Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-04, 11:15 PM   #1
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork
Unhappy FarCry gone... Halo?!?!?

Sooo.... you've all played the FC demo and what-not... pretty cool, don't you think?

Yeah... and... NO.

I mean, great game, precious graphics, immense levels, nice storyline, sexy girl, lots and lots of bullets, vehicles... etc. etc. etc. What's not too love?
I'll tell you what... the ****ing uber-soldier/genetically-altered-monkey!

It was all going so well until they had to go all Halo on us and break out the monsters. Remember "the Flood"... well there you have it. I wish I had the pictures to make the comparisons... but I'm to lazy. You have your standard issue non-weapon slashing guy, and then you have you weapon-carrying bigger...err... things. In both games a direct hit from the slashing dudes leaves you barely alive.

Oh... and instead of doing the smart thing and joining forces (all that "your enemy is my enemy" crap) you have to fight your original enemies too. Tards.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the game. I'm just a bit pissed off from having to fire 3 shotgun shells at pointblank in order to take down a freaking monkey... moreover a giant missile-launching monster. (There you have another similarity, shotgun is the most effective weapon against creatures in both games).

I know the ubersoldier things are necessary for there to be a storyline (no need for mercenaries if you're creating genetically altered sunflowers)... but they should have delayed the use of them right down to the very last levels.

IMO it would be better if throughout the game you fight to find out what the hell is going on in the island and THEN you discover the truth, etc, etc, etc, fight the uberthings... die trying/survive/happily-ever-after, I don't care much about the ending (which BTW I pressume will be something about the creatures surviving).

On another note:
Jack and Doyle are two pretty stupid arseholes. What kind of a jackass thinks about FREEING the increadibly strong/lethal/armed creatures in order to create a diversion. Yeah, real smart guys... not only will they kill the mercs, but YOU TOO.
BTW, if you can take on a couple hundred mercs AND genetically altered creatures, you can easily take the mercs. Duh.

And ANOTHER note:
I'm pretty bummed at the fact that this game is such a machine killer. By this I mean that I'm barely able to play it. I have all my settings at medium and manage to have one or two slow parts. And I have one of the "better" computers amongs the people I know. Oh well... gotta keep on saving.

Ahhh.... there, I feel much better. Now I can go back to the game.
*Hides behind riot shield just in case*

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-04, 11:47 PM   #2
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: FarCry gone... Halo?!?!?

Ahh yes, from the trailers it did look like they were going the "random science experiment gone wrong" route when dealing with enemies later in the game. Which is a shame, because when I first saw previews and videos for it the game looked more of a military-esq realistic shooter, but then later on it's like they decided to tack on a few genetically altered beasts as well. I think the only first person game that mixed the soldiers with the "genetically altered" enemies fairly well was Breakdown, and that's probably because the genetically altered enemies were more than just soldiers with more hitpoints and bigger weapons.

Oh well, I guess avoiding cliches wasn't high on their list of priorities. You know what I'd REALLY like to see in a FPS game though that would be different? A battle like the one with Rex in Metal Gear Solid. I mean it's like game developers are afraid to make you face a 50-foot tall mech, but are more than willing to throw hundreds and hundreds of generic human-sized creatures at you.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 12:48 AM   #3
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: FarCry gone... Halo?!?!?

Actually i don't see a problem at all game is SciFi not to Halo extend but cool, mutated rocket humans as doctor warned are heavily armored i only needed 1 clip of G36k to kill him if you aim very well in the head sometimes two cips if some bullets go past , also you should put to use very usefull items like Flash Grenades its peace of cake to take enemys when they are blind or smoke , offcourse in the begining i didn't play smart and got blown away need to employ SWAT tactics , monkeys are no problem to few shotgun shots and they are toast , shotgun does have less of accuracy two monkey types one is smaller weak one and big one

To kill a human only 1 bullet needed in the head

As for story line mercs doesn't seem to have mutch of a problem with mutants so they will hunt you also In many 3 way battles i stay out of battle and mercs usually win biger battles unleass its preset to loose.

Oh yeah and game is next gen , need uber cpu and fast dx9 card for it shine
Old 04-06-04, 01:46 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

But the key difference between Far Cry and Halo is that Far Cry is actually fun to play. Sure, there are plenty of hard spots in both games but I'm enjoying FC far more than I did Halo. That's probably because my expectations for FC weren't nearly as high.

And as for the whole system requirement thing, Tuork, I never want to hear you complain about games not pushing the graphical envelope.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 02:01 AM   #5
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Yup... you also need to sell your kidneys in the black market in order to buy it... well, at least me (student living where Comp. stuff isn't cheap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat
And as for the whole system requirement thing, Tuork, I never want to hear you complain about games not pushing the graphical envelope.
Hey... you don't hear me saying "all this cash spent away for a crappy game"... au contraire! I say "ah crap! all the cash I need to spend in order to play uber games"

BTW... be prepared, I'm planning on upgrading quite a lot of stuff, hence, I have a tonne-o-questions about.... well... everything.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 06:12 AM   #6
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Actually now that I think about it, why in the hell is it that EVERY FPS seems to be based around some wierd science experiment gone wrong? I mean look at these storylines:

Doom/Quake: scientists open doorway to aliens, who of course are hostile and kill the people that opened the door and you must escape
Half-life: Ditto
Unreal 2: travel to far and exotic places unlocking a weapon which genetically alters a race (and that race are already aliens)
Halo: Humans FIGHTING aliens, who unlock GENETICALLY ALTERED creatures
Farcry: same as above minus the alien part
Battlefield 1942/Call of Duty/Medal of Honor: fighting Nazis
RTCW: fighting Nazis, who are into GENETIC MANIPULATION! Also some random undead and occult stuff thrown in for good measure.

Now you'd think, JUST ONCE, the bad guys would actually be working on making new WEAPONS, rather than genetic manipulation, or opening doorways for aliens, or creating zombie nazi robots. I mean, does humanity give up on making tanks, guns, and nukes in the future in favor of messing with creatures cells? Oh well, guess that's the order of the universe...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 08:57 AM   #7
Riptide

It's funny you started this thread because Halo is what popped into my head as soon as I ran into the monsters in this game. Definite similarities there. Didn't bother me much though, there are a few differences and the game has so many other strong points it's still phreakin awesome.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 08:58 AM   #8
Saint Lucifer
Not watching Manning poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Actually now that I think about it, why in the hell is it that EVERY FPS seems to be based around some wierd science experiment gone wrong? I mean look at these storylines:
With your avatar, I'm surprised you left out Deus Ex.

Old 04-06-04, 09:01 AM   #9
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Is it just me or did the whole monsters in the bathroom thing remind you of the Doom 3 trailers?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 09:16 AM   #10
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

im still on the training level.. seriously they need to invent 4 hours a day for me o play games or smth..
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 09:33 AM   #11
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-

why not run far cry in OpenGL mode?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 12:33 PM   #12
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb Re: FarCry gone... Halo?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
why not run far cry in OpenGL mode?
Doesn't have all the effects in OpenGl mode.