Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-02, 09:02 PM   #13
CrimsonArrow

Unhappy Cpu install FUBAR

Well heres my story. Sorry it came out long...

I had a Abit KT7-Raid, with a little 700 Duron installed. Abit's site said I could update my Bios and install up to a 1.4 gig T-bird(with L1 disconnected). I decided to go ahead and try this out, but first I had to back up everything on my 50gig raid array because the Bios update may(and did) loose raid configuration. I spend 3 days burning cd's off my raid, because I had a ton of downloaded Star Trek episodes I down loaded off of WinMX. After 3 days of burning I was ready. I updated my Bios. Installed the 1.4T-bird and it didn't beep, didn't boot. Nothing would make it boot. I then decided to put the 700Duron back in and find out if I even had a pc left. It booted right up with the 700Duron just fine. I then went into Bios and set the bios for "Above 1200"(this is all the Bios had to offer for a 1.4 setting). I put the new 1.4T-bird back in the system and it booted straight into windows. I thought I had it all figured out. I decided to reboot the pc just to be sure. On the second boot.. Nothing. It wouldn't boot again. I cleared CMOS. Still nothing. I put the 700Duron back in again. Pc boots just fine. So I went into Bios again. Tweaked some bios settings. Shut it down. Put in the 1.4T-Bird. Again, it would boot once and then never again. I put the 700Duron in again. (alotta cpu swapping, but I was getting pissed at this point.. First mistake, working on it pissed.) This time I tweak the Bios multiplier untill it thinks the 1.4T-Bird is a 1.33. I put the 1.4T-Bird in. Again, it boots once and only once. I now put the 700Duron back in for the fourth time or so... ... ..... ... Only... ... ... This time as I'm installing it I feel something kinda grainy under the heatsink. Hoping it was my imagination, I clip the heatsink and power it on... ... ... No boot with my 700Duron... .... *insert some cuss words here* I take the chip out and there is a tiny sliver of silicon laying on the chip. *insert a lot of cuss words here* I'm thinking how am I going to get this thing to boot now that my only reliable chip is fubar? I put the 1.4T-bird back in, I play with some junk still no good. I take the HSF off and stare at it for a bit. I really don't know what to do. I decided I needed to go cool off for a bit(so pissed at myself I can't see straight), so I lay the HSF on the cpu(not clipped) and go outside for a smoke. After gathering my nerves... I come back in and turn on the pc. The computer starts to boot. It beeps, it actually BEEPED! It never even BEEPED when it wouldn't boot before. I'm thinking ROCK ON!.. It's going to boot and give me another chance at this thing. Keep in mind I thought all that in a split second, because just as I thought all that. I heard a CRACK!!!!!!!. I look in the case and I forgot to latch the HSF.... ... .... *insert enough cuss words here to defeat a small country!!* My 1.4T-bird was smoked. My HSF had burn marks. All because I didn't latch the D*** HSF. Stupid...

The next day I ordered an ABIT KR7A-Raid, a 512mb pc2100, an AMD 1700XP, a new case, and........................ A 850Duron for what is now my son's pc........
Old 10-08-02, 10:43 PM   #14
ReTiCuLeX

Well , it was a friday nite and my 1200mhz Tbird fried on me. I quickly called AMD and they said they couldn't RMA my processor because it was OEM. The store said the 30day warranty was up I was for sure out of luck. I had around $100 in matured bond money so I got my dad to cash it for me saturday mornining. Well I had $90 in my wallet which I got from working all week moeing lawns and help sweeping my neighbors leaves. I quickly ran to the store and wanted to purchase a new 1400mhz AMD Thunder bird , the guy said he was out of stock. So here iam at 1pm est thinking , I take a trip to Manhattan in New York City where I live , I took 3 Trains and a cab to pc-beyond. I got myself ahold of a boxed 1.4Ghz cpu for $173 without tax. I quickly run home to try the cpu with my water cooling kit, winds up the cpu didn't boot I said ok np lemme try a hsf. I put the heatsink on and the processor boots up I was happy as heck. I decided now to clean up my water cool kit an get ready to reinstall it to overclock. Anyhow as removing my heatsink Global Win the clip was a pain to get off so I finally got it removed , behold infront of me is my new 1.4Ghz which I broke my but for with the core cracked on the edge a huge crack and lots of lil glassy looking things surrounding it. Shes dead :'( I started to get really emotional as I have no computer to play with now. I ask my dad what to do he said its your problem kiddo he said i dont have enough money for a new one. I burst out in tears. Later on I called AMD they said they would RMA it I told them my HSF was aprooved etc.. etc.. they told me to send it in Fedex so I did overnite. Wound up taking Saturday sunday and monday to get there. I called AMD constantly to find out they had no more 1.4's in stock they asked me what i would like to do I told them I guess ill have to wait. I wound up without a working computer for 3 weeks. :'( I had to visit the libary to browse the web an stuff. I was 14 just turning 15 at the time. This was probally one of the most emmotional moments of my life as my processor and overclocking experiances where bad at this time. Amd did give me a new processor. I wound up repairing my neighbor cory's computer 1month later , as his dad couldn't get it to work. I decided to try my processor the 1.4 in his comp to see if it would boot. I wound up frying that one too.. with the AMD HSF his came with. He only renbursed me $75 for it and 1month later my father let me buy a new 1.33 off pricewatch , well this time I had the store install it then all was well. This is my story of my CPU Core being cracked leaving me without a computer for a really long time as i depend on the computer daily. Thanks hope you enjoyed the story , I didn't enjoy the reality.

