Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-04, 05:50 PM   #1
michael a.

Default where can i learn how to use the "nv" drivers as opposed to the "nvidia" ones?

where can i learn how to use the "nv" drivers as opposed to the "nvidia" ones?

so basically, you might've noticed my first thread where i'm having hell trying to bring nvidia driver support online. so my question this time , is can some one point me in the direction to learn how to go about setting up support for the nv driver set with debian linux so that i might be able to bring some degree of hardware accellerated graphics online. i will look for myself as soon as i find the courage. but thought i may as well ask first. my x system as it stands appears to have little to no compatibility with the nv set.

sincerely,

michael
michael a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-04, 06:38 PM   #2
quadfour

Default Re: where can i learn how to use the "nv" drivers as opposed to the "nvidia" ones?

I am using the 'nv' drivers right now, and they are not accelerated (3D wise).
AFAIK debian comes with the nv driver so all you have to do is change the Driver line in your XF86Config-4 file to say 'nv' instead of 'nvidia'. Your problem _really_ sounds similar to mine as my machine hard locks when loading the Nvidia kernel side module (see the 32 bit drivers on Asus K8V thread).

Just a suggestion, boot up with an extra kernel option 'single'. Then do a modprobe nvidia and see if your machine crashes. If it does you may suffer from the same problem I'm trying to get fixed.
quadfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-04, 06:53 PM   #3
michael a.

Default Re: where can i learn how to use the "nv" drivers as opposed to the "nvidia" ones?

"I am using the 'nv' drivers right now, and they are not accelerated (3D wise)."

yeah i read that... too bad.

"AFAIK debian comes with the nv driver so all you have to do is change the Driver line in your XF86Config-4 file to say 'nv' instead of 'nvidia'."

this never works for me. x trys to start about 3 times and gives up. i examined the log but i can't remember what it said, in any case it was very short. i just assumed something was missing. but i can't find anything nv related in dselect, nor can i find any real useful information on the internet related to nv. but if it is not 3d accelerated then i'ven't much use for it. i was using vesa successfully, but after upgrading x to 4.4 i can't get vesa to work either. it results in a display that looks like the refresh rate is wrong, but changing the resolution refresh colour depht and what have you has no effect. the config file worked fine for vesa before the upgrade, and never worked for nv. i'm just hoping that problem will fix itself after i get the nvidia drivers to work, assuming i ever will. people don't seem to be too helpful, and the software seems shotty at best. right now i'm looking into flashing the bios with little leads on how to. that is obtaining the new image and flashing it. i hope i don't need a floppy drive because i don't have one, i've gone through 5 or 6, they never work for me.

" Your problem _really_ sounds similar to mine as my machine hard locks when loading the Nvidia kernel side module (see the 32 bit drivers on Asus K8V thread)."

i think i've read tehm all for the last 4 or 5 pages.

"Just a suggestion, boot up with an extra kernel option 'single'. Then do a modprobe nvidia and see if your machine crashes. If it does you may suffer from the same problem I'm trying to get fixed."

i don't understand teh boot option part. i use grub, lilo never would recognize my kernel after i installed tehm. modprobe want crash my system. it simply reports that the proprietary drivers will taint the kernel open source wise.

in any case i apreciate teh response. i was beginning to feel like this place was a ghost town.. i think i will let this thread die and focus on my other running one.

best of luck.

sincerely,

michael
Old 04-10-04, 07:19 PM   #4
quadfour

Well you don't seem to be having the same problem as me if the modprobe nvidia doesn't lock up your system. Regarding the nv driver, go through the log in /var/log/XFree86.0.log file, its normally easy to follow. You could attach it here is you want.
Old 04-10-04, 07:39 PM   #5
michael a.

ok, i will give it a loo just for the hell of it, but i never keep my best computer on the internet. i will have to copy the log by hand. i read through your situation by the way. isn't this a grand way to waste your life. the sad part is that if i ever get this to work any time remotely soon it will proabably all seem worth it. my system is a 32 bit via based mother board, so our problems are probably not too related. its just amazing to me how many different ways tehse systems can go awry.

sincerely,

michael
Old 04-10-04, 07:54 PM   #6
quadfour

I like my old system, it was flawless, even with the nvidia drivers! I think the problem here is simply not enough testing done with the drivers. Apparently 32 bit drivers were tested on 64 bit hardware, but under 2 differnet 64 bit systems it fails for me, that is not good quality wise.
Old 04-10-04, 07:55 PM   #7
michael a.

the log reports:

(WW) NV: no matching device sectioin for instance (BusID PCI:0:10:0) found
(EE) NV(0): failed to open framebuffer device, consult warnings and/or errors above for possible reasons
(EE) screens found but none have a usable configuration

i tried specifying the bus id because i have two cards on this system, a pci card, but it made no difference.

do you think its possible that the problem with the nvidia drivers might have een the pci card? i really doubt it, but the bus id specification would correct it. the problem is whenenver i try something new, i have to run fsck twice, and escape the boot sequence to fix the xf86config file. so much would not be necesarry if i could figure out how to keep gdm from automatically envoking x.

sincerely,

michael
Old 04-10-04, 08:00 PM   #8
michael a.

because i'm a masochist i went ahead and tried to start x with the bus id specified with no luck... back to cleaning up the system for the hundredth time then. -michael

Old 04-10-04, 09:29 PM   #9
quadfour

#no matching device sectioin for instance (BusID PCI:0:10:0) found

This part would suggest the problem is with the configuration file. If you can attach it I will have a look.
Old 04-10-04, 09:44 PM   #10
michael a.

i actually have zero means of getting data out of my linux system right now, all i can do is copy it from terminal to terminal by hand. normally i either burn a cd or send the data acrosss a one way network with the windows boot. i can mount the windows ntfs disk inorder to get data onto the system. but the disk is read only for some reason within linux. tomorrow i'm going to look for a floppy disk drive, if i'm going to go through with flashing the bios, provided i can find a bios image. is there a particular section you need, i can copy that maybe. it started off with the default debian configuration, and never worked with the nv driver as far as i can imagine.oh, also after installing xf86.4.4 the display is hairy, but if i hid the config file the autoconfig process produces a usable displya albeit a minimal display with only the simplext device support. -michael
Old 04-10-04, 09:55 PM   #11
quadfour

Here is a copy of my XF86Config-4 file so you can compare. Look for problems in the 'Device' section.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (2.7 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-10-04, 11:37 PM   #12
michael a.

hey thank... the file was pretty standard, but i though just to be thorough... well there was one difference that i thought harmless. an option call UseFBDev which was set to true which has been there ever since i first installed the system booting from the debian distribution discs. but like i said, just to be thorough i removed it, and the nv driver worked. i've seen it in the logs before, and it said that it was ignored, so i thought it pretty standard. i have no idea waht it does for the record, i assume it means frame buffer device. but mechanistically speaking that is pretty vague. if this actually fixes my nvidia drivers problem i'm afraid i will be actually disappointed, but delightfully disappointed i'm sure. it is alwatys the stupid problems that are a bitter sweet victory. also i'm irritated with the debian distribution for putting it there without at least a comment. btw wheter is a place where all of the config terms are defined while i'm at it. i'm just happy to have x back for now. i will let you know how the 3d drivers turn out. i will still like to know how to terminate x with gdm running, and how to start x or gdm manually at boot rather than teh standard automated entrance to x if you can be helpful in that respect.

sincerely,

michael.