Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-02, 08:01 AM   #1
pelly

Talking Tweakmonster Shim Contest

We have some Tweakmonster non-conductive shims to give-away to the people with the most horrific and depressing stories regarding chipped or cracked CPU cores...

I'll start things off to get the ball rolling...

A year or so back, I purchased an OEM AMD 1.33GHz processor...Well, I installed the heatsink, went to power the system on....and nothing.......no beeps.....no power....nothing....just a fan blowing on a cooked CPU.....

I took the processor out and saw ( to my horror ) that the outer edge had been chipped!

After a few calls and emails, AMD offered to replace my 1.33GHz with a 950MHz processor with no charge....I figured, something was better than nothing and I accepted the trade...

Since then, I have religiously used a CPU-shim and have never had a problem...I learned my lesson....

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 10:57 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

WAITAMINUTE - I was just reminded of an incident that I had pushed back to the recesses of my brain because I was so ashamed at myself. I had told a story in this thread about my adventure installing an 850 MHz Athlon and not plugging the fan into the correct header.

Well, several months later I was going to upgrade my system to a 1.2 GHz processor. I picked up an OEM one, new fan and some thermal compound as I had run out of Arctic Silver 2. Not ordering more AS2 and using that cheap **** thermal compound proved to be a huge mistake.

I got home with my new CPU and installed it what I thought properly. I power on my machine - nothing. Put my old fan on and power on - nothing. After many minutes of this I took out the 1.2 GHz to see the core had been completely fried. So, I figure I'll put my old 850 in. Power on - I get into the BIOS and the temp of the CPU is about 50 degrees C. That ain't good because prior to this 1.2 GHz CPU, it never ran hotter than about 38 degrees. I mess around with it some more, power on my system and nothing, again.

I had fried my 850 CPU as well. And in the process created two lovely burns in both heatsinks I had at the time. That night I ordered a new 1.2 GHz CPU, Globalwin CAK38 HSF and Arctic Silver 2. I put that in and the computer worked beautifully until I sold it to a friend and the Globalwin HSF fell off the CPU, busting the AGP slot.

So after all was said and done with this, I was out 2 CPU's and 2 heatsinks and a whole lot of money.

I can PM you my name address so you can send me that shim, hehe.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 11:05 AM   #3
pelly

( Wipes a tear from the corner of his eye.... )

Wow....that will be tough to beat....my condolences...
pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 03:00 PM   #4
DreamcastSi

Unhappy My Scary Trip to School

About 3 weeks ago, I left my home town of Yakima, Wa to go to a Tech School in Phoenix. Well, first lemme tell you what i have in my computer:
Athlon XP1900+
Asus A7V8X
Radeon 8500DV
256 MB DDR400
Thermalright SLK800 w/ Vantec Tornado 80

Well, I packed the computer and the monitor up all nice to have it ready for the plane ride 3 days before, so I had to go without my computer for a while. When i was at the Hotel in Phoenix, 4 days later, I heard a rattling noise when i moved the box. I opened the case to the computer and saw my 8 lb heatsink on the bottom of the case. This scared me. I looked immediately at my proc and saw that the core's corners had been rounded off. Whats worse, my brand new motherboard's socket had been broken where the heatsink was held on. My radeon was cracked and my RAM sink was scratched all to hell. The airline said it was out of their hands. Luckily, I bought a retail cpu and it was covered in the warranty. However, the $150 i spent on the Radeon and the $250 I spent on my board, Ram, and Heatsink were gone. I am still computerless, stuck on a Pentium 3 til I can get replacements.
Old 10-08-02, 04:41 PM   #5
Blenderhedd

Default my sob story.

My story begins like this...
Some time ago, I purchased a a 1.0ghz/200 T-Bird, and built a sweet little system around it. This was my first AMD system and it was love at first boot. Having been a veteran of the Celeron O/C'ing scene I immediatley set about pushing it to the limit. I unlocked the L1's and pushed the FSB as high as I could, but still (of course) wasn't satisfied. I started hanging out in overclocking forums and newsgroups and was introduced to all manner of arcane system tweakage. Temperature, I thought, THAT is why I can go faster. The idea of watercooling intrigued me. Such a simple concept. I had access to the machinery and materials necessary, so I decided to build my own waterblock.

