Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-02, 09:13 PM   #1
Webgraph

Default NVidia Display Drivers screw up KDE

Thanks to bigredlinux's suggestion, I decided to start a new thread concerning my problem.

The problem I'm having with the latest NVidia Display Drivers is that KDE will no longer work, nor will any of the KDE applications. Thus, I don't get the X server at startup, but I can still access the other GUI's without difficulty. When I type in "StartX", no matter if I'm logged on as root or as a user, it displays the following messages in the X server:

Couldn't load kdeinit: Please check your installation.
Couldn't load ksmserver: Please check your installation.

This is not exact, but close enough. I also got the following script in the terminal:

XFree86 Version 4.2.1 / X Window System
(protocol version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
Release Date: 3 September 2002
(displays warnings about newer video cards)
Build OS: Linux 2.4.18-23mdkenterprise i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default set, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log File: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Oct 3 16:09:25 2002
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Using vt7
(II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit

Waiting for X server to shut down.

With this, would you need the log file to see the actual cause of the problem? If so, let me know. I really need to get KDE up and running again. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-02, 10:49 PM   #2
bwkaz

Hmmm... what do which kdeinit and which ksmserver print?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-02, 02:50 PM   #3
Webgraph

Doesn't say which one. But I do know the KDE verison I have is 3.0.3.
Old 10-05-02, 03:09 PM   #4
bwkaz

No no, which is a command that searches through your $PATH looking for whatever you give it on its command line (in this case, kdeinit and ksmserver). If it finds one, it prints out the (first) full path to it. If not, it prints "which: no kdeinit found in <bunch of directories corresponding to the current $PATH>".

On my partition that still has KDE 3.0.1 installed on it, which kdeinit says /usr/kde3/bin/kdeinit. On my main partition, where I use twm instead (yeah, I know, I'm weird for that, oh well ), which kdeinit prints "which: no kdeinit found in /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_02/bin:/usr/local/bin". What does it print on your system?
Old 10-05-02, 09:43 PM   #5
Webgraph

Well in my case, here's the results after typing which:

kdeinit - /usr/bin/kdeinit
ksmserver /usr/bin/ksmserver

This was generated using XTerm.
Old 10-06-02, 11:56 AM   #6
bwkaz

Hmmm.... so it's not that it can't find kdeinit or ksmserver, I was hoping that that was the problem.

If you boot to text mode, log in, then do a X & (which will look really bad, just an X-shaped pointer for the mouse, and a gray background), then switch back to whichever console you logged in on (probably 1 -- so try Ctrl-Alt-F1), then do an export DISPLAY=:0.0 from there, and then a kdeinit, what does kdeinit tell you? I'm guessing there's an underlying error message somewhere here, and this is the easiest way I can think of to find it... but I am running out of ideas.
Old 10-06-02, 02:18 PM   #7
crazyowl

i had this same problem and found that it had something to do with nvidia GLX not being installed properly ..(no libGL.so)... i rebuilt the rpms as guided by the red hat 8.0 success. instructions post and it works now..
crazyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 02:17 PM   #8
Webgraph

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Hmmm.... so it's not that it can't find kdeinit or ksmserver, I was hoping that that was the problem.

If you boot to text mode, log in, then do a X & (which will look really bad, just an X-shaped pointer for the mouse, and a gray background), then switch back to whichever console you logged in on (probably 1 -- so try Ctrl-Alt-F1), then do an export DISPLAY=:0.0 from there, and then a kdeinit, what does kdeinit tell you? I'm guessing there's an underlying error message somewhere here, and this is the easiest way I can think of to find it... but I am running out of ideas.
Yes, I got some error messages. Here is what I got following your commands:

DCOPServer up and running
Couldn't open required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2362' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

Would this be of any help to you?

Old 10-08-02, 02:21 PM   #9
Webgraph

Anyone?
Old 10-08-02, 07:13 PM   #10
bwkaz

Yes, that helps. I must have missed it when you posted yesterday.

It's explicitly looking for libGL.so.1.2 in /usr/X11R6/lib, but the GLX driver installs nVidia's version into /usr/lib (which is where it should be; I don't know who compiled that version of KDE, but I think they were a bit ... strange, making it hardcode the path to the library like that). This may not work, but it's worth a shot. Try cd /usr/X11R6/lib and then (as root) ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so libGL.so.1.2 && ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so.1 && ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so. Run /sbin/ldconfig after all that, and see if KDE starts up.

What these commands are doing is faking KDE into thinking there's a libGL.so.1.2 file in the directory it's looking for it, so that (hopefully) it finds it. But it's just a symlink to the real libGL (the nVidia one), so you still get hardware acceleration.

*crosses fingers*
Old 10-08-02, 08:38 PM   #11
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA
Angry Rant about library linkage

<rant type=mild>

Why do they have to do this? it seems ridiculous to link against an explicit library name! It would be much easier if they linked against common shared object names and saved us all a lot of trouble!

</rant>

Of course, there is the problem of API divergence and unexpected behavior, but aren't there ways to check that at compile-time or run-time?

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 08:57 PM   #12
Webgraph

Thank you, bwkaz! My problems are now solved! So now I know what to do when I use the tarball method again! BTW, the performance must have at least fivefolded with the new drivers!