Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-04, 02:32 PM   #1
digitalwanderer

Exclamation I got some issues with nVnews...

...and I was advised in this thread I started over at Beyond3D titled "nVnews shenanigans" about Chambers rather misleading benchmark scores on his front page that if I had grievances with something at nVnews than I should complain about it at nVnews.

So here I am.

I found the chart to be misleading and not representative of ANYTHING other than how much better one system was than another. Someone else over at B3D summed up my grievances with MikeC's chart better than I could, so I quote:

Quote:
He goes from a Radeon 9xxx Pro to a GeForce FX, a card which is known to have inferior capabilities when it comes to PS2.0. He then concludes that the equal framerate means you can't improve there till next gen, failing to take into account that only a move to a new processor and a 9800 XT with no change would have shown that. Even then you could have concluded it was the CPU not the GPU that led to the boost.
Also in that thread, a friend of mine posted this up:

Quote:
Things have changed at NVnews around the time the NEW SERVER was put in. AT the time the server was down, there was a message on the front page saying thank Nvidia for out new server and our foums will be up soon. After about a hour the message was gone.
Is this true? If so, why was the message pulled and just where did the new server come from?

Those are my issues, I tried to present them as non-flamey as possible in hopes they will actually be addressed rather than this thread closed and locked. I made the attempt, the ball is in your court now.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 04-05-04, 02:38 PM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: I got some issues with nVnews...

digi...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26914

the 'issue' was raised there and answered...

again I fail to understand why you have a problem with this... this is a mountain out of a mole-hill started of by volt's rather clever use of including JUST the img from the front page with no allusions to the rest of the post..

do you honestly feel mislead when you read the article as it is presented?

maybe its just me and my feelings bout the cpu since I have the same damn thing but when I saw the article I was like hmmm... nice boost over the 3000+... thats all I cared about... and having seen the other articles on the internet thus far there is no dicernible difference between the halo benchmark scores for a 5950 and a 9800pro/xt card...

yes it uses pp (you consider it cheating) but it is part of the feature set of the nv3x series... ati does everything @ fixed precision... nv uses a mix... keep in mind that uttar and dave and others have said there is no fx in the equation... just fp...

I would have loved if you had started this particular topic on this forum rather than blabbing about it on EB and then starting crap @ b3d...

b3d is a good technical site.. it does not need b.s. threads like what you started to pull down its reputation...
Old 04-05-04, 02:52 PM   #3
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
digi...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26914

the 'issue' was raised there and answered...
Well it's good that Mike apologized for his error, but it would have been better as an adendum on the front page just like the chart was IMHO.

Quote:
again I fail to understand why you have a problem with this... this is a mountain out of a mole-hill started of by volt's rather clever use of including JUST the img from the front page with no allusions to the rest of the post..

do you honestly feel mislead when you read the article as it is presented?
Actually I made my initial post at B3D about it after seeing the post about it on EB which was pretty much just the chart. If I had read the whole thing first I probably STILL would have posted a thread that was just about the same, but I would have mentioned more of the story behind it.

I still don't think it's right, and I still think it appears to show a bias.

Quote:
yes it uses pp (you consider it cheating) but it is part of the feature set of the nv3x series... ati does everything @ fixed precision... nv uses a mix... keep in mind that uttar and dave and others have said there is no fx in the equation... just fp...
Just because you consider it a non-issue does not mean that everyone considers it a non-issue....believe it or not I'm not the only one who still "consider it cheating".

Quote:
I would have loved if you had started this particular topic on this forum rather than blabbing about it on EB and then starting crap @ b3d...
I don't feel welcome at nVnews, I feel it's changed into a biased site where the mods ridicule people and allow fanboys to flame...as long as they're nVidia fanboys doing the flaming.

Quote:
b3d is a good technical site.. it does not need b.s. threads like what you started to pull down its reputation...
B3D is an excellent technical site, the very best there is. One of it's greatest strengths is that it is a melting pot of input from all the other tech sites out there as there tends to be a lot of mods/admins/heavy contributors to other sites that all tend to hang-out there and share their knowledge/insights/guesses...it's kind of why I think they made a "Graphics Company" forum so they'd have a place to put all the discussions about the various websites & vendors. (All IMHO of course)

If they have a problem with what I'm posting there, I'm sure they'd tell me...they haven't been shy about such things in the past.

Just on a sidenote, I won't be able to post to this thread for a little while. Please don't think I'm in one of my moods, I gotta go and assemble a bowflex and I'm going to be tied up.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 04-05-04, 03:00 PM   #4
Clay

Thanks for posting this here Digi (where it belongs in the first place IMO). This just seems to be a case of some people misinterpreting Mike's news post. To suggest anything else is a reach to say the least IMO.

