Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-04, 08:55 AM   #1
Riptide

Default How do you feel about warez?

Not sure if this should go in the open forum or not...

How do you feel about warez? I have no problem with a person downloading a copy to try it but if they actually put much time into playing it I think they should pay for it. I know several people personally that get cracked copies all the time and play them, typically never purchasing a copy of the game. This irritates the hell out of me because the way I see it, if we don't start paying for our games sooner or later consoles really will completely take over. Why develop for PCs when it's a) smaller market to begin with and b) half the users don't pay for their programs.

I am proud to say I have paid for a copy of every single game I have ever beaten within the last 5 years.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 09:04 AM   #2
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman
Default Re: How do you feel about warez?

I'm with you on trying out an application or a game, but it just makes sense to buy things you like. I like the way Nero is set up, you use it as a demo for a while, but then you must purchase it if you want to keep using it. That's the way IMO, all apps and game demos should be set up.
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 09:55 AM   #3
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

I dont agree with warez especially with more and more games having demos released just before there launch. So enlight of this some are just outright stealing being they have a chance to try before buying the full product. This really sucks to me being that I like to buy my games, hell I even like displaying the boxes like my DVD movies around my workstation.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 09:57 AM   #4
Riptide

Glad to see that many of us here are paying for our programs. I think it's worth it. A lot of hard work went into making these things and it should be rewarded if they did a good job. That's only fair isn't it?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 10:01 AM   #5
silence

hmmm.... i am risking to get famed pretty badly here, but you asked for honest answer.

around here most ppl just burn games and play them.... you buy original games only if you really have to (online playing) or if you are member of really small portion of people that can afford it.

i know how this sounds, but when you earn 2000 kn (our local currency) per month and original game costs 300-400 kn, you don't think much. govermant is also pretty easy on issue of copyright, specially in individual cases cause they very well understand that with sh|tty salaries like those and costs as high as in western europe you don't have cash to buy originals.
this also goes for other software..... in all my work with computers i haven't seen a legal copy of Photoshop or Corel on PC home PC. some machines come with Win, so some acctually have licenced Win.
prolly only legit software is one bundled with HW.

and before i get flames i just wanna say that most people also say that they would love to be able to afford legal copies....

i personally have win98, Macromedia Studio, Corel and some games, but that's cause i was able to afford them at that point in time.... currently my only chance to play new game is getting CD from some friend
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 10:02 AM   #6
silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Glad to see that many of us here are paying for our programs. I think it's worth it. A lot of hard work went into making these things and it should be rewarded if they did a good job. That's only fair isn't it?
i agree...
that's why i did buy as much as i could
Old 03-25-04, 10:16 AM   #7
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

What can I say, I pirate a lot of things.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 10:50 AM   #8
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

I dont think your like most others though Silence atleast here in the US, I to would probaly burn games If I was in a situation like that and why are games so high compared to ones wages? But here in the U.S.A games are pretty cheap for there entertainment value especially pc games which often retail for 39.99 or less. Most are not rich but alot do have enough to afford buy these games if they can afford a decent pc.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-04, 12:02 PM   #9
silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
I dont think your like most others though Silence atleast here in the US, I to would probaly burn games If I was in a situation like that and why are games so high compared to ones wages? But here in the U.S.A games are pretty cheap for there entertainment value especially pc games which often retail for 39.99 or less. Most are not rich but alot do have enough to afford buy these games if they can afford a decent pc.

well... things are getting better and i hope we will be buying more games.
ppl that sell pirated games are mostly students that make their way thru colladge that way..... you can acctually buy newspaper with yellow pages full of adds from those guys ... as i said, govermant pretends to be blind cause of overall situation.

what i don't like is for example ppl like owners of small company where i recently worked, that do have cash, but don't have even WinXP licenced.... when my small business was working (trying to get it up once again,i am fed up with some1 else being boss ) i bought as much as i could....

business's should have legal software.... if you make cash on someone else's work, you should pay him for making it possible....
Old 03-25-04, 12:19 PM   #10
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

tbh some demo's don't do a game justice...

tron 2.0 was NOT something I wanted to buy after playing the demo/s.. but I did (exchanging the pathetic JK:JA for it... love EB ) and I LOVED it...

try before you buy is not such a bad idea... specially with so many snazzy packages and subsequent crappy games....
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 12:40 PM   #11
Athena
spirit filled

Strange thing to me is when I am poor and can not buy a new game I guess I do not get to play it.
Or I just get the demo and play the heck out of that.
I have never felt that just because I do not make a much money as my other friends that have more game I some how desirve to get games for free and tellings other stealiing is OK for me cause I am poor.

But believe you me I was not always this way. When I forst got into PCs in Junior High I was cracking games left and right. Then I watched to many of the game development companies I love go out of business because even though their game was good and popular all the "fans" had stolen the game and had not paid for it.
Old 03-25-04, 12:52 PM   #12
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Unfortunatly, I'm a bit poor and do resort to pirating more than I want to. But I still buy as much as I can, but for PC games usually I only buy them when I get them for cheap. I played the "warez" version of WC3 for a while (obviously, not online), because I knew I didn't have enough money to buy it when it was released. Now, I'm the happy owner of both WC3 AND the expansion (but it took a sale for me to pick up the battlechest). I think if I couldn't warez games, I wouldn't really buy more games, I just wouldn't be able to play as many games. Hopefully I'll get another job soon and then I'll be back to buying games closer to their release date, rather than wait around for a year while it drops to $20 or so. Though I must admit, most of the games I actually buy now are Xbox games, mainly because you can get them for so freaking cheap if you try. In fact, almost my entire collection of games is made up of uber-budget titles for the PC ($5 or less), and $10 console games. Though now that I think about it, I still haven't played many of them...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote