Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-04, 12:23 PM   #1
lionSOB

Question Knoppix/Windows9x/NForce1 Network Controller Problem

New Linux user,long time Windows user here ( so take it slow and use small words and easy concepts when replying. )
I hope that someone here knows the answer to my problem.
After the first time that I got Knoppix Linux Ver.3.3 2004-2-16 to bootup and run normally from the CD-ROM everything worked fine but when I rebooted back into Windows ME the driver for the onboard network controller refused to load.Have tried everything I can think of to fix it,removed and reinstalled driver,turned network adapter off and on in the BIOS,even removed and reinstalled Windows ME (was due for reinstalling,had been running 2+ years,had to make room on hard drive for Linux installation )
Network adapter works fine under Linux but won't work under Windows anymore.
Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks In Advance.
Peace
lionSOB

SYSTEM SPECS
MSI K7N420D Pro motherboard
AMD AlthonXP 1600+
128 MB GForce 3 TI 200 AGP (primary display)
16 MB ATI Rage Pro PCI (secondary display)
32 MB GForce 2 MX (onboard,disabled)
Nvidia SoundStorm Audio (onboard,5.1,dolby digital)
Nvidia 100/10 base T ethernet adapter (onboard)
Seagate 20 GB HD x2
CD-RW x2 (1 Sony, 1 L.G.)
Windows ME
Knoppix/Debian Linux (dual boot, Windows & Linux)
lionSOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-04, 09:25 PM   #2
lionSOB

Default Re: Knoppix/Windows9x/NForce1 Network Controller Problem

Work Around Found!

I figured out how to fix the problem everytime it happens.This may not work for anyone else but here goes.
1st In the BIOS set "Advanced BIOS Features -Boot Other Device" to Enable.
2nd This is the part that may not work for anyone else as my system has 2 hard drives ,primary IDE master (Windows/Linux bootable) and slave (fat32,data,nonbootable). when Linux installed Lilo in the Master Boot Record on the bootable drive (C: , HDA ) it detected the nonbootable drive ( D: , HDB ) and made an entry in Lilo.config giving me the option of trying to boot off the nonbootable drive, when that fails it triggers the motherboard BIOS's boot on lan feature which resets the onboard ethernet adapter to default settings undoing whatever changes forcedeth is applying to the adapter allowing the Windows Drivers to load when Windows starts up.
Its kinda messy but it works.
Peace
lionSOB
lionSOB is offline   Reply With Quote