Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-04, 07:56 PM   #13
SuLinUX
 
SuLinUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Default Re: NVIDIA-5336 + latest 2.6 kernel problems

Nvidia needs something to focus on, nvidia need to get the driver fast and stable with the manstream kernels NOT bleeding edge ones. The drivers seem to be solid on the 2.6.x from what i've seen so bleeding edge distros will have to suffer if you ask me.
__________________
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-04, 08:08 PM   #14
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer
 
LordMorgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 872
Default Re: NVIDIA-5336 + latest 2.6 kernel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Nvidia needs something to focus on, nvidia need to get the driver fast and stable with the manstream kernels NOT bleeding edge ones. The drivers seem to be solid on the 2.6.x from what i've seen so bleeding edge distros will have to suffer if you ask me.
According to all indications, bleeding edge (re: this topic) will rapidly become mainstream... in other words all Linux users will suffer once mainstream merges this work -- only distros that do not upgrade kernels will remain 'solid on the 2.6.x'. In this you are right... up to a point in time, where you become very wrong.

I do not stand with those that think nVIDIA should put extensive effort into following the bleeding edge, however, in this case significant changes are being made that WILL effect the ability of their drivers to perform. I expect that in time they will correct these problems -- it would be reasonable for the engineers to begin looking at the problem now.
__________________
"..the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)
nVIDIA video driver RPMs for Fedora :: see yum repo at livna.org.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-04, 11:09 PM   #15
pschaff
Old Geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8
Default Re: NVIDIA-5336 + latest 2.6 kernel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
According to all indications, bleeding edge (re: this topic) will rapidly become mainstream... in other words all Linux users will suffer once mainstream merges this work -- only distros that do not upgrade kernels will remain 'solid on the 2.6.x'. In this you are right... up to a point in time, where you become very wrong.

I do not stand with those that think nVIDIA should put extensive effort into following the bleeding edge, however, in this case significant changes are being made that WILL effect the ability of their drivers to perform. I expect that in time they will correct these problems -- it would be reasonable for the engineers to begin looking at the problem now.
If nVidia developers are not paying attention to no-longer-quite-so-bleeding-edge efforts such as Fedora Core 2 test releases, and the soon-to-be-mainstream (kernel 2.6.6) performance-enhancing 4K_STACK patches Red Hat developers are helping create, they will be blind-sided when new releases (e.g. FC2) hit the street. Better yet, they could open source the 3D support, as they have the 2D code in the nv driver, and get the benefits of community support. Hope they are listening.
pschaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-04, 05:40 PM   #16
maro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 64
Default Re: NVIDIA-5336 + latest 2.6 kernel problems

Imho nvidia ought to focus on the bleeding obvious before the bleeding edge, like reported bugs. (dare I say pci_badness?)
maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-04, 06:40 PM   #17
SuLinUX
 
SuLinUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Default Re: NVIDIA-5336 + latest 2.6 kernel problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro
Imho nvidia ought to focus on the bleeding obvious before the bleeding edge, like reported bugs. (dare I say pci_badness?)
Well you should know by now Linux comes last, they got the NV40 to launch and Windows drivers never mind Linux ones.

I never experienced the pci_badness or nvidia installer problems with any kernels i've used so....
__________________
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-04, 11:43 PM   #18
zexicco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1
Default Re: NVIDIA-5336 + latest 2.6 kernel problems

If message "Unable to determine system version" occurred while building nvidia driver, it means the header file "include/linux/version.h" couldn't be found. If you build kernel 2.6.x within build directory as the steps in kernel source README described, you have to copy "version.h" from build directory to kernel source directory manually.
Furthermore, the gcc's version that is used to compile nvidia driver must be the same gcc that is used to compile kernel. Therefore, there maybe a need to compile nvidia driver manually.
Well, suppose the kernel is compiled with gcc-2.95.3, then run the commands below:
#sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --extract-only
#cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336\nv
#CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95.3 make && make install
zexicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corrupted display - 302.17 - Dell Precision T3500 (G98 [Quadro NVS 295]) gbailey NVIDIA Linux 1 06-27-12 11:24 AM
UEFI+Nvidia - NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console... interzoneuk NVIDIA Linux 0 06-26-12 05:51 AM
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 12:04 PM
Lucid rt kernel can't load latest nvidia driver module, but generic does. marcod NVIDIA Linux 0 05-02-12 07:23 AM
NVIDIA kernel not loading on boot-up, but insmod loads it Kyle NVIDIA Linux 3 09-10-02 01:01 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.