John (ReTiCuLeX)
Old 10-08-02, 11:20 PM   #15
eXzodious
MSI Geforce 4 Ti4400

Angry

This happened last year I went to work and a oddly enough a lady brought in a machine that kept crashing for odd reasons I little looking around found a melted Intel Pentium 3 500mhz the whole outer black plastic case around the CPU was melted and warped oddly enough whoever was messing around in there didn't connect the fan header to the mother board. I was surprised it even worked. That day I picked up my girlfriend at work and rushed home because my parts were coming in for my new pc. I waited for 3 weeks every day for UPS to deliver my parts. The package finally came Asus A7A266, Athlon 1.3 GHz with the 266 FSB, Alienware black hydraulic case, Thermaltake Super Orb. I put everything together to find out that it doesnt boot up nothing so I check the CPU its fine and all the connections to the mother board everything is physically correct. Oddly enough the power supply is dead and I just got it no more then 3 hours ago so I test it and I was right its dead. I pop in my old power supply and try to power it up this time I hear the fan but no video and no drives spinning. I take the CPU out and it has a nice edge knocked off of it. After going out side with my girlfriend and beating the **** out of an IBM 286 PS/2 I had in my basement with a baseball bat with 286 pieces all over my yard I called AMD and they replaced the CPU with in a week. Seems that what cracked it was that stupid super orb with the crapy clip (Thanks Thermaltake for changing the clip it after I cracked it....assholes).

eXz...

Last edited by eXzodious; 10-08-02 at 11:30 PM.
eXzodious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 01:46 AM   #16
ice_man0001

This happened a couple years ago when i was still in highschool. I wanted a computer for x-mas but of course i didn't get one. So i set out with my x-mas money to build me one. And just by chance my friend had gotten a KT-7 raid for x-mas but droped his CD-R on it sheering off alot of componets. So i talked him into givin it to me. I then set out to solder on all the stuff that was knocked off. After many trips to radio shack for capictors and such and 3 weeks of burnin myself with the soldering iron it was rdy to test. so i set out to get the rest of the parts I traded and begged till i got everything i needed. Then when i go to put the heat sink on i realized that one side of the socket was messed up. So not being detered i reach for the trusty zip ties. After carefully gettin my monster heat sink i place i fire it up....nothing....i check ram, video card. power. everything. So i cut off the zip ties and to my horror a large chunk of the side has been crushed to nothing but powder...i had to wait 6 months later to get another chip, i am now runin a duron.
Old 10-09-02, 01:56 AM   #17
WizKid

lol you guys crack me up (no pun intended).. I've built approximately around 20-30 AMD systems (I ONLY recommend AMD systems) and I have yet to crack a single core, and no I've NEVER used a shim before. I really dont know how the hell some of you guys manage to crack your chips.. I mean.. maybe i always invest in an expensive HSF.. but I just cannot, for the life of me, figure out how people do it.. help me out here.. lol..
Old 10-09-02, 05:45 AM   #18
Egon

Talking Lucky man!

