mods (the drop down options are a boon)

once you get used to the quick reply box you will not want a forum w/o it it saves so much time and is a pretty kewl feature...

there is one known issue if you want to let people know...

pressing F5 to refresh screen does not bring NEW posts to the top of the list... have to click NEW POSTS to do that...

its annoying and if/when there is a fix I will try and let you know unless you find out about it before hand...

but good job on the upgrade... lookin good... now get skinnin
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 11:31 AM   #54
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC

Sounds pretty cool. OOP is good stuff, and while it's gonna take me a bit to get used to it, I think I'm going to like the new look. Having the toolbar over the new message window is nice, and it all plays nice with Firefox, which is also very cool (not surprised, Firefox actually uses W3 standards). All in all, it was a nice surprise to have this morning!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 01:53 PM   #55
CherryPopper

Thumbs up Thumbs up for me as well!

Nice new look guys....

I also prefer the Avatars on the left now and not on top as they were last nite.. and yeaa they do somehow look a lot better now than they did under the old bulletin... much larger and cleaner looking. Loading times are also much faster than they were at first.

Keep up the great work guys
Viewsonic VG191b Flatpanel Display
Audigy 2 with 240 W THX Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers
Fujitsu 36 Gig 10,000 rpm Ultra 160 SCSI HD
Fujitsu 73 Gig 10,000 rpm Ultra 320 SCSI HD
Windows XP Professional SP1 Build 2600
CherryPopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 05:46 PM   #56
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Pretty good.. All a bit bright but it still works. For some reason I always quite liked the darker blues and greys of the old style though.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-04, 05:56 PM   #57
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
once you get used to the quick reply box you will not want a forum w/o it it saves so much time and is a pretty kewl feature...
I noticed a qucik reply option in the Message Posting and Editing Options in the Control Panel. It is currently disabled, but here is the information for that particular feature:

If you enable Quick Reply, a box will appear on the showthread.php page allowing users to reply to the current thread without needing to load the full newreply.php page.

If Quick Reply is enabled, users still have the option to click on the reply button in order to use the full newreply.php page.

Enabling the WYSIWYG toolbar for Quick Reply can slow down the display of threads.

The four choices are:

No - Default Setting
Yes - Do Not Show Editor Toolbar
Yes - Show Standard Editor Toolbar
Yes - Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Editor Toolbar
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04, 11:20 AM   #58
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: wow nvnews forums has a new interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
supah

once you get used to the quick reply box you will not want a forum w/o it
It now works!! u 64 bit wh..e

NOW ...say thanks to MikeC and JuiceZ and Max and Gafami !

Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04, 11:40 AM   #59
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji
Thumbs up Re: wow nvnews forums has a new interface

Damn ! I wasn't at home during the WE and I just noticed the forum changed its look. Great work, now it's the second most beautiful forum I've seen in my whole life . Congrats guys .

mrsabidji
Old 03-22-04, 11:49 AM   #60
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Re: wow nvnews forums has a new interface

I really do love the look of the forum now, it's just so neat and clean.