As for the new server and your friend stating that "there was a message on the front page saying thank Nvidia for out new server"...I never saw that message and NVIDIA had nothing to do with it as far as I know. Again, sounds like grasping at straws stuff to me.
Old 04-05-04, 03:06 PM   #5
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

you are missing the big picture...

mike made no error... he was apologizing that the poster had believed it was something it was not... mike made clear his intentions...

again I point to the original post @ EB which started all this... I have a feeling you think what you did is right and I guess I can understand that... but understand also you are talking about the whole community here... not just mike... not just the mods...

volt was WRONG in posting what he did... I think you know very well he was wrong... and also the perceived image of nvnews had you posted the whole thing instead of just that one image would have been different...

instead you put forth an unsupported image (unless you visited this forum) and I noticed only a couple of other people bothered to post any further details till I posted mike original text...

this whole thing would have remained a non-issue had a couple of people not furthered their own agenda digi... and believe me reading comments @ your site does not dispell the fact that there is an agenda...

do a search for number of sites here that have EB sucks threads or b3d sucks threads or anything of the like... its just not constructive in any way/shape or form...

nvnews is a welcoming community... there are lots of nice people here who will treat you in kind... badmouthing the community behind its back will not endear people to you however... keep that in mind...

PP hints are part of the spec... go beat up on m$ for being biased please... we have all beaten the proverbial dead horse multiple times over this issue... I don't hold nvidia in the highest of regards but @ the same time not everything they do is wrong... I am not that much of a fanboi...

u will notice several fanboi's have left this site (mainly banned afaik) from both sides of the equation... no fanboi... either nv or ati biased adds anything to a discussion... some go over the top...

wrt b3d... did dave not post a sticky saying he did not like the direction some threads were heading in wrt content? I am absolutely positive he did... please correct me if I am wrong...

btw... hope the bowflex work out helps your ticker... you gotta live a long time yet so we can have discussions my dad had high BP... I think he's gonna consider it too though he abhors physical excercise (still fit as a fiddle since he walks so much)... I recommended changing his diet but I had a feeling he'd rather offer me as a sacrifice than do that

Last edited by Sazar; 04-05-04 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 03:13 PM   #6
gafami

Exclamation Re: I got some issues with nVnews...

let me jump in here real quick and introduce myself (in case you don't know who i am)... My name's Joerg Battermann, and I am the guy administrating the nvNews server, but I am -independant- from nvNews AND Nvidia. Mike paid me whenever he needed my work and so does he for the server. I made suggestions where he would get a good one, he paid for it.. not Nvidia. Nvidia has -nothing- to do with the server itself, it's mike that pays the bills, and me who keeps it running. And I do know who logs in and has access to the server.. and who not.

This brings me to the next point... this 'message', that someone said showed up just for an hour on the nvNews main page, stating that Nvidia pays for all this etc etc - this is NOT the case - Period. I did the move and I know when what was put online or not.. and since there are no payments involved from Nvidia, why would -I- or Mike... the only 2 people who -might- have had access (actually just I did) to the server during this time.. post this message? Mike paid me directly, so does he for the Server,

In case you have any more questions (bear with my bad grammar etc.. i am -tired³-), ask here, via pm or e-mail... send a "message in a bottle", carrier pigeon or whatsoever...

sincerely,
-joerg battermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalwanderer
...and I was advised in this thread I started over at Beyond3D titled "nVnews shenanigans" about Chambers rather misleading benchmark scores on his front page that if I had grievances with something at nVnews than I should complain about it at nVnews.

So here I am.

I found the chart to be misleading and not representative of ANYTHING other than how much better one system was than another. Someone else over at B3D summed up my grievances with MikeC's chart better than I could, so I quote:

Also in that thread, a friend of mine posted this up:

Is this true? If so, why was the message pulled and just where did the new server come from?

Those are my issues, I tried to present them as non-flamey as possible in hopes they will actually be addressed rather than this thread closed and locked. I made the attempt, the ball is in your court now.

Last edited by gafami; 04-05-04 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 03:28 PM   #7
poursoul
i eat people

Witch hunt.
Old 04-05-04, 03:32 PM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

which witch ?

Old 04-05-04, 03:40 PM   #9
Clay

Quote:
which witch ?
Digifoot perhaps?

Old 04-05-04, 03:42 PM   #10
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

thats evil... and for that reason the pistons will knock off the pacers

j/k

I like the pacers...
Old 04-05-04, 03:50 PM   #11
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
thats evil... and for that reason the pistons will knock off the pacers

j/k

I like the pacers...
Cavs gonna knock off them pacers!
Old 04-05-04, 03:59 PM   #12
Clay

Sazar, discipledoc meet me over here sometime and I'll trash talk you both outta your britches.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26935
Closed Thread