Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-09-04, 03:36 AM   #1
tehdely
LUMIX

Default Has anybody managed to get a framebuffer console/bootsplash working alongside NVIDIA?

Howdy.

I'm running a 2.6.5 kernel with the NVIDIA 5336 release driver. It's been a charm so far... no panics, lockups, or any other issues... at all. It even worked with the 4K stacks patch from the -mm series, which had a bunch of folks on LKML baffled :P

There's just one more thing I'd like to try, though, and that's a framebuffer console. Not only would I like to give the bootsplash patches a shot, but I find VCs much more usable when rendered in a framebuffer (and also would like to use links -g from time to time). Unfortunately it seems that none of the framebuffer drivers provided with the linux kernel will coexist with the nvidia driver (at least while X is running). The readme itself states that the riva driver will cause lockups when console switching, and I can't even get vesafb to initialize.

Has anyone managed to get both framebuffers and X-with-nvidia-driver working side-by-side reliably?

I understand I may not be able to eat my cake and have it too, but if anyone's had any success I'd love to hear about it
-------------System:
Abit NF7-S V1
AMD 2500 Barton
NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL
Arch Linux with a 2.6.5 kernel
XFree86 4.4.0
tehdely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 04:58 AM   #2
andyrock

Default Re: Has anybody managed to get a framebuffer console/bootsplash working alongside NVI

Framebuffer/bootslash works ok here.

I'm using 2.6.4 (precompiled) from SUSE 9.1 beta. It's possible that they've patched it to hell to make bootsplash work.

Code:
vga = 0x317

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE

Last edited by andyrock; 04-09-04 at 01:36 PM.
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 07:13 AM   #3
r__wilco

Default Re: Has anybody managed to get a framebuffer console/bootsplash working alongside NVIDIA?

I've had it up and running without a problem. The trick is to use the vesa framebuffer and nothing else. This is the only fb driver that works alongside with nvidia's kernel module.
r__wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 01:09 PM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: Has anybody managed to get a framebuffer console/bootsplash working alongside NVI

ditto, I boot with vga=794 and have vesafb builtin to the kernel (non-modular) then the nVIDIA kernel module loads prior to X, but framebuffer ttys still work fine.
Old 04-10-04, 02:43 AM   #5
tehdely
LUMIX

Awesome, vga=794 worked

I guess the reason it always failed before that was due to my putting in hex values :P

Just finished getting bootsplash set up and everything is quite slick atm. Thanks for your help, everyone.
tehdely is offline   Reply With Quote