Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-04, 05:47 AM   #1
rhardy

Default OK, I give up; SuSE8.2, everything loads, no accel.

I get about 75 fps from gears with the 5336 driver. This is the first time I've tried the new *.run format, but a long time back I could get ~800fps with the rpm's.

I have a 440BX dual PII with a Diamond Viper 770 that I've had for about four years.

I've been fiddling for a couple of days, now, screwed up lots of links, and fixed it by reinstalling, I think. I've spent a lot of time on appendix C of the nvidia-README, but don't understand ldconfig all that well. I thought other GLX packages might interfere and looked to unstalling them. It looks like mesasoft is required, right? For glu and glut if nothing else? I have about 200 packages that say they depend on it. How about XFree86-GLX? I did uninstall that; couldn't get accel either way.

One thing the readme says is that xdpyinfo should show GLX, NV-GLX, and NVIDIA-GLX; well, I only have the first two.

Help, please! Why can't I get any 3D accel.? Thanks in advance.

tom@jeeves:~/Documents/linux> cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: 02.05.01.00.00
Card Type: AGP
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/tom
Attached Files
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.txt (26 Bytes, 107 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-installer.log.txt (33 Bytes, 111 views)
File Type: txt SaX.log.txt (20 Bytes, 110 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (23 Bytes, 86 views)
File Type: txt xdpyinfo.txt (3.9 KB, 92 views)
rhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-04, 06:53 AM   #2
rhardy

Default Re: OK, I give up; SuSE8.2, everything loads, no accel.

Trying again with the attachments (That uploader is picky.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.txt (26.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: txt nvidia.installer.log.txt (1.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (4.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: txt SaX.log.txt (84.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: txt glxinfo.txt (2.7 KB, 119 views)
rhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-04, 11:49 AM   #3
LaNcom

Do you have _steady_ 75fps?
And, is your monitor set to 75Hz?

Try:
__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK="0" glxgears

If that gives you more than 75fps, all is well. You should always leave vsync enabled, BTW, otherwise you'll get nasty tearing effects...

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-04, 04:01 PM   #4
rhardy

I can slow it down just by moving the gears window, wiggling the mouse, or otherwise busying X or my system.

OK, how do you set environment variables for nvidia? It can't be in any old console, can it? I.e., it has to be rooted for the nvidia drivers and maybe kdm?

I'll try it this evening if I can. I'm also going to look at ldconfig, extending its path, and verifying links once agan, possibly reinstalling, or going to an earlier driver.

What I described was my current setup. It doesn't show an nvidia logo at startup, though it could possibly pass by before the monitor has time to switch modes when doing init 5 (it takes a couple seconds). I've tried all kinds of setups and have seen the logo, but it's hard to say now what the conditions were. I've seen 100fps, but I think that was mesasoft
Old 03-26-04, 05:29 PM   #5
andyrock

1. check glxinfo, and see this entries:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.4.1 NVIDIA 53.36

If you have this, it's ok.

[EDITED] Ups... I just saw your logs [/EDITED]

2. What about games? Do they perform good? If your "problem" is vsync being enabled, then you should have good performance with games anyway. In this case, i would ignore the glxgears bad results.

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-04, 07:39 PM   #6
Turin

Had the same prob with the tnt2 card! you must save yourself the fustration and go back to the old driver .. trustme
suse 8.2, tnt2, did everything the same as you. Im still using that old driver and it runs very fast (for the tnt2) .
lost 3 days to reading and tinkering, "Your not alone rhardy"
Turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-04, 09:33 PM   #7
rhardy

Um, guess what :sheepish look:, it works. FlightGear runs about 20fps with one cpu maxed, and all the GL screensavers seem to perform well. Gears does peg at my refresh rate, but that must be for the reason LaNcom suggested. I'd still like to try that out. The Nvidia logo doesn't appear if I just do init 5--I guess it just doesn't have time--but it appears when I boot into kdm.

I must have gotten it working not long before I gave up yesterday--I just didn't recognize the fact due to the vsync issue (still to be tested). The old driver didn't work that way.

