Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-02, 06:54 PM   #1
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Default Precompiled NVIDIA_GLX NVIDIA_kernel question

I know that nVidia offers both the source and precompiled binary rpms on their webpage. But as we all know the source is essentially wrappers around precompiled binaries.

They have several versions of precompiled binaries for RedHat rpms all the way from i386.rpm to athlon.rpm. Does anybody know if the whole binary is compiled with that platform in mind, or is it just a athlon, i686, etc. wrapper compiled around an i386 inner binary?

Hope that makes sense.

Wouldn't it be great if nVidia offered the whole inner binary for different platforms (i586, i686, athlon) on these different platforms within a .src.rpm so it can be rebuilt to any version of Linux? They could also offer the same with .tar.gz files as well.

Nothing I would like more than a little performance boost from using an optimized binary for the platform. I don't think that would be hard to do, so hopefully they would accept a recommendation like this.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't that offer a little performance boost in graphics speed especially on i686 and athlon systems?

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 09:57 PM   #2
bwkaz

There would be a slight performance boost, yes. But what I wish they'd do (and I realize this will probably never happen, but I can still hope) is release the source to everything -- both Module-nvkernel and libGL/libGLcore/nvidia_drv. Again, I doubt it'll ever happen, but it would definitely be nice...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote