Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-30-04, 03:35 PM   #169
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: ~ | Official FarCry (retail) Feedback Thread! | ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Your system is more than enough capable to run Far Cry except your 9700 Pro card, it had memory limited of 128Mb. Far Cry will need videocards with 256Mb and more to run smooth with all graphics options at maximum.

I needed to upgrade when I played the demo but that changed when I played retail version, I am really very surprised it ran very smooth at 1024x768 with 8xAF and all graphics and sound options to the maximum. I see no urgently need to upgrade soon, my system is now extended to further 6 months until it upgrade with Athlon 64 and NV45 when Doom 3 and Half Life 2 due out, by that time my system will be 3 years old.

This is not true. I run far cry on my win box in the sig below and it is smooth as a baby's bottom.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 03:42 PM   #170
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy
There is a difference in todays games, when you stress the card. Case in point.

82 vs. 66 in 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF.
61 vs. 34 in 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF.

Id say CoD fits in to the "todays games" catagory. As I said, when stressing the card, there is a pretty large difference. If you play at 1024x768 with no or minimal AA/AF you arent likely to see much of a real difference. Once you get into higher res' and add in AA/AF, the 9800XT pulls itself away by a large margine in most games.
fall... m8.. the difference is solely due to the memory.. not the speed of the gpu... keep in mind the difference is smaller when you compare the 256mb version of 9800pro and 9800xt... ergo a 256mb version of teh 9700pro would be right up there...

wouldl I want a 9800XT.. you bet I would...

but they have no AIW version... and since I can oc my card beyond stock 9800pro if needed there is no want on my part to upgrade..
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 03:52 PM   #171
fallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
My point was well made. Why you have to keep this up is beyond me. It is just a video card. Let it go.
Your "point" was proven wrong. There is a pretty large difference between the two when stressing the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
fall... m8.. the difference is solely due to the memory.. not the speed of the gpu... keep in mind the difference is smaller when you compare the 256mb version of 9800pro and 9800xt... ergo a 256mb version of teh 9700pro would be right up there...
I never said the ram didnt have anything to do with it, did I? Nope. I simple refuted his claim that there is no real difference between the two in todays games.

That being said, the almost extra 100Mhz on the core, and 50Mhz on the ram does play a part in it. Not as much as the extra ram when dealing in high res+AA/AF though.
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 04:01 PM   #172
UDawg
Retired spammer

Honestly you are childish. You keep missing the point I made from the beginning. That point was there is not enough of a difference to upgrade from the 9700pro to a 9800XT because the 9800XT costs $500. You cannot justify that huge price for the amount in performance increase, unless you just want the latest and greatest.

You can play FC with high setting and get 50FPS and that is a very very nice setting. The fact that you can set the game at "ULTRA" high settings and get 70FPS does not justify the $500 you would spend to upgrade from a 9700pro.

No place did I say the 9800XT is not the fastest card or a faster card. Get over you nit picking. Video card geeks such as your self drive me nuts.

BTW I was talking to Riptide who is a friend of mine and knows a good deal about puters. I was just giving him some friendly advice. It was none of you business to begin with. Maybe I should have PMd' him so video card geeks wouldn't get their panties in a bind.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 04:51 PM   #173
Riptide

UDawg, I believe you are right. While I fully admit that I was not aware of the fact the performance differential is a bit larger when you start talking AA/AF at the same time we're still only dealing with what, 25% at best? Is 25% faster worth a $500 purchase when you can get a 9700Pro 128MB for well under $200 right now? Absolutely, without a doubt, HELL NO.

The 9800XT is a waste. Pure and simple. The price is absolutely insane and it is not worth the money even if you are going to run AA/AF and high resolutions. 25%? That is laughable.

So in short, I was ignorant about the numbers @ the beyond3d review he posted. However, I stand behind what I said and what you are saying: the 9800XT is absolutely not worth $500 when you can get a 25% slower card (9700Pro) for $300 less. Period.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 05:06 PM   #174
fallguy

Quote:
Honestly you are childish. You keep missing the point I made from the beginning. That point was there is not enough of a difference to upgrade from the 9700pro to a 9800XT because the 9800XT costs $500. You cannot justify that huge price for the amount in performance increase, unless you just want the latest and greatest.

You can play FC with high setting and get 50FPS and that is a very very nice setting. The fact that you can set the game at "ULTRA" high settings and get 70FPS does not justify the $500 you would spend to upgrade from a 9700pro.

No place did I say the 9800XT is not the fastest card or a faster card. Get over you nit picking. Video card geeks such as your self drive me nuts.

BTW I was talking to Riptide who is a friend of mine and knows a good deal about puters. I was just giving him some friendly advice. It was none of you business to begin with. Maybe I should have PMd' him so video card geeks wouldn't get their panties in a bind.
I didnt miss anything. I never said it was a good idea to upgrade from a 9700 Pro, to a 9800XT. Although, the 9800XT can be had for far less than $500. You made a false statement, and I corrected you on it. Just admit you were wrong, and move on.

Quote:
There is not real difference between the 9800XT and the 9700pro in games today.
That is wrong.

Haha, now Im a geek because I proved your statement wrong? Nice. I see name calling is common in these forums. Not sure how many "geeks" have a wife like my avatar.
Old 03-30-04, 05:12 PM   #175
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by discipledoc
This is not true. I run far cry on my win box in the sig below and it is smooth as a baby's bottom.
Is your AIW 9800 Pro have 256Mb RAM? 9700 Pro only got 128Mb.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 05:17 PM   #176
Riptide

Yes, you can get the retail built by ATI package for $430 if you look on pricewatch. Best Buy raped me.
You can go a bit lower if you want OEM, say around $405.

If you think 25% counts as a "real" difference in performance then I guess so... But 25% is about the most you'll see in any situation and even then I personally don't consider that to be a "real" difference. It's a difference, albeit barely tangible.

BTW, is the lady in the avatar your wife?

Old 03-30-04, 05:26 PM   #177
UDawg
Retired spammer

My whole point to RIPTIDE was that there is not a big enough reason to upgrade from a 9700pro to the 9800XT. (I am typing slow for you) My first post did was about that although I did not say those exact words. (still typing slow for you) You picked sentence out and jumped on it. Wee! As riptide said a whopping 25% increase. If that is a major difference in todays games then I guess you have a point.

Quote:
Is that your wife in the avatar?
LOL I can pick a bikini model off the net and say it is my wife also. Most guys who have a good looking wife don't put them in avatars.

BTW quit crying about name calling and yes it is common in forums. If you can't handle being called a geek then maybe you need thicker skin.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 05:32 PM   #178
bknblk
Filthy Pinko

UDawg,

Why are you wasting your time with this guy? We have intelligent conversationalists in the political forum. Well, excluding ******, *******,****, and ******. Do me a favor and PM your sig. to me as formatted. Ty.
The whole idea of a Palestinian nation and a Palestinian people is an invention of Arab propaganda. Arafat was himself an Egyptian. The only people to have lived continuously on the land from time immemorial are Jews. So many others have conquered, ruled, thrived and ultimately perished there that the list would take hundreds of pages. A mere sample would include: Byzantines, Persians, Arabs, Turks, Circassians, Kurds, Abbassids (Iraqis), Egyptians, Kharezmians (Genghis Khan), Mamluks, Mongols, Latins (Crusaders), Ottomans, French and English.

It is not and never was Palestinian land.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."....Ronald Reagan

"You guys are still crying about Fox News? Damn you little sandy vagina metro sexual emos need to grow a pair of balls."....UDawg(FTMFW)
bknblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 05:44 PM   #179
Riptide

Hell, even if I were buying a brand new PC this very day I wouldn't get an XT. It's ridiculous, $500 for 25% more performance than a $200 card? H-E-L-L N-O.
Old 03-30-04, 06:05 PM   #180
fallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Yes, you can get the retail built by ATI package for $430 if you look on pricewatch. Best Buy raped me.
You can go a bit lower if you want OEM, say around $405.

If you think 25% counts as a "real" difference in performance then I guess so... But 25% is about the most you'll see in any situation and even then I personally don't consider that to be a "real" difference. It's a difference, albeit barely tangible.

BTW, is the lady in the avatar your wife?
The link I posted shows an almost 50% increase at 1600x1200. But as I stated, if you dont stress the card, and play at a lower res with no AA/AF you wont see much of a difference. Ive already stated that I think the $200 9800 Pro is probably the best deal going.

Yes, its my wife.

Quote:
My whole point to RIPTIDE was that there is not a big enough reason to upgrade from a 9700pro to the 9800XT. (I am typing slow for you) My first post did was about that although I did not say those exact words. (still typing slow for you) You picked sentence out and jumped on it. Wee! As riptide said a whopping 25% increase. If that is a major difference in todays games then I guess you have a point.

LOL I can pick a bikini model off the net and say it is my wife also. Most guys who have a good looking wife don't put them in avatars.

BTW quit crying about name calling and yes it is common in forums. If you can't handle being called a geek then maybe you need thicker skin.
Ok since you said, "There is not real difference between the 9800XT and the 9700pro in games today. Save your money. Some here will tell you the 9800XT is blah blah blah much faster but in real game play (as you fund out) they are almost the same." I suppose "almost the same" is a personal call, but I wouldnt call 25% and higher, "almost the same".

Yeah, Im lying that its my wife, haha. Jealous? I dont care if anyone knows shes my wife. That was taken at our honeymoon 9 years ago next month.

I dont care what name you call me. I was pointing it out because it shows your lack of maturity. I have not, insulted you in any way, yet you feel like you have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Hell, even if I were buying a brand new PC this very day I wouldn't get an XT. It's ridiculous, $500 for 25% more performance than a $200 card? H-E-L-L N-O.
Once again, its only $500 at retail stores. If you buy it there, then you arent a smart shopper.