I think the key is to see nobody messes with the scripts, e.g., "switch2nv", after nvidia has all the links set up. That could be sax or SuSEconfig after running yast, but setting SCRIPT3D="no" in /etc/sysconfig/3ddiag seems to take care of it.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 03-27-04, 10:56 PM   #8
rhardy

Default Recap and Q, Re: OK, I give up; SuSE8.2, everything loads, no accel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaNcom
Do you have _steady_ 75fps?
And, is your monitor set to 75Hz?

Try:
__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK="0" glxgears
Oh, so simple! I finally figured out what you said above, after I figured out how to export the variable to the whole X server...

Yes, it goes to ~275fps. Maximize, and it's down to ~120. Start covering it up, and the framerate starts going up again.

So, yes, it's working. But I still have a few comments. Below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaNcom
If that gives you more than 75fps, all is well. You should always leave vsync enabled, BTW, otherwise you'll get nasty tearing effects...
OK, I searched vblank on this forum, and I see there are issues with it. In my case, the issue is that it fooled me. That is, I saw 75fps, and I saw gears maxing out one CPU, and I concluded something was very wrong. In consequence, I installed the nvidia drivers something like three times, and screwed it up twice, before I was convinced it was installed.

And it definitely could use improvement. With improvement, I could run multiple gears and other GL apps without them interfering with each other nearly so much.

That's one issue. Another is, 275fps?!? That's a far cry from the 800fps I remember, so what has changed? I'd previously used the 0.9x drivers, and very early 1.0. I imagine there are have been new features added, and probably new validations and such. Could such new features account for all the difference?

Another possibility is the kernel. I was using a 2.2 kernel with 128M SDRAM; now I am using late 2.4-64GB with a gig of ECC ram and a four gig swap file. Could that do it? Should I get rid of some swap and use a different kernel? I don't really need all that memory, it just kind of worked out that way.

Remaining questions: The readme states that GLX, NV-GLX, and NVIDIA-GLX should all be loaded, yet only the first two are. Is the readme simply out of date? I see the question has been asked before on this forum, but I haven't seen an answer.

Another is the side band addressing. I've seen I could take steps to enable it; I think I can guess about the possible downside; what is the possible upside?

Thanks.

Old 03-28-04, 10:11 PM   #9
sotongbiz

what does /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status give you?

installing nvidia drivers successfully does not mean you get AGP speeds automagically.
sotongbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 10:32 PM   #10
LaNcom

@rhardy

First of all, do as sotongbiz told you - could very well be an AGP issue...
Second, it is possible to force on SBA and AGP FW, performance should be better with those things enabled, but forcing it on if it´s unsupportet could lead to crashes...
I don´t think the improvements are that great, but I don´t really know - my card and mainboard support both, so it´s turned on for me, anyway...

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-04, 06:00 PM   #11
rhardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotongbiz
what does /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status give you?

installing nvidia drivers successfully does not mean you get AGP speeds automagically.
Code:
jeeves:/home/tom # cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        2x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Disabled
Which seems fine, especially since:

Code:
jeeves:/home/tom # cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
Fast Writes:     Not Supported
SBA:             Supported
AGP Rates:       2x 1x
Registers:       0x1f000203:0x1f000102
Basically, I think the driver is working, just not quite the way I remember it. So I've been poking it a bit and trying to explain what's different.

On the way I've seen what looks like a discrepancy in the documentation (about loading NVIDIA-GLX--it doesn't load, but it works, I think), and I've tried to explain how the vblank behavior fooled me. I thought the Nvidia people might appreciate the feedback.

synopsis of the vblank issue--it synchronizes GL updates with the refresh rate, which eliminates tearing in your rendered images. It could also idle the rendering application so that, for example, gears running at 75fps could be using only 10% or so of your CPU. Unfortunately, it doesn't do that. It does busy waiting to find the right time to render, so your CPU is pegged whether it's rendering at 75fps or 750. And since gears was pegging the CPU, I was convinced nvidia wasn't working.

I'm sure the Nvidia people would appreciate hearing what an impression they made, and for such silly reasons.

Really, it would be nice if they could improve the situation. Perhaps the 2.6 kernel will make things easier. Or perhaps they could offer a new option to __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK so it's "yes", "no", or "maybe", where "maybe" would limit the framerate, and thus the CPU load, and it would try to sync, but wouldn't necessarily guarantee it.

It sounds a bit similar to having some sort of rate-throttling option. Hm....