Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-04, 11:35 AM   #277
Shaitan

Default Re: ~ | Official FarCry (retail) Feedback Thread! | ~

Well, I got rid of FC. The sp was amazing, even tho I really don`t dig monsters, they did them pretty well. And the game ran awesome for me on all highest settings accepting for shadows on low. And no AA, at 1024x768x32.
MP is what lost me. Tho it looks amazing, mp IMHO just isn`t balanced right. It feels more like mindless SOF 2. And I am not gonna wait for some perfect mod to come along and hope the whole damn community gets it. Nope, I went out and picked up Purple Haze: VC. Terrain engine may not be anywhere near FCs, but I love the hi rez weaps, the hi rez players models and motion capture as well. And the terrain does the job most admirably.
The sp game rocked accepting for a few niggles, and the mp just sucks ya into the mil combat experience. Co op against the A.I. as well. I however await the possible games coming that may use the FC engine. After seeing the Unreal 3 engine footage, that is what I really hope for now, games using THAT engine.
WD VelociRaptors X 2 in RAID 0
BFG 295 GTX Rev. B
Enermax Galaxy 850 psu
CoolIT Systems Freezone
Samsung 2233rz
Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-04, 02:08 AM   #278
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by de><ta
Is it true that you can run FarCry on Linux? I thought it was an April's Fool prank by crytek

edit:
Here is the link: http://0wnitsch.de/index.php?x=FAQ&amp;y=9

I tried searching the forum's here using the key: farcry linux
and nothing turned up.
Yes it does in OpenGL, you'd be surprised how well, according to someone I spoke to in IRC it's was surprising
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-04, 02:15 PM   #279
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

After having been away from the game for a while I finally finished it. The ending was disappointing to say the least, but as of right now Far Cry definitely is the top contender for Game of the Year.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 07:31 AM   #280
walkndude

No doubt, the ending made me want to hurt someone.

If this game ends up in the top 5 of games released this year, I'll be sorely dissapointed... visually stunning as it is, and giving credit to the absolutely huge levels as well as downright fun physics engine, the gameplay just flattens out too quickly.

Bummer is that as the last portion of the game picks up you get slapped in the face with an ending that seems more like a cruel joke.

heh, and while I'm at it whats with the nasty looking bink video cutscenes throughout the game ?
Old 05-07-04, 02:49 PM   #281
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Could the people with SBLive/Audigy cards, and popping sounds, try this ?

I have the original SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II.
I've been using the YouP-Pax Drivers, (hacked Audigy2 drivers) for a while now.
But when I installed the latest YouP-PAX-V, I started getting lots of popping/cracking sounds in DX games, not OpenGL.
After buying Farcry, I loaded it up only to hear the most pronounced popping I've yet heard. It was terrible, and actually made the game unplayable. So after trying everything, I ended up running Regmon, and logged everything I played.
When I went over the logs, I spotted many instances where there were bufferoverflows happening at this address

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Creative Tech\Emu10kx\DriverSettings\Wave\Pin#00000002]

Yours may vary slightly, but there is a DWORD called "Turbo". I changed the setting from

"Turbo"=dword:00000001 to
"Turbo"=dword:00000000

This fixed every game I now run, especially Farcry, which now sounds superb.
Sorry for the rather long post, but I thought it may help some of you with similar probs.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 03:04 PM   #282
SlamDunk

Thanks for that and your efforts (clever!) but it did not help in my case :/
SlamDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 04:38 PM   #283
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Thanks for that and your efforts (clever!) but it did not help in my case :/
Shame about that, I thought it may fix many people's problems. I guess the mileage varies.
Although, I've just installed Driverheaven's latest guide

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthre...threadid=45004

Which allows you to install the Audigy 2 ZX driver CD on any creative card, from the SBLive upwards.
After the installation, the popping returned, along with the "Turbo" setting to 1. Putting it back to 0, again, fixed the popping.
So it could be just for older creative cards and that specific setting.

Why not try the logging method I used, above ?
Download ntregmon at www.sysinternals.com
Run it, and log *.*
Then run Farcry in a Window, play a quick session, exit, then stop the logging in regmon, and have a look around. Perhaps something like bufferoverflows, or something, may stand out ?
Worth a try.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 05:05 PM   #284
SlamDunk

Hehe. This is just great. Running Far Cry + regmon crashes the system in window/full screen mode
SlamDunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-04, 10:25 AM   #285
Geordan

Awww bum, I just go Far Cry but there seems to be a problem.

I'm running a leadtek 5900 on a XP 2600 and I'm getting these strange LOD problems. The ground no matter what the setting, looks worse than low, it's just colours, no texture, and props 100m off don't get rendered. I'll see if I can get a screenie.

Anyways, I've patched the thing (I just got an entire light blue screen before the patch) and bounced around to all sorts of different driver versions but nothings working. I had the same problem with the demo. Anyone know any console commands or anything that could remedy the problem?

I hate whining, but it's sooooo frustrating. And I hate Ubisoft, first Pandora Tomorow and now this. They gotta get a better QA department.

-Geordan
Geordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 09:12 PM   #286
photophreak314

I just really started to play this game, and it is really good so far.

I was running it at 1024X768, everything High except for Particles (medium) and water (ultra high) quite well, until I discovered that it runs the same at 800X600 2XAA/2AF, so thats what I'm running it at, and it looks alot better (less jaggies, but a bit grainier, which I don't really care about, it's the jaggies and blurred textures that get to me) Some parts are pretty cool, ie, merc on chain being dragged up chute (see pic). I'm not very far, as I have been playing SC: PT for quite a while, and decided to alternate between the two for now. Graphics are amazing, reflections off of everything, and thats with a PS1.1 card (ti4600)!! PS2.0 must either be incredible or just over rated.

I'm running it in OpenGL mode atm, indoors is incredible, outdoors is fubar, so I just change it to DX if I go outside for any period of time, or I might just stay DX, although OpenGL gives me a 10fps performance boost(indoors too, with exact same visuals, outdoor boost as well, but some black textures and grey "skyscrapers" everywhere when you look at things a certain angle). I had that audio popping issue for a while, until I noticed the above post to fix that issue. Thanks alot!!

All in all, very good, a nice change from stealth and halo, so I can't complain, although I haven't tried MP yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FarCry 2004-05-27 18-49-52-57_small.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	6075  
Old 05-29-04, 08:55 AM   #287
Arioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDunk
I've been reading stuff about using a USB keyboard instead of PS/2 keyboard fixes the popping sound issue.
That may be a fix since I had this problem on my old PC using a SB Audigy2 Platinum and was using a PS/2 keyboard. My new PC has the SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum but is using a USB keyboard. If anyone has access to a USB keyboard and is having this sound problem, it is worth a shot.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 11:03 PM   #288
maniacjc

anyone have any cheat codes to help me, I'm stuck
2800 XP, Soyo Dragon KT 400, 1 Gig Mushkin, ATI AIW 9800 pro, Nec 2500a DVD Burner, Audigy 2, 2 80 gig Raid 0, 2 80 gig ATA, Logitech Z 680, Sony F500 22" Monitor, 17" Hp 7058 laptop, 512 pc 2700, GeForce2Go 5600, 80 gig HD
maniacjc is offline   Reply With Quote