Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which is the better gaming platform?
PC 29 90.63%
Gaming consoles 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-04, 12:30 PM   #13
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Which is the better gaming platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain
Well, Xbox supports HDTV resolutions so I don't think that resolutions should be an issue.
But cost is. A 720p HDTV still costs thousands of dollars compared to a 17-inch LCD that does 1280x1024 and costs $500.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-04, 01:18 PM   #14
MrTexTure

Pc of course ..consoles is for 6 year's old hehe

Pc hands down, Super Gfx/ high frames/ high rez monitor mmm nothing will even come close to Pc Games ;-)
MrTexTure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-04, 01:20 PM   #15
MrTexTure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTexTure

Pc hands down, Super Gfx/ high frames/ high rez monitor mmm nothing will even come close to Pc Games ;-)
Oops forget to say key and mouse but that goes withowt saying :-)
Old 04-19-04, 01:36 PM   #16
Kain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTexTure

Well, PCs only seems to excel in FPS games. Consoles own the sports and driving games.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-04, 01:37 PM   #17
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

Thats the beautey of growing up, we all get jobs so we can buy even MORE gaming potential.. PC all the way, But I still love my consoles. Can't play Ninja Gaiden or DOA3 on a PC now can ya.
Old 04-19-04, 01:42 PM   #18
Kain

Here is an article regarding Doom 3. I'll quote this part:
Quote:
The Xbox Version

After so many rumors and crossed information, last May, Activision and id Software confirmed that an Xbox version of Doom III was in the works. Soon we learned that the development team in charge of bringing Doom III to the Xbox was Vicarious Visions; a developer that is no stranger to Xbox development. They brought us Crash Nitro Kart, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

The first thing that is worth clarifying is that Doom III for the Xbox is not a port of the PC version. Karthik Bala, CEO of Vicarious Visions, is always quick to point out that “the Xbox version of Doom III is not a port, but rather another version of the game.” Vicarious Visions feels proud of the particulars they’re implementing into the Xbox version to take advantage of what the console has to offer.

Although everything related to Doom III and the technologies powering the game have been under wraps, it is well known that John Carmack has worked hard on scalability. Since the nature of PC gaming is about different hardware configurations (where two computers will never be the same from the hardware and software perspectives), the Doom III engine has been designed to cover a broad spectrum.

The question is, can a console be included in that spectrum? Well, both the PlayStation 2 and the Gamecube were out of the picture considering their hardware specs. Could the Xbox make it? After a research process it was decided that our beloved Xbox had enough under the hood to get the job done. Its graphics chip, the NV2X, has two pixel shader units and two vertex units, which makes it like a mix between the GeForce 3 and the Geforce 4. Bringing Doom III to the Xbox is based upon this fact. The only doubts were if the low amount of system memory, a characteristic of its console nature, and the low clock speed (compared to modern PCs) of the central processing unit could hold back this initiative. Well, the truth is that this will make things difficult but not impossible. And it’s these types of challenges that VV likes to tackle.

Developing for a console has one big advantage over the PC; the developer has consistent hardware to work with being that each Xbox console is identical. Therefore special code to maximize performance can be written and it will work consistently throughout. This is where Vicarious Visions has excelled in the development of Doom III.

The dev team did some research and found back doors and even a few undocumented instructions for the NV2X, allowing them to write custom shaders for the Xbox GPU which have improved performance to an exceptional level. The standard seven passes required to render a single frame in Doom III were reduced to four passes; that’s almost unbelievable in terms of graphic performance. The end result? At 640x480 it is hard to distinguish between the two versions. So if you’ve seen how good the PC version looks, the Xbox version will be right on par.
Old 04-19-04, 01:42 PM   #19
Kain

Here is the link.

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox/705/Doom-III/p1
Old 04-19-04, 02:03 PM   #20
Kain

And here is an interview for the Xbox version of Doom 3.

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbo...es/34068.shtml

Old 04-19-04, 02:17 PM   #21
MrTexTure

Quote:
Well, PCs only seems to excel in FPS games. Consoles own the sports and driving games.
Mayby sports titles but I hate sport games annyway and as for driving games consoles own that, heh man what are you smoking, you must be kidding me right! Just take a look at a console driving game with the usual ugly low rez **** where you can't see **** 2 meters from you thats all..

Take a look at anny Pc Driving Game at high rez and well hehe enough said ..!
Old 04-21-04, 03:29 PM   #22
trashcan

Send a message via ICQ to trashcan

Part of the reason I pick PC is because I can still install and play games like battlezone,tie fighter,warcraft2, and they still look good. One good thing about the playstation 2 was that you could play your old games without having 300 cables all over the place and around your TV.

They both have different type's of games, console you have alot of fighting games ,but on PC you have alot FPS/multi-player games. Really now that im playing Madden 2004, NBA live 2004, and NHL 2004 on my PC I dont miss console at all execpt for fighting games. Wish the PC would get some fighting games/with multi-player.
trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 03:40 PM   #23
trashcan

Send a message via ICQ to trashcan

Kain said:
"Well, PCs only seems to excel in FPS games. Consoles own the sports and driving games."

Dude WTF are you saying???? You ever hooked a force feed back steering wheel to you lazy boy??? Man there is nothing like racing nascar 2003 with 15-20 guys with your wheel and pedels(I have logetich force wheel).

And all sports games play just like on the console now and have just as good if not better graphics. I have a microsoft sidewinder gamepad and it handles sports game just fine, and feels better to me then any console gamepads i've used( everyone hands gonna be different ).

Now that I see your system I can see why you like the console better. That is the only bad thing about PC is the upgrading can get to cost alot.
trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 03:42 PM   #24
XanderF

Location: Buried 40ft below the Lunar surface, near the crater Tycho
Send a message via Yahoo to XanderF

Quote:
Here is an article regarding Doom 3. I'll quote this part:
...snip...
The end result? At 640x480 it is hard to distinguish between the two versions. So if you’ve seen how good the PC version looks, the Xbox version will be right on par.
Awesome.

Cause, you know, I plan on playing Doom3 at 640x480 on my PC

Sorry, but PCs are teh win for their interface. Keyboard + mouse + desk + LCD > *.*

Quote:
You ever hooked a force feed back steering wheel to you lazy boy??? Man there is nothing like racing nascar 2003 with 15-20 guys with your wheel and pedels(I have logetich force wheel).
Exactly.

And what kind of force feedback to consoles get? Doesn't the XBox just have 'rumble' feedback? Gamecube doesn't even HAVE any! Want to feel the wheels slipping as you offroad through a rally? Can't do THAT on a console!

And, sure, okay, so SOME consoles DO have 'PC-like' peripherals (keyboards + mice). Tell me that keyboard + mice combo compares to a PC ergonomic keyboard paired with a Razer Boomsland on a RatpadzGS? Didn't think so...