After a couple of weekends at work using my spare time, I completed the water block, but realized, I needed a clip of some sort. So I built that too. That is where my troubles began. It seems that my homemade clip was totally inadequate for the job, but like a dumbass, I tried to make it work.

With the first attempt at installation, I managed to round off two of the cores corners. Thankfully the proc seemed to bein normal working order. But did I walk away the wiser?

Realizing that this wasn't going to work, I attempted a redesign of the clip. A week or two later I re-attempted installation. It seemed to go alright, though the clip was still ill-suited to the task it held, and I fired the sytem up. POST went fine, but got a crash loading Windows. Rebooted, checked temps in the BIOS, and was shocked to see that they were 20 deg. F. Higher than with genereic heatsink. Thinking that I had mis-applied the thermal compound, I removed the block and re-applied. One step too far.

On re-installing the block, I managed to not only round the other two corners and break a nice long splinter off one of the long edges of the core, I also broke the lug off the socket. I was screwed.

I spent the next two weeks limping along on my wifes computer (my trusty old Celeron 300a) until I found and orderd a new proc and heatsink with a three-prong clip. The water block still sit there on my workbench, mocking me, it seems. Daring me to try again. But I showed it. I built a new block, a better block, haha, that will use the mounting holes cut in the mobo. A new shim would be the icing on the cake. Please help me to rub Mr. Oldwaterblock's nose in the mess he made.

Hehe.
Old 10-08-02, 05:27 PM   #6
Gibbage

I am a big AMD fan. I work at a computer company and build computers. My boss is a big Intel fan. He does not list AMD options on the company's web site, and goes out of his way to convince our customers to get Intel. After almost a year of convincing my boss to put AMD product on our web page for sale, he finally caved! Yay! Our first order for an AMD came in. A Duron 1.3GHz. My job to build it since I am the only one who has worked with AMD chips. They give me a OEM CPU, and a cheap CPU fan. The CPU fan was EXTREAMLY tight, and when I finally got it on I was happy. I turned on the system and nothing? With my Intel fan boss breathing down my neck, and the customer waiting, I detach the CPU fan to find a black flake about the size of a grane of sant laying in the white thermal paste. I looked at one of the corders of the chip, and sure enough. CRACKED!!! UGH! I had to tell my boss that the chip was dead because of this chip the size of a grane of sand. He starts ranting and raving about how crappy AMD is and just goes OFF!!! Now we hand to RMA (if possible) this CPU and get a new one in the next day. Delaying the ship time for the customer. He swore to remove all AMD products off our web page. Fortunatly he did not! I told him it was because of the tight clip on the heatsink, and the lack of....A SHIM!!! The extra cost of shims was out of the question for him (cheap basterd) but we did get a CPU fan with a looser clip. Not a better fan, just a looser clip. We hardly sell any AMD now since my boss took down most AMD products. Whats the sad story here? An AMD fan being stuck building and testing nothing but Intel computers =( My Athlon XP 1800+ at home sure can use a shim My only shot to convince my boss that AMD is good was blown due to a lack of a good SHIM. That would of prevented me from chipping that Duron no matter how tight the clamp was.

Gibbage
Old 10-08-02, 05:36 PM   #7
Tex Arcana

Unhappy My sob story...

I had gotten my a nice sweet VIA-based ECS mobo, with a 1.3G Tbird. Nice and fast, right? Put a copper orb on it, but with some of the work I was doing on it (taking in and out of my computer hole in my desk), I felt that I was risking the proc with the orb, so I sent off for a nice anodized aluminum shim and AS. I gooped it nice, fit the shim in place, put the sink on, started her up. Fans come up, mobo beeps, then nothing. Nada. Zilch. Then I caught a small whiff of smoke--just a hint. A mere hint. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my gut. I lay the case down, and pop the heatsink, and look at the bottom of it. No goop. Oh, crap. The copper/aluminum interface on the orb has a damned RIDGE, about .5 mm thick, around the copper core!! I didn't even THINK to check for proper contact!!

It took a total of 8 seconds to fry a 1.3 Tbird. I felt SO DAMNED STUPID!!!

THat set me back an additional $125 for a 1.2 Tbird.

