Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-04, 03:04 PM   #13
SuLinUX

Default Re: Support for 4K stack in the next kernel?

It was not aimed at you to shut up, thats why I did not quote you, it was a general comment as people cannot get it through there head.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 07:14 AM   #14
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
It's not a case of nvidia open sourcing there driver, because it is not going to happen, so just face it and shut up.
Well, it COULD happen at a later date, how are you so sure it will never happen?
Old 05-15-04, 07:21 AM   #15
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by connyosis
Well, it COULD happen at a later date, how are you so sure it will never happen?
Because they wish to keep the binary part secret and i'm sure it would take aload of work off there hands if they did. Nvidia advertising for a Linux dev is not a good sigh at all and backs up that they are not going to opensource it.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
Old 05-15-04, 07:26 AM   #16
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Because they wish to keep the binary part secret and i'm sure it would take aload of work off there hands if they did. Nvidia advertising for a Linux dev is not a good sigh at all and backs up that they are not going to opensource it.

Ok I don't quite follow you there. Wouldn't opening the binary part up take a lot of work off their hands, since then thousands of good programmers could help in improving the driver? But of course I understand that they do want to keep the binary part secret.
Advertising for a linux dev doesn't seem to be a good nor bad sign to me, but hey! What do I know...
Old 05-15-04, 02:04 PM   #17
delt

Send a message via ICQ to delt

> Ok I don't quite follow you there. Wouldn't opening the binary part up take a lot of work off
> their hands, since then thousands of good programmers could help in improving the driver?

Agreed.

> But of course I understand that they do want to keep the binary part secret.

I don't. What interest do they have in doing so?

> It's not a case of nvidia open sourcing there driver, because it is not going to
> happen, so just face it and shut up.

No i won't. The least thing that nvidia owes us customers who paid for their hardware, is a driver for it that works properly. I'm probably a lot more sick of all these problems with my video card, than you are about people with the common sense to expect working drivers for the hardware they purchased.
delt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 02:27 PM   #18
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt
> Ok I don't quite follow you there. Wouldn't opening the binary part up take a lot of work off
> their hands, since then thousands of good programmers could help in improving the driver?

Agreed.

> But of course I understand that they do want to keep the binary part secret.

I don't. What interest do they have in doing so?

> It's not a case of nvidia open sourcing there driver, because it is not going to
> happen, so just face it and shut up.

No i won't. The least thing that nvidia owes us customers who paid for their hardware, is a driver for it that works properly. I'm probably a lot more sick of all these problems with my video card, than you are about people with the common sense to expect working drivers for the hardware they purchased.

I'm sure nvidia have there reasons for not opening it and nvidia dont own you nothing and they dont have to support Linux, officially they dont as no linux driver comes in the box. About 0.1% buy a nvidia card for Linux only to play games anyway.
Old 05-15-04, 02:37 PM   #19
Benutzername

i think nvidia does not want to loose linux users, otherwise they wouldn't have developed the driver packages for linux. and if other drivers work for linux with 4K stack, nvidia will have to develop their drivers to support 4k stack too, otherwise they will loose all nvidia users on linux systems if the next stable kernel release include only 4k support.

and i think the 4k stack patch will not be revertable like it is now.
Quote:
Andrew Morton
...having the stack size configurable creates pain.
greets Bn
Benutzername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 03:30 PM   #20
delt

> About 0.1% buy a nvidia card for Linux only to play games anyway.

Multiply that by about 100. Plus, more and more people use Linux, either on its own or in dual boot systems. And yeah there's a lot less games available on linux than the "leading brand" so-called operating system but that's not the point. The point is that if nvidia has a good reason to NOT provide open source drivers, linux or other, they should -at least- explain to me why, instead of ignoring any and all reference to the issue. Anyway i don't see any reason for them not to open-source the drivers (other than plain stupidity) - it would benefit everyone, including them. I assume either they fail to see that, or they have something to hide from their users.... it's not like we're asking for the internal specs and details of the hardware.

Old 05-15-04, 04:18 PM   #21
SuLinUX

Quote:

Multiply that by about 100. Plus, more and more people use Linux, either on its own or in dual boot systems. And yeah there's a lot less games available on linux than the "leading brand" so-called operating system but that's not the point. The point is that if nvidia has a good reason to NOT provide open source drivers, linux or other, they should -at least- explain to me why, instead of ignoring any and all reference to the issue. Anyway i don't see any reason for them not to open-source the drivers (other than plain stupidity) - it would benefit everyone, including them. I assume either they fail to see that, or they have something to hide from their users.... it's not like we're asking for the internal specs and details of the hardware.
I dont see any reason for you to call them stupid for doing so, since there drivers are of a high standard considering. One thing that strikes me, why has NOBODY ELSE other than minion.de enhanced(they fixed afew bugs that nvidia did later) the Linux driver or tried to solve the so called bugs?, after all Windows leaked do. Sorry but there seems to me it's just something to moan about.

Another thing, opensource the driver to do what?, since the driver works fine X is rather buggy anyway, AGPGART broken, or linux not detecting the chipset bridges correct. OpenGL games run impressive, AA and AF is good speed, anything more?

Last edited by SuLinUX; 05-15-04 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-15-04, 06:49 PM   #22
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Quote:

Multiply that by about 100.
Are there any real definitive numbers as of the use of Linux for games or the number of people who buy nVidia cards only for there very good Linux support?

Anytime I purchase a game and register it, it only offers "PC" for the platform. I really think the numbers are a little low for Linux only 'cause nobody really cares on how many people use Linux to play games.

Speaking of Linux use of games, I was reading in one of the forums at http://www.garagegames.com/ that Mac users are nearly 60% of their business, where Linux is around 5%. I have purchased a few games from them and they are great! When I purchase a game, it doesn't ask me which version I want. My guess is they find out how many people download the version they want (Windows, Mac, Linux). If 5% for Linux games is true, then I can understand why we don't see that many Linux games. If you haven't purchased any of the games, they have demos of nearly everything. ThinkTanks and MarbleBlastGold are two of my favs. I have also purchased Orbs which is also a lot of fun.

I have purchased six nVidia cards in the last three years and my only reason is that their 3D drivers are currently the best you can get for Linux and I and my family play games every now and then. In fact I am getting ready to whoop up by boy in a game of ut2004.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 03:12 PM   #23
delt

> I really think the numbers are a little low for Linux only 'cause nobody
> really cares on how many people use Linux to play games.

yeah, a lot of retarded companies still view linux as some "university experiment" or are otherwise blatantly misinformed and ignorant... pretty sad thing............
Old 05-16-04, 03:15 PM   #24
delt

> I dont see any reason for you to call them stupid for doing so, since there
> drivers are of a high standard considering.

i dont quite get what you mean by "high standard considering" .