Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-02, 02:03 PM   #1
losunc

Angry Mandrake 9.0 and GeForce 2 Go

I have been reading stuff on this forum and found a lot of useful info, but I still can't seem to get the kernel driver installed. I am getting the large list of error messages that a couple of people posted. I am very new to Linux, so anything would be helpful and appreciated. I can't seem to find where my kernel-source directory is located either. Thanks.

Los
losunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-02, 07:59 PM   #2
bwkaz

I believe Mandrake offers urpmi by default. Try a urpmi kernel-source, and see if that installs the kernel-source package for you. It'll probably ask for the CDs (or you might need them in to begin with), but that shouldn't be too hard.

Although if you don't have CD 3 (the supposed "internationalization" CD... ), then you don't have the kernel-source package available to install. In that case, you'll have to download and burn the CD 3 iso file.

Almost forgot -- if the urpmi command complains that it doesn't know what kernel-source is, or something like that, then put your CD 3 in, mount it (if Mandrake doesn't use supermount anymore or if it's broken), cd into /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPM<something>, and try to urpmi kernel-source but hit the tab key after typing in kernel-source. Tab will autocomplete the rest of the filename for you, which is very nice. That should work better.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-02, 09:18 AM   #3
losunc

Question

I installed the kernel-source files, but I don't know where they are. When I try to either rpm install or .tar install, I get the same errors (long list). If you need the errors, I can try to get them (again, I'm really new to linux so I don't really know many commands right now ) Any thoughts? TIA.

Los
Old 10-24-02, 11:50 AM   #4
bwkaz

The kernel sources should be in your /usr/src/linux directory, or, failing that, in /usr/src/linux-<version>. Also, you'll want to make sure that /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build points at the root of where the kernel sources are. ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build should tell you where it's pointing. Make sure, again, that the kernel sources match version-wise whatever kernel is running (the uname -r command above, if you run it manually, will tell you what kernel version you're using).

Edit: If none of this seems to help, then go ahead and post the list of errors. Do a make >log.txt 2>&1 to log them all to a file named log.txt in your current directory. Then post that file.
Old 10-24-02, 03:23 PM   #5
losunc

Same errors. Can you tell me what I should be seeing in the source directory? I find a directory called "kernel" in the path you specified. It contains several .c files, but neither the directory, nor the files have a version associated with them. I am attaching the log.txt file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (7.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 10-24-02, 05:11 PM   #6
bwkaz

Quote:
nv-linux.h:43:4: #error This driver does not support 2.6.x or newer kernels!
??? Why does it think you're running 2.6? 2.6 doesn't even exist! What does uname -r tell you?

Your /usr/src/linux directory should look something like this:

Code:
[bilbo@beta bilbo]$ ls /usr/src/linux
COPYING         Makefile        System.map            fs/       kernel/   myconfig.old
CREDITS         README          alsa-driver-0.5.12a/  include/  lib/      net/
Documentation/  REPORTING-BUGS  arch/                 init/     mm/       scripts/
MAINTAINERS     Rules.make      drivers/              ipc/      myconfig  vmlinux*
Obviously you probably don't have all of these files there, but most of the directories should match, except for alsa-driver (that's one I added later).

If you open up /usr/src/linux/Makefile in an editor, you should be able to see the version. It's one of the first 10 lines in the file -- $(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL), and $(VERSION), $(PATCHELEVEL), and $(SUBLEVEL) are all defined slightly higher in the file.
Old 10-24-02, 07:02 PM   #7
losunc

I don't know why it says that about the 2.6. I have version 2.4.16-19 or something like that. My /usr/src/linux directory looks like that. So should I assume the /kernel directory in there is the source directory? Someone had posted somewhere that I should try rpm -qa | grep kernel-source to see if my files are installed. At first nothing showed up. So I installed the kernel-source files and now it says "kernel-source-<version>. I don't know what that command does or what that output means, but if that is a directory that I am supposed to be looking for, I don't know where to look.

Los
Old 10-24-02, 11:09 PM   #8
bwkaz

If all those directories are there, then you should be OK. Make sure that the version stuff in the Makefile matches the kernel you're running (VERSION should be 2, PATCHLEVEL should be 4, SUBLEVEL should be 16, and EXTRAVERSION should be -16), and then make sure that /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build points to wherever the base of that tree is (probably /usr/src/linux-2.4.16-19). The kernel-source is installed there (/usr/src/linux-2.4.16-19).

Then, go into the root directory (the one that looks like what I posted) and do a make mrproper oldconfig dep

Then try make clean and a re-make in the NVIDIA_kernel directory (if you're installing from tarballs), or an rpmbuild --rebuild ........ if you're using .src.rpm files.

Old 10-25-02, 09:16 AM   #9
losunc

Ok. things have gotten better, I think. I did what you said, but I get errors when I do the make mrproper. I logged them and will post them as log2.txt. Then I did a re-make in the nvidia directory after doing a make clean and got different errors from last time. I put them in log.txt. I tried redoing the steps you told me to one more time and I got different errors the second time. I included these errors from the make in the NVIDIA directory in log3.txt.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (2.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-25-02, 09:21 AM   #10
losunc

Don't know how to attach more than one file. Here is the log3.txt and I am going to copy the error for log2.txt because it is a large file:

make -C Portman_PCS fastdep
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/3rdparty/Portman_PCS'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/include -E -D__GENKSYMS__ Portman_PCS.c
| /sbin/genksyms -k 2.4.19 > /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/include/linux/modules/Portman_PCS.ver.tmp
Portman_PCS.c:32:40: missing binary operator before '('
Portman_PCS.c:478:40: missing binary operator before '('
Portman_PCS.c:806:41: missing binary operator before '('
Portman_PCS.c:825:41: missing binary operator before '('
Portman_PCS.c:845:40: missing binary operator before '('
mv /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/include/linux/modules/Portman_PCS.ver.tmp /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/include/linux/modules/Portman_PCS.ver
Attached Files
File Type: txt log3.txt (3.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-25-02, 01:11 PM   #11
bwkaz

make mrproper was giving you errors on fastdep? That makes no sense...

All the other errors you've logged are because your kernel tree isn't set up quite right yet. Get that, and I think the rest will fall into place.

First, do just a make mrproper in /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk

Then, do a make oldconfig from the same directory.

Then, do a make dep from the same directory.

Then, make sure that /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/build points to /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk again, and create it if it doesn't.

Then, finally, try the NVIDIA_kernel again -- make clean, then make from its directory.

If you hit errors anywhere, stop there. Continuing almost assuredly won't work. Generate a log file like you've been doing, and post it.
Old 10-25-02, 01:48 PM   #12
losunc

Ok. This time, the make mrproper etc... worked fine (when i did them separate). I tried to do the make in the nvidia directory, and it seemed to be working, but then I got one error. Again, included in log.txt.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (1.8 KB, 96 views)