I kept the 1.3 as a reminder I can be stupid at a whim.
Old 10-08-02, 05:44 PM   #8
Kill_Phil

About a year ago i purchased a 1.33ghz amd thunderbird proccessor for about $300 canadian, i was all ready to go with my alpha heatsink, silver thermal paste, etc etc. This was my first athlon procesor i ever installed. First go, i cracked it, smelled like burnt silicon. win2k started booting, bsod, crashed, never posted again. actually had burn marks on the heatsink, and ther was a nice dent in the heatsink. so lost a heatsink and a proc on that one. i replaced that processor with a 1.4 athlon about 2 weeks later (another $300 canadian, + 60 for the new alpha heatsink). that went in without a hitch, then about 8 months later after running it at 1.4ghz, i decided i needed to try the pencil trick (because im an overclocker). did this, and put on a different alpha heatsink this time which allowed me to mount a non-thin fan. (7000 rpm delta). Putting it on this time, the computer posted, and then died shortly after.. same burnt silicon smell, same chunk taken out of the heatsink. I replaced it with a 950mhz athlon from a friend ($60 canadian this time) which is humming along happily at 1ghz, but i've lost quite a lot of cash in the past year on cracked cores! gonna be trying the pencil trick again on this processor, and im never using another alpha heatsink that uses the same clip mechanisim on the pal-66, this i think is what really caused the cracked cores.

(on the upside, i now brag about having a 1.4ghz keychain)

Old 10-08-02, 08:17 PM   #9
Tweakmonster

That sucks, Tex Arcana........

I even stuck a blurb up in my install guide pertaining to the orbs with ridges on the bottom.....I still don't understand why they had them in the first place.
Old 10-08-02, 08:34 PM   #10
lord_athlon

I was putting a new heatsink of my trusty old t-bird i got for christmas, and seeing how i was 15, i couldnt just go out and get a new one, i was trying to be extremely careful, i put on my compound, and proceeded to install my vantec 6035, so i could get some more overclocking in. Ande when i powered up, i got a nice set of beeps. My first thought, was oh my god, i fried it. I looked at it, and it seemed fine, so i tried it again, still nothing, so i took it back out, and after minutes of searching, i found a small chip, nothing noticable, but enought to kill a glorious chip. With my stock amd heatsink, and 1.70 volts, it could do 1.6, which was a nice jump from 1.4, and heat was what was stopping me, for the amd heatsink is not meant for extreme cooling. I was co crushed (no pun intended), so i had to choke it up, and go mow some lawn for some cash to replace my t-bird. My current one will do 1.6 at 1.7 also, and i am very lucky that it does, but it is just not as rewarding as when you hit a 200 mhz overclock for the first time, it is like when you get your first car, or go on a first date, i guess it shows how much i love computers.

Alex Morgan
Old 10-08-02, 08:55 PM   #11
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

man these stories are deserving of more than a shim

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 08:58 PM   #12
schiesz

Default 2 durons down the tube

My first duron was a 650 bought off ebay. I had already received all my other components by the time the cpu came, so I was very hyped to get the system working. While I try to figure out how to make the clip on my dragon orb work, I feel the heatsink shift lightly. Lift it up, and the corner of the core is stuck in the thermal paste. Oh well, I figure I just paid the stupid tax and order another cpu (a 700 this time). It works fine for me for several months. This is when I get a new case. I take apart the old system, and get everything in the new case, but I loose this little plastic piece on the CD-ROM tray. Its stuck down in the front of the case, but I can't find it. After living without it for a few days, I decide I am going to SHAKE it out. This was my most brilliant move I turn off the machine, and proceed to shake it around and actually bang the case on its back corner a few times before I hear something rattle around in there. I open the case, retrieve the piece, and close the case back up. Later that day, I go to power up the system and nothing happens. I instantly smell something hot, and flip the switch on the PSU. After opening up the case, I immediately realize that the heatsink has popped completely off the cpu. it is swinging in there by the tabs on one side, but at a 90 degree angle to the motherboard. The power was on for less than 5 seconds, and the cpu was blown. Big corner was chipped off, and the backside of the chip has a big burned spot on it.

At least I was able to get a cheap duron 1200 by this time.

I am very careful with my cpu and case, handling it all like its made of glass...now.

(Update: I am in the process right now of making myself a nice keychain by epoxying the two chips togather)

schiesz