Hi all there!
I've been reading your stories and I think we can all laught at mine... I have 2 stories about that:

2 years ago, I bought a classic slot Athlon 550 and a FIC motherboard (oh, HOW I DID HATE THIS MOBO!!) and of course, I had to overclock it as I've always done with my rigs... Well, it was a 0.25u piece, and it was REALLY hot (about 50C on idle!) so I decided I had to do something about it before I could overclock. So I took a big HS and attached to it 2 8cm 5000rpm fans (it took me a while and a lot of silicon glue to make it rock solid). Afer that tweaking, I was able to hit 650MHz with the tipical card for slot AMD, with the same 50C, but I was still not happy. So I decided to dismount all the micro package until I had only the pcb wich has the micro and cache chips on it. But then how I would atach de HSF, I wondered... And then the happy idea: I made 4 holes on my HSF just to fit the ones on the micro's pcb, and I screwed it with 4 screws directly on the pcb, with some termal compound on the core. I used a big magnifiying glass in order to see the proper contact of the core, but nothing sure, of course. Then I put the modded monster on the mobo, plug all the connectors, and power the computer on. There was no beep, no POST, no screen at all, but a crackling noise. I turn it off and smell, and luckily there was no smoke there, so I put it again on the mobo, and tried again. The computer then worked fine! I couldn't believe it so I began to test it and I reached 800MHz without reaching 50C! I was really happy then so I left thing as they were...
6 months later I sold the mobo/memory/micro combo and AFAIK it's working ok!! I just can't believe my luck! (and my madness!)

After this athlon story, I decided to go towards Thunderbird, and I purchased a Socket Thunderbird 1000 with the AMD-cerified standard HSF, and it was so damn good that it worked below 36C. Then I unloked it and got a Vulcano HSF (it was really big!!) and I got 1400MHz working about 45C. No problem until now, but I had to go on playing... I borrowed a friend's Taisol, and here begun the party... When I removed the Vulcano, I heared a little *Crack* and I got REALLY afraid... I prayed all I knew while I mounted the Taisol, and my prayers seemed to work 'cause it worked. 3C above my vulcano, but it worked. Then I returned to the vulcano, but when I was removing the Taisol, I heared a much-louder CRACK. I shouted OHMYGODNONOPLEASENO!!! while I looked at my core... It has a corner completly cracked, but it seemed not to affect the whole core, so I keep my faith and tried the vulcano: It worked! And it's working for a month now, without a glich! I feel so damn lucky now that I won't change my HSF until doomsday...

Conclusion: I won't play again with HSF in such a risky way...
Old 10-09-02, 11:12 AM   #19
Quijbe

I am making this submission on behalf of my borther.

He had purchased an MSI motherboard, an ADM 1.2 Ghz Tbird, and a new case for it. HE and I were putting all of the conponents into the computer, but it wouldnt boot at and would beep at us. We kept unpluggin the HDD, and the flppy and CD-rom. reseating the meory and vedeo car.. I mean everything. WE had it on the floor opened up, and had just reseated the memory, CPU, and verified the power switch was plugged ino the motherboard properly. This was after about an hour of toiling with it. This time it booted up to CMOS, and started the memory test, we were like ecstatic , we like high fived eachother, and rocked the table a bit ... His monitor fell right off the corner, the top side fell into the case, striking the heatsink and forcing it to smash the core of the cpu apart, and also broke the socket the CPU sits in, ruining the motherboard as well. Man we were pissed, so mad I tell you, im sure he still gets upset if I bring it up.
Old 10-09-02, 11:31 AM   #20
Clock

Unhappy

Mine is the story of a $500+ HSF. (thanks ThermalTake!!). it all started when i decided to upgrade from a K6-2 450 (running at 500 of course) to a Duron 1300.

i purchased the CPU and motherboard (GigaByte GA-7VRX). the CPU ran me $110, the board $140 at the time. i installed the new hardware and a generic HSF and all was good. but, like any avid computer enthusiast, i had to overclock it. so i delved into unlocking the Duron, and managed to get it to run a 133bus. but the CPU temp had gone up quite a bit, so i ran to my local computer store and purchased the newest best HSF they had. it was a ThermalTake Volcano 7+ ($35). forgot to look for a shim at the store. i installed the new HSF and everything was still ok. but the HSF has a temperature sensor on it, which is nowhere near the CPU, so i disassembled the system again and crammed the temp probe into the depths of the HSF. upon reinstalling the HSF, my screwdriver slipped (a few times). i think the clip had become bent, but i ended up stabbing the MoBo, etc. i pressed the On button. it booted up, but didnt detect any of my drives. Reset. the screen was blank... something was wrong. so i removed the CPU and the HSF. sure enough, my CPU core was chipped badly. so i ran out and purchased a Duron 1200 ($100) and put it in.. still nothing. i tried a friends CPU. nothing. the motherboard was toast too.

so i ran out and bought a ECS K7S6A ($100). i put the Duron 1200 (carefully) in the board with the generic HSF and everything ran fine. later that week, a friend needed my assistance (im a certified techie) with his CPU. his Windows (98 and XP) installation was crashing. after all other ideas had failed, we decided to check his CPU. i removed mine and placed it in his motherboard. Windows installed successfully. we re-installed his CPU and disabled the L2 cache and re-ran the install. it worked, indicating he had damaged or cooked the cache on his CPU (Athlon XP 1700). when it came time to put my CPU back in, i couldnt help but use the ThermalTake HSF again. I CRACKED THE FRICKING CORE!! destroyed the MoBo again!!

so, after waiting till i had money again (a month later), i purchased an Athlon XP 2000 ($100), MSI KT3 Ultra2 ($125), and ThermalTake Volcano 9 ($25). the Volcano 9 has a redesigned clip on it. everything went well, and im never screwing with it again. i promise.

in retrospect, a shim might have saved me a lot of time and money. i had never destroyed a single CPU in my life before this, and certainly never will again. i guess the lesson to be learned is this: upgrading is exciting, but take your time. take the necessary precautions. use the proper tools and hardware. and if anyone should need Duron Keychains, i have a couple now.

Old 10-09-02, 12:03 PM   #21
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Clock
and if anyone should need Duron Keychains, i have a couple now.
What would you want for one of 'em? I never saved any of my fried CPU's and I really want an Athlon or Duron keychain to call my very own.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 12:22 PM   #22
Clock

Default Duron Keychain.

i dont want much. enough cash to cover the shipping. maybe a few bucks just for sympathy. i havent drilled the hole for a keyring, but i can. all the pins are straight (one of the CPU's is still in the toasted MoBo). in fact, it's still got that stupid Volcano 7 on it.

maybe if i'd saved my receipt(s) and had a credit card i could have gotten some of my money back. since that wont happen, i'd be pleased just to see someone enjoy the dead chip. if you're seriously interested, email me at pearlisfat@yahoo.com

also, if there are any Cyrix lovers, i have a cooked 6x86 PR266+ i'd love to give to a good home. though u can prolly get the cyrix for 3 bucks at a PC Supply store.
Old 10-09-02, 12:38 PM   #23
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Check yer e-mail.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 05:03 PM   #24
staffa

The worst experience I ever had with chipping or cracking a CPU core wasn't even caused by myself.

I was getting involved with a woman who was in the process of getting out of the same apartment as her ex boyfriend of 4 years. I set her up with a cheap system with a Duron 1.3ghz I had, using an Antec CPU fan I found at CompUSA. This only had a center copper piece for the CPU die, with no support outside this. I knew it wasn't the safest design, but I managed to get it on with no trouble and it worked fine for a week.

A week later while she was gone, her ex-boyfriend decided he was jelous of her computer, and pulled it apart, swapped his 128meg DIMM for her 256, and tried to steal the CPU too until he figured out it wouldn't fit in his K6-2 motherboard.

Needless to say, we tried to boot it up when I was over there, and all it did was beep. Pulling it apart I realized what had been taken, and went and got the old RAM back. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to boot.

I took it home, and pulled the CPU fan off, and noticed some shiny flakes around the CPU die. Looking closer, I could see chunks taken off the side of the CPU die. It was obvious that someone had removed the CPU fan and re-applied it incorrectly. To boot, it had had one of those lame little plastic things that melts to become the "heat sink compound", and of course if you remove it and re-apply it, you have to put some real compound on it. So even if it had been ok despite the chipping, it would have baked itself in short order, no doubt. You can see the chipping in the attached picture of it.

Her ex refused responsibility, I kept the computer at my place until she moved out, and put my old 1.4ghz Athlon in it and bought a 1700+ for my main machine to replace it. Thank god CPUs are cheap these days! I never used the Antec fan again, prefering something with more support than just the CPU die.

Too bad the woman dumped me two months later...

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked_duronsmall.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	354