Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-04, 07:10 AM   #1
ronathome

Default Quadro4 700XGL twinview problem - hardware issue?

Hi folks,

I'd be grateful if anyone can help me here. I'm trying to get twinview working on a Dell 530 workstation with a Quadro4 700XGL card installed, and I appear to have no signal from the VGA adapter - and apparently no errors reported in the XFree86.0.log file.

What I'd be grateful to find out is whether I have (a) hit a driver bug; (b) have faulty hardware; or (c)-the preferred option)- stuffed up my config file ;^)

Here's what I've tried so far: I have two CRT monitors, onbe of which is better than the other (both are Sony Trinitrons). I've set the horizontal sync and vertical refresh to be the same on both - and chosen the lesser of the two monitors for the settings. I have a VGA adapter on the digital out (DRI?) - this is the one that works. I've got stereo switched on and am trying to get twinview to work in clone mode.

If I have twinview set as per normal, I get half a screen - i.e. the twinview is set up correctly but the VGA out is producing no signal, so I see one half of my desktop.

I've got the modelines set the same now (eliminating that warning message about stereo in twinview not being supported unless the modelines are identical) and I have twinview mode set to clone.

There are no errors or warnings in the XFree86.0.log file (attached as XFree86_0_log.txt - I thought someone said that problem had been fixed??), if I swap the monitors over it's always the one on the DRI with the VGA adapter that works - so the monitors are ok and the settings on CRT-0 are certainly ok.

I've also attached the XF86Config file as well.

Any ideas? Can I definitely say I have a hardware problem or is there a conflict with another setting somewhere (that isn't throwing an error)?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Hardware and other details are:-

This is my /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0:-
Model: Quadro4 700 XGL
IRQ: 16
Video BIOS: 04.25.00.23.09
Card Type: AGP

NVidia Driver version: 1.0-5336

OS: Linux cfd1 2.4.18-9.msc-smp #1 SMP Wed Nov 20 18:07:55 PST 2002 i686 unknown

/proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.20GHz
stepping : 4
cpu MHz : 2175.202
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips : 4338.48

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.20GHz
stepping : 4
cpu MHz : 2175.202
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips : 4338.48
Attached Files
File Type: txt XFree86_0_log.txt (26.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (8.1 KB, 219 views)
ronathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-04, 08:09 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Quadro4 700XGL twinview problem - hardware issue?

The problem is your XF86Config file. First I'll tell a bit how the config file works and then I think you'll understand the problem.

The fundation of the config file is formed by the ServerLayout section. Unless others specified (custom option to startx for example) X uses the first ServerLayout it can find.
This section contains references to input (keyboard/mouse) and screen sections (and other stuff but that is less important). The most important of those sections is the Screen section which describes what Device (videocard), monitor, resolution and color depth to use.

As you copied nvidia's sample XF86Config it contains multiple ServerLayout sections. The first of them is called "AGP" and it describes a configuration with only one monitor. (cause of the problem you are seeing)

To fix the problem, keep only the needed ServerLayout section and also remove all unneeded screen sections so you get a simple XF86Config file.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-04, 07:48 PM   #3
ronathome

Thanks for the help - The layout is much clearer to me know ;^)

However, the problem remains. I have attached the new, simpler, XF86Config file and resulting XFree86.0.log file. There is only one ScreenLayout section, one screen section, and one device section. If you look carefully at the original it is possible to work out that it was in fact using the correct sections anyway. It was confusing though, so now it's much simpler!

So the driver seems to think it has set up twinview correctly, and it uses the same refresh rates for both monitors. If I switch monitors my screen appears on whichever monitor is attached to the DRI port via the VGA adapter - so obviously both monitors can cope with the refresh rates being put out. The monitor connected to the standard VGA port shows nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Ron
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (5.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: txt XFree86_0_log.txt (28.3 KB, 188 views)
Old 04-19-04, 07:59 PM   #4
ronathome

Quick extra info -

A) If I disable stereo, it makes no difference

B) I just had X go through that thing it does when it can't initialize - respawning X every second or so - and then it managed to start!! With me not touching anything. So now I'm *really* suspicious I have a hardware issue.

Is there any way I can prove this or do I have to try to persuade a Dell technician that I'm *really* sure I've not stuffed up my Linux set up and that it's all Dell's fault?!!
Old 04-20-04, 07:05 PM   #5
ronathome

Hi folks. Found the answer to this - now does someone want to tell me if this is a bug or not?

First of all, let me say that the XF86Config file was correct all along - or at least was working (don't hang me up on the definition of "correct"!).

The problem was that at boot time the card decides which display-out device has "the" monitor on it and that's where it sends it's console output to. But it checks the VGA port before the DRI port, and if there's nothing on the VGA port it seems to then disable it. Twinview won't work until the machine has been through a power cycle with both monitors attached. Everything I tried involved cycling the X server by going through an "init 3","init 5" sequence.

So if the machine was initially booted without a monitor hanging off the VGA port, twinview won't work.

Bug? Shouldn't the driver report if the second screen output device has been disabled? Especially if it's asked to go into twinview mode where it's expected to activate that screen? Should I report this as a bug do you think?

Ron