Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-02, 11:24 AM   #1
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Slipstreaming XP SP1 - from neowin.net

I read this article on Neowin.net regarding slipstreaming service pack 1 onto a standard Win XP CD and burning it so you don't have to keep reinstalling SP1 separately. The story is very detailed (with lots of pics) and goes through each step one by one with what you need and the exact way to go about performing this procedure. I did this, and rebooted my system with the new disc and it recognized it exactly.

This is definitely recommended reading for all you XP users out there who don't want to have to install service pack 1 separately each time you install Windows.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 11:37 AM   #2
volt

I usually followed http://www.thetechguide.com which has some great articles. I've slipstreamed my Windows 2000 two times already and Windows XP one time. Good read
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 02:26 PM   #3
StealthHawk

does this work with all versions of WinXP cds? do you need the full installation cd vs upgrade, or does it matter

i ask becaue i remember a similar slipstream guide being posted about on the front page, and it said it only worked with XP Professional
Old 10-11-02, 06:22 PM   #4
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by madthumbs
About a month ago you could download xp with sp1 integrated
probably faster just to slipstream the cd yourself

of course i realize what you were really getting at
Old 10-12-02, 03:43 PM   #5
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

If you guys want to create a slipstream I think you gotta check out WinCdMan.

tastiest piece of freeware I had in a while. mmmmmmmm

slipstreamed xp, sp1, all the hotfix's, edited cab. files to add device drivers and added tons of misc unrelated files to the slipstream bootable cd.

http://berns.cae.wisc.edu/pages/wincdman.asp

Windows Compact Disk Management Script (WINCDMAN)

Objective:

Create a script that handles all the necessary upgrades one might want to do with a Windows NT/2000/XP CD.

Automated Process:

Copy CD install(s) to temporary location.
Slip Stream service pack into installation.
Extract hot-fixes and service packs.
Remove irrelevant hot-fix files.
Integrate hot-fix files into CD install.
Recompile necessary cabinet files.
Extract the disk boot images (if multi-boot).
Edit the disk boot images (if multi-boot).
Remove setup prompt for CD-Key (if desired and possible).
Find any duplicate files (i.e. TEST.EX_ and TEST.EXE)
Compress any new files.
Create the ISO image.
Burn the CD with a working boot sector.

Proposed Solution:

The script will handle all the necessary file operations for slipstreaming a Windows 2000 single / multi-boot CD and integrating any hot-fixes in it. The script is written in batch code using a collection of utilities and Windows Command Extensions (won't work under Win 9X).

Note: This script edits the necessary files via hex code on the fly, so it may work with Windows NT and XP already. It should work regardless of what service pack you're installing. You may experience problems if you attempt to upgrade an already personalized CD --- this uses date comparison as the method of upgrading from hot-fix files and using cdimage.exe wrongly (as some sites instruct) will encode a false modified date onto CDs. This script maintains the structure of the Windows installation, keeping actual modified file date.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 04:47 PM   #6
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

http://home.carolina.rr.com/lexunfreeware/

unrelated but also under the heading of awesome freeware.

xp reg scrub works well.
Old 10-12-02, 09:09 PM   #7
StealthHawk

so...slipstreaming works with XP Home and Professional versions?

i'll also assume that it should work with Upgrade or Full cds for their respective versions.
Old 10-12-02, 10:37 PM   #8
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

worked for me with a winxp home upgrade cd

Old 10-13-02, 04:22 AM   #9
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
worked for me with a winxp home upgrade cd
thank you. finally a response

ok, next question. is XP Professional really that much better than Home? i'm thinking i don't want to wait till 2005 to upgrade my machine(or late 2003-2004). i'm already seeing a disturbing trend of drivers being available exclusively for XP/2000 instead of simultaneous releases for nt5/9x
Old 10-13-02, 08:17 AM   #10
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

pro is not a whole lot diff than home, mostly network and network security related changes.

home supports one processor, pro supports 2.

If you already have a valid windows install disc I recommend purchasing the xp home upgrage version sinces its cheaper.

using the upgrade version you can still do fresh installs on a clean drive, you dont need an os previously installed.

the xp cd will ask you to insert a valid install disc from a previous windows version for confirmation, then it will install xp like normal.
Old 10-13-02, 06:57 PM   #11
StealthHawk

the problem seems to be that you can purchase the Pro version for $90 online or at campus stores, but the Home version doesn't seem be be much cheaper than the normal MSRP