Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-02, 05:15 PM   #1
dinkel

Post official statement on future OS support?

I'm wondering if there is an official statment from nvidia what operation system they will support in the future?

personally I'm running an OpenBSD server for quite some time and loving the ease of use and stability.

because of the lack of a nvidia driver for BSD-systems (what about Darwin btw?) I did not change my desktop OS from XP (games) and Linux to BSD :-(

dinkel
Old 10-10-02, 09:19 PM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

As far as BSD is concerned, you'll be better off running to the mod community...
I can't speak for them, but I'm pretty sure they are not going to give that OS any support...
Old 10-11-02, 05:29 AM   #3
dinkel

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
As far as BSD is concerned, you'll be better off running to the mod community...
mod community?
Old 10-11-02, 09:33 AM   #4
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

the "aftermarket"
Old 10-12-02, 04:35 PM   #5
jon787
Huskies do it doggy style

Send a message via AIM to jon787

I really want a driver for FreeBSD
jon787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-02, 02:31 PM   #6
sebazve

just go to the linux drivers section and download the sources and compile your own drivers. I mean FreeBSD use the linux kernel no???...

just get the tar ones since i think freeBSD doesnt support RPMs
Old 10-15-02, 02:56 PM   #7
volt

get on irc.freenode.net
you will get help there, i'm pretty sure
(openprojects)
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-02, 07:07 PM   #8
dinkel

Quote:
Originally posted by sebazve
just go to the linux drivers section and download the sources and compile your own drivers. I mean FreeBSD use the linux kernel no???...

just get the tar ones since i think freeBSD doesnt support RPMs
I just wanted to say that this could not work for 2 reasons, because BSD-kernels are not linux-like kernels and also the tarballs do not contain source-code, but binary stuff.

now I realized that my comment would be wrong, because in the kernel module of the driver there is a little source code, that can (even has to be) compiled to install it in the kernel.

I definitely have to have a look at this source and try to find out what it does...