Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-04, 09:42 AM   #241
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Re: ~ | Official FarCry (retail) Feedback Thread! | ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Those rockets don't seem very effective at times either.
They were a godsend when I was able to save some in the earlier levels and take out some boats and jeeps coming my way, but in the later levels they lose their luster because of how ineffective they are against those big Trigens!
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 09:51 AM   #242
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I've hardly used rockets up to this point in the game. I've found the sniper rifle to be much more effective. I like how you're able to get it so early in the game. Ammo can be scarce at times, but I've always found myself with just the right number of bullets for any occasion where that weapon comes in handy.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 10:27 AM   #243
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
I've hardly used rockets up to this point in the game. I've found the sniper rifle to be much more effective. I like how you're able to get it so early in the game. Ammo can be scarce at times, but I've always found myself with just the right number of bullets for any occasion where that weapon comes in handy.
The problem is that in the later levels you've got these huge Rocket-totting Trigens who don't even flinch when you shoot them w/ the Sniper rifle and it takes at least four rockets to take them out. You gotta use all your old school deathmatch skills to take them out w/ the Shotgun....at least that's best strategy I've come up with so far.
Old 04-08-04, 10:39 AM   #244
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
You gotta use all your old school deathmatch skills to take them out w/ the Shotgun....at least that's best strategy I've come up with so far.
Jump around like a tard, circle-strafe, get in close and pump 'em full 'o buckshot - been there, done that. It really is the best way to deal with 'em. Actually the best best way is to wait out those battles among the tragen and other AI. Let 'em kill and tire each other out, then run in and pick off the stragglers.
Old 04-08-04, 11:03 AM   #245
Riptide

Good advice saturnotaku. I sometimes like to use one of my rifles from a ways off and just put rounds into their face from a distance. If I'm forced to get in close I like to try the above method. Rockets with these guys are, as stated above, a waste. Better to save them for vehicles and clusters of mercs.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 11:05 AM   #246
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Jump around like a tard, circle-strafe, get in close and pump 'em full 'o buckshot - been there, done that. It really is the best way to deal with 'em. Actually the best best way is to wait out those battles among the tragen and other AI. Let 'em kill and tire each other out, then run in and pick off the stragglers.
Yea, that is the best solution. I just don't always have the patience to wait it out. Also, I was spotted many times when I thought I was well hidden, and just watching the fight. Now that I know that the enemy AI is not affected by the foliage, while I am........I have adjusted my hiding schemes. If I just recently passed a save point then I'll usually go into one of these situations gun-blazing so I can see what kind of "numbers" I'm dealing with and then adjust my strategy accordingly on the next try.
Old 04-09-04, 03:18 AM   #247
Blacklash
8^9^3

Get close but just out of melee range on the rocket arm Trigen, and circle strafe when they ready to fire. I own them with the shotgun. Circle/fire rinse repeat. Anyone play Everquest in the past? I had a Rogue that I perfected that technique on, the rogue community called it the 'circle of death'. Or rapidly getting just behind someone's elbow to execute a backstab. I like to run those melee fellows at the mosque in "Painkiller" around the same way, circling and firing into them all the while. It's sort of like a wagon train of death then :P Anywho it's wonderful when the shottie gets a clean one hit kill on mercs and the monkey Trigen too.

Always scope the towers in camps with the sniper rifle for launcher mercs and hit them first. If you are nuts you can always make a mad dash for mounted mini guns if they are not too far, because if you get one going it can be major ass whupping.

The last thing that annoys me about launcher mercs is that the asshats will blow the both of you up using those things at point blank range.

Someone else mentioned the Volcano level. *chuckles* The first time I tried it I was like, "You can NOT be serious." Got it done on the third try.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 07:52 AM   #248
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
If I just recently passed a save point then I'll usually go into one of these situations gun-blazing so I can see what kind of "numbers" I'm dealing with and then adjust my strategy accordingly on the next try.
I've found this approach to be quite effective as well. Definitely saves some aggravation over the course of the game.

Old 04-09-04, 02:47 PM   #249
UDawg
Retired spammer

I would stick my toe out of a door way or throw a rock to draw them to my position. They had to come to the door way which acted like a choke point. I then pick them off one by one with head shots. They usually would come sneaking up so they make it easy.

The rockey baddies will go down with niper head shots. Three I believe it takes. The problem is sniper amo is rare.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 03:08 PM   #250
Riptide

So what difficulty are you guys playing this baddy on?? I'm using veteran difficulty, and it's pretty tough IMO. The highest level, to me, would be a serious exercise in frustration.
Old 04-09-04, 04:31 PM   #251
UDawg
Retired spammer

I am replaying on the realistic mode. The only difference I noticed is they are better shots. Maybe it isn't has hard for me since I already when through the game.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 05:10 PM   #252
Riptide

UDawg, there are a few spots where it seems like I had to try about 20 times to get through it. One example (SPOILER ALERT):
-----------------------------------------------------------------

When you take out Krieger... He's not so bad but I had one hell of a time trying to get past those 4 guards that are right by him. I finally got frustrated and used the damn rocket launcher on them. Every time I tried the rifle I would get 2 of them right away but one or the other would come running around that reception desk and ding me before I could reload. It was really annoying.