Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-16-02, 02:05 PM   #49
StealthHawk

ah yes, the fabled ExtremeTech AF article...where both shots had AF enabled and the author didn't even know it, and came to the conclusion that no AF and AF looked the same nice to see that they fixed those images but with a ridiculous screw up like that, how can we trust anything in that article...

that really doesn't say what nvidia is or is not doing, ie
Quote:
Also, if you consider the degree of anisotropy across a typical scene, the parts with highest anisotropy cover relatively small screen areas. You can see this if you compare the performance difference between 8X and 16X aniso; it's very small, because when 16X is used its only on areas nearly edge-on to the camera.
Chalnoth seems to say that nvidia does indeed do this, as it's part of the AF specification.

anyway, have you ever considered that ATI could just say that they implement AF they way they do after the fact? i mean, for whatever reason, ATI does AF the way they do it, so why not hype it?
Old 10-16-02, 04:41 PM   #50
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Ok here is one from a user named Dio who just happens to write drivers for the R9700:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...ighlight=aniso

Notice the part where he says A lot is due to the adaptive algorithm which sounds a lot like a speed optimization to me.
Adaptive algorithm doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the aniso degree selection method. Every aniso implementation must have a degree selection method, and therefore must be adaptive in some form.

What we don't know is just how adaptive ATI's method is. For example, it seems possible that ATI does indeed disable anisotropic for certain texture stages in order to improve performance. An example of a situation where this might be beneficial would be with a lightmap. Quite simply, applying aniso to a lightmap would result in very little image quality gain. So, ATI may disable anisotropic, for instance, when one texture is modulated with the base texture. This may be another way to have an adaptive algorithm.

As another way of stating it, every single anisotropic algorithm in existence will select different anisotropic degrees in a method very similar to the MIP map selection. That makes every anisotropic algorithm adaptive. But, it is possible that some algorithms are still more adaptive by disabling anisotropic entirely in certain situations (Or, at least, reducing the degree of aniso applied in certain scenarios...).

But the z-rotation issue is certainly not part of ATI's adaptive algorithm, if it is indeed more adaptive than nVidia's (which is possible, but not altogether likely).
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 12:58 AM   #51
Mono
wtf?

go ahead and post an 8x af screeny on the geforce4 somewhere in ut2k3 and i'll take a screeny from same place with my 9700 @ 8 & 16x af. I doubt you'll visually be able to tell no diffrence except the 9700 is clearer. Go ahead and prove me wrong though
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 01:16 AM   #52
Chalnoth

Well, let me just say that it's going to be very hard to pick out the differences anyway, primarily because the situations in which you can take truly identical screenshots on different machines are quite limited.

That said, here's a shot I took with the UT2K3 demo on the DM-Antalus map. This was taken at one of the spawn points, so please try to keep respawning until you end up at this exact spot, then take the shot. Also, please try to remove your weapon from view, for the best possible look at the scenery.

http://66.127.114.107/aniso8x.jpg

P.S. This will be my first test of the new setup. It should work, but please let me know if it doesn't, including any error messages.

Last edited by Chalnoth; 10-18-02 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 07:57 AM   #53
Mono
wtf?

link's not working. You said it was with demo.. that had lower settings in the grahpics, do you remeber exactly what they were? IE: World Detail: Medium. Texture Detail: Medium. etc.
Old 10-17-02, 08:53 AM   #54
Chalnoth

Oh, hehe, at the time you posted, I had my computer turned off :P Sorry 'bout that. And damn, my IP address changed again.

As for the settings, well, they were all on UltraHigh, which means they were as high as is possible with the Demo. So, I suppose the only good way to do it would be to go ahead and post a shot from the demo.
Old 10-17-02, 10:23 AM   #55
Nv40
Agent-Fx

i think it is better ,if you tweak a little the Gamma ,brightness
and sharpness of the game ,chalnoth ..

it can make a big diference in the quality of the image .
your screnshot looks a little washed in the textures...
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 04:25 PM   #56
Mono
wtf?

Alright, I took a 16x aniso shot from there and i'll upload it in another day or so once I get my webspace working again.

Old 10-17-02, 04:30 PM   #57
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Nv40
i think it is better ,if you tweak a little the Gamma ,brightness
and sharpness of the game ,chalnoth ..

it can make a big diference in the quality of the image .
your screnshot looks a little washed in the textures...
Looks good on my monitor. Besides, for screenshot comparison, it is best not to tweak the images at all, if possible.
Old 10-17-02, 07:27 PM   #58
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

Looks good on mine too, without any tweaking to gamma / brightness / contrast.
Old 10-18-02, 10:48 AM   #59
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

lol, I guess NV40's monitor is what needs a bit of tweaking.
IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 09:29 PM   #60
Mono
wtf?

Sorry for crappy jpeg compression and taking so long

Last edited by Mono; 10-18-02 at 11:57 PM.