Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-04, 03:29 AM   #16
whig
550Ti

Default Re: 32bit drivers on Asus K8V

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadfour
I havn't tested the RAM as yet but I would doubt the need to otherwise the 64bit drivers would fail, and I would get other crashes. The RAM itself is registered DDR400 by Kingmax?
I've got Kingmax, but mine isn't registered. I thought registered was only for FX / Opteron?
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 03:43 AM   #17
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
I've got Kingmax, but mine isn't registered. I thought registered was only for FX / Opteron?
Yes that is correct. DO NOT USE registered ram on socket 754 boards.
Do run memtest86 first before installing regardless of how "good" or expensive you ram supposedly is.
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 04:45 AM   #18
whig
550Ti

One more tip for you, and I've been duped by this: if you do a big change recompiling the kernel you really should do a make mrproper. Such a change could be going from building 2.4.25 within a 32 bit system to using the same source tree to compile an AMD64 64 bit kernel. There seem to be dangley bits that make clean does not get rid of. I suspect this is the case for SMP and RAM changes too.

So, save your kernel .config to $HOME, make mrproper (this will delete the .config and other stuff), copy the .config back, make oldconfig and so on.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 05:17 AM   #19
quadfour

I will do that memtest86 test now. Still, the memory is the stuff recommended by Asus. Will report how it goes...

For Whig: The different kernels were on different distros. I didn't bother compiling any except for gentoo's but that didn' t require a mrproper as it was the first kernel
quadfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 05:52 AM   #20
quadfour

That memtest86 test (standard) came back 100%, no errors. Bit of a waste of a CD too

Something I did find out earlier is the point at which my machine hard locks on installation, the point where it modprobes the module, I commented that little line and the install went through no problems. Still doesn't help though. A strace modprobe nvidia gets to the part where the kernel mentions its been tainted, then just nothing, it stops dead still

I have ruled out everything except for the CPU (that _cant_ be the cause) and the nvidia drivers. Everything else has been shuffled around in a logical way to test all combinations. Im stupmed, not something that happens often.

Old 04-09-04, 07:30 AM   #21
quadfour

I feel bad about ranting and raving earlier, normally I'm quite cool & collected. I just _really_ want this problem solved. To try and get a solution I'm going to put up an offer of $100AUD to the chosen charity of the person that cracks the nut so to speak and points out how to get 32 bit NVidia drivers working on a 32bit kernel with this Asus K8V, AMD64 3000+ & Geforce 4200Ti card. I don't even know if this is possible to solve, it may be some kind of problem in the actual NVidia driver?

So who can solve this puzzle (or help me solve) and wants to give my $100AUD to their favorite charilty?
Old 04-09-04, 08:21 PM   #22
griever

i'm having the same problem with the same mainboard and a 5900xt. i've tried a 2.6.4 and 2.6.3 kernel and the 5336 driver. no luck yet. i'm curious as to what you varied in your kernel configs. if anything, just so i don't duplicate the effort.

thanks
griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 09:16 PM   #23
quadfour

I've used 2.6.3 under Gentoo (gentoo-source, vanilla-source and a couple of others) The configs that I did were pretty standard, I did try them with/without things like ACPI/APM and tried compiling the AGP stuff as modules, and disabling framebuffer too. I've also used the stock 2.6.5 kernel with fedora, again no luck.

I've also used a load of kernel options such as acpi=(force/off/ht) mem=nopentium pci=noacpi etc... whatever I've seen I've tried.
Old 04-10-04, 04:00 AM   #24
quadfour

After going through the NVidia code I found the function called from the NVidia libraries/binaries that causes the crash, the 'rm_init_rm' function. If I comment this out the driver compiles and loads, but doesn't work It kinda needs it but I've narrowed it down!

Going to email NVidia again with what I've found and hopefully get somewhere with it. Guess nobody but NVidia could solve this problem now. I will still update this thread with transcript of my quest so other affected people can benefit.
Old 04-15-04, 05:01 AM   #25
quadfour

*bump*

Still no reply from NVidia, have emailed them again.
Old 04-17-04, 07:27 AM   #26
tretboot

Hi,
I am experiencing the exact same behaviour on my machine (Asus K8V SE Deluxe, AMD64 3200+, Kingston 2x512MB, MSI 5700. Fedora Core 1 64-bit works, but FC1 for 32-bit and SuSE 9.0 fail at the same stage (modprobe nvidia) with stock kernels and 2.6.5 vanilla. The really interesting thing is, that a friend of mine has the same hardware and it works. Interestingly memtest86 shows mrginally different memory bandwidth values on his machine.
tretboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-04, 03:53 PM   #27
quadfour

Hi tretboot. Does your friend have the same type of memory, kernel and same BIOS version? I have Kingmax memory in my machine but I have tried Kingston too, same problem with both brands.

This has been wrecking my brain. NVidia tell me they have tested the 32 bit drivers on the hardware I have, and even when I changed the mainboard, video etc it was still awry.

The only bit of hardware I havn't replaced is the CPU. I still wonder if somehow this may be the cause? Heres info on my CPU. Could you please compare with yourself and your friend, see if there are any differences other than the cache size.

[quadfour@natalie quadfour]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 12
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 2002.606
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 3997.69

If its not too much of a hassel could I ask you to reply with what you have tried to get this working?

Thanks
MIchael

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretboot
Hi,
I am experiencing the exact same behaviour on my machine (Asus K8V SE Deluxe, AMD64 3200+, Kingston 2x512MB, MSI 5700. Fedora Core 1 64-bit works, but FC1 for 32-bit and SuSE 9.0 fail at the same stage (modprobe nvidia) with stock kernels and 2.6.5 vanilla. The really interesting thing is, that a friend of mine has the same hardware and it works. Interestingly memtest86 shows mrginally different memory bandwidth values on his machine.
Old 04-18-04, 03:08 AM   #28
pzgren

hello,

are you using ACPI or the magic APIC? You can try to strace the install procedure (--extract-only the pkg).

Ive edited the Makefile.kbuild and deleted there the

kernel_module_install:
install:

from the whole install part. Then I can first install only the GLX drivers. And then manual cd /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5341-pkg1/usr/src/nv

strace make install >& nv.log

If your RAM is the flaky part you must see something like a signal11 or a nice segfault in the strace output, in many cases...

The /var/log/messages says also nothing after a reboot?

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-04, 03:42 AM   #29
quadfour

All I get in /var/log/messages is that warning about tainting the kernel, then just hard lock. I did try doing a strace in thebeginning but it didn't show anything helpfull because its not stracing the loading of the actual module AFAIK. I can do a strace modprobe nvidia, didn't do that before. Will post if there is anything interesting in it.

Still, I know the memory isn't flaky, memtest86 showed perfect results.
Old 04-18-04, 03:44 AM   #30
quadfour

BTW, the $100 for a charity of the problem solver's preference is still on offer