Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-04, 01:25 PM   #121
volkskrant

Default Re: Far Cry shows how pitiful GeForceFX is in DX9 games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
Hey Vamp...I dun like your choice of sock colors today. I think I shall now get totally bent.
You discriminating Vamp. Why do you pick on people wearing orange socks?
volkskrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-04, 02:07 PM   #122
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower
Hey Vamp...I dun like your choice of sock colors today. I think I shall now get totally bent.
You're just jelous because my choice of socks allows me to get more frags.
Old 03-31-04, 02:10 PM   #123
volkskrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
You're just jelous because my choice of socks allows me to get more frags.
Orange socks give more frags? Please teach me your secret
Old 03-31-04, 02:10 PM   #124
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Nevah!
Old 03-31-04, 02:12 PM   #125
volkskrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Nevah!
Sh** I have to throw out my collection of orange socks with the thrash..
Old 03-31-04, 02:15 PM   #126
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
But a higher resolution makes things smaller...
um.. no it doesn't. Things use more pixels, so they're the same size, but more detailed.

A fullscreen poly at 1024x768 is still the same size as a fullscreen poly at 1600x1200. The latter just has more pixels to make it up, and therefore has more detail.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-04, 04:53 PM   #127
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Hey guys, I have been loving this game, but not really loving the performance.

I run the game at 1024x768x32 with everything on Very High except Water which is on Ultra high. I set AA to LOW and AF to 2. Sound is set to 5.1 with Doppler and EAX 2.0 enabled. NV driver is set to "performance".

On the first checkpoint on the "Research" level, my framerate starts out at 40fps, and drops frequently to 20-25 at some points. All is fine really until about midway through the game, when the framerate really drops quite a bit, and frequently. Still playable, though, just dissapointing. I'd really like to know what a 9800 Pro/XT gets at the same settings on the same checkpoint. I'd just like to compare.

You can see what kind of system I am running, and I have had no problems in the 8 months since I built it. I did drop the system back to 3GHZ yesterday because I was having the dreaded DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error with Farcry (turns out it was HT causing the problem). My framerate on Research then dropped to 35fps, FYI.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-04, 04:59 PM   #128
CaiNaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
um.. no it doesn't. Things use more pixels, so they're the same size, but more detailed.

A fullscreen poly at 1024x768 is still the same size as a fullscreen poly at 1600x1200. The latter just has more pixels to make it up, and therefore has more detail.
huh? umm.. yea it does..

when resolution increases, the pixels in an image are squeezed into a smaller area, increasing the perceived sharpness (given the same viewing distance).

images on high-res screens look sharper only because the available pixels are grouped into a smaller area—not because there are more pixels.
CaiNaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-04, 05:01 PM   #129
CaiNaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachMojo
Hey guys, I have been loving this game, but not really loving the performance.

I run the game at 1024x768x32 with everything on Very High except Water which is on Ultra high. I set AA to LOW and AF to 2. Sound is set to 5.1 with Doppler and EAX 2.0 enabled. NV driver is set to "performance".

On the first checkpoint on the "Research" level, my framerate starts out at 40fps, and drops frequently to 20-25 at some points. All is fine really until about midway through the game, when the framerate really drops quite a bit, and frequently. Still playable, though, just dissapointing. I'd really like to know what a 9800 Pro/XT gets at the same settings on the same checkpoint. I'd just like to compare.

You can see what kind of system I am running, and I have had no problems in the 8 months since I built it. I did drop the system back to 3GHZ yesterday because I was having the dreaded DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error with Farcry (turns out it was HT causing the problem). My framerate on Research then dropped to 35fps, FYI.
toss up a screenshot of the area you are talking about (midway thru the game). i'll try to give you a comparison.
Old 03-31-04, 05:53 PM   #130
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaiNaM
huh? umm.. yea it does..

when resolution increases, the pixels in an image are squeezed into a smaller area, increasing the perceived sharpness (given the same viewing distance).

images on high-res screens look sharper only because the available pixels are grouped into a smaller area—not because there are more pixels.
Your right... but only on the 2d desktop. but in full screen games higher res makes things sharper not smaller, I have a 17" that does 1600x1200 and should know.

EDIT: yes there are more pixels, 1600 pixels by 1200 pixels vs. 1024 pixels by 768 pixels. Damn, thats alot of pixels.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-04, 06:38 PM   #131
CaiNaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
Your right... but only on the 2d desktop. but in full screen games higher res makes things sharper not smaller, I have a 17" that does 1600x1200 and should know.

EDIT: yes there are more pixels, 1600 pixels by 1200 pixels vs. 1024 pixels by 768 pixels. Damn, thats alot of pixels.
umm.. first, everything displayed on a screen is 2d, and the size of your monitor has nothing to do with it :P

regardless of the size of your monitor or its max screen resolution, actual resolution still affects the size that images displayed on your monitor. because the information that makes up an image is fixed (has a fixed DPI), the resolution of the screen will dictate the size of the image on your monitor.

for example, an image that is 300 pixels across will appear larger at 100% image size on a 800 x 600 screen than when viewed at 1024 x 768 simply because the 1024 x 768 monitor has more dots per inch than the 800 x 600 screen - it doesn't need as much space to show the same image.

think of it this way - set your monitor to display everything at 640x480. all of the sudden you have to scroll your way across your favorite website horizontally and vertically. why? the images are larger. increase the resolution to 1600x1200, and now you don't have to scroll side to side, because now it all fits on one screen.

again, 2d desktop or 3d game, it's all the same - since everything displayed on your monitor is "2d".
Old 03-31-04, 06:43 PM   #132
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaiNaM
toss up a screenshot of the area you are talking about (midway thru the game). i'll try to give you a comparison.
I'm trying but it won't let me load it. Grr. "page cannot be displayed"
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote