Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-04, 09:24 PM   #1
Remxi

Question How do I change the gcc version so I can compile the NVIDIA kernel module?

When I tried to install the NVIDIA drivers, I got the following message:

"You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with a compiler different from the one that was used to compile the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and system crashes.

If you know what you are doing and want to override this check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.

In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel."

Following the instructions in the FAQ, I found out that the compiler version used to compile the running kernel was gcc 2.7.2.3, but the version of the compiler currently running was 2.95.4. I wanted to know how I could obtain the older version of gcc and set it to be the current compiler so I can compile the NVIDIA kernel module.

I'm using Debian 3.0r1 with the 2.2.20 kernel.
Remxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-04, 07:52 AM   #2
vlsoft

Default Re: How do I change the gcc version so I can compile the NVIDIA kernel module?

Do You really need to get the other compiler?
I think setting the environmental variable you mentioned above,
helps you.(IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH)
By the way: the best solution is to compile a kernel for yourself, it's not a big deal,
you only have to do is include the things you have in your computer to the kernel,
add module support, and everything will be fine, the nvidia drivers will compile
with the new kernel...
The 2.4.25 version of the kernel will be great for you...
Good luck.
vlsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 01:24 AM   #3
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: How do I change the gcc version so I can compile the NVIDIA kernel module?

Installing the correct gcc version would be something debian specific since the compiler used to build the kernel is available somewhere in the project.. usually you'd install a package with a name like 'gcc27' for the older releases.

You'd then set the CC environment variable, like CC=gcc27

To clarify how the ignore environment variable is used, you need to run this command before running the installer.
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
Old 03-27-04, 01:35 AM   #4
crimsun

Hi Remxi,

I recommend you upgrade to a 2.4 or a 2.6 kernel. Please see this site: http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debi...dia/index.html

In this manner, you'll be able to use your currently-installed version of GCC 2.95 to compile the Nvidia kernel module.
crimsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 01:54 AM   #5
666_1337

Send a message via ICQ to 666_1337
Post Re: How do I change the gcc version so I can compile the NVIDIA kernel module?

i would REALLY suggest you to upgrade...
linux 2.6 has a new memory manager, which increased performance over 50% on my machine.
gcc 3.4 (will release this week) surely builds 20% faster binaries than 2.7...
666_1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 04:52 AM   #6
Moled
cheese

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-03/msg01259.html
Moled is offline   Reply With Quote