Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-02, 06:53 PM   #1
Pontius

Default In desperate need of help with a ti 4400

I just purchased a PNY ti 4400. I waited a few weeks and was so eager to get my new $200 toy. I get it, put it in my AGP slot and find that my monitor gets no signal with it. I swapped it out with my old card (a GeForce 2 MX), just to make sure, and that one worked fine. But my new card will not work at all! All of the troubleshooting guides talk about installing new drivers if your card doesn't work. Mine won't even get to that point, there is no signal coming to the monitor. I checked that power is going to it, and it seems fine because the fan on the card is spinning. I'm running it on a 1.33 GHz Athlon, asus a7a266 mobo with a viewsonic pf790 monitor. Can anyone help me? I've heard some mention of needing a beefy power supply with these cards. Maybe that's it. Thanks, bye
Pontius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 07:29 PM   #2
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

I would think you have a broken card. If you can try it in another machine or just get a replacement.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 07:46 PM   #3
The Baron

Never heard of any problems with that particular board and GF4s, so I'm guessing you got unlucky and got a bad card.

Sorry bro.
Old 10-11-02, 08:04 PM   #4
OliverRedfox

If it craps out once you start booting windows, it could be a driver issue. But if you aren't getting a signal even when you first power on, such as your memory check and other bios boot functions, a driver won't change things, only a new video card that isn't broken will.
OliverRedfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 10:59 PM   #5
Pontius

I tested the card on another computer, Dell P4 and it works fine! So the card is definitely ok. But here at home, when I turn on the computer, the monitor doesn't get a signal and just displays its default "no sync" message. It's not a driver issue, the screen is blank from the start, before windows ever starts booting. Any ideas? Again, it's a PNY ti 4400, asus a7a266 mobo and an Athlon 1.33GHz. I just bought a 350 watt power supply, when it gets here in a week, I'll probably give that a try and see if it helps. I really hope so. Any other ideas?
Old 10-11-02, 11:00 PM   #6
Bah!

I had the same problem with mine when i first got it. It turns out the card just wasnt seated in the AGP slot all the way. It could be a bad card but it could also just need a bit of a push when you install it.

Also was your MX card pci or agp? If it was pci you need to switch the primary graphics to agp before you take it out so that when you put in the Agp card it will recognize it.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 03:47 AM   #7
Pontius

my old card was in the agp slot and it was fine. i also made sure it was firmly pressed in. it is down as far as it will go. still, no signal. i'm going to tinker with the bios and see what happens
Old 10-12-02, 11:27 AM   #8
LordVampyre

sorrry sounds like a doa
LordVampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-02, 06:18 PM   #9
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

When you power up does the fan on the card start up? If it doesn't then it's probably not seated properly. My GF4 required some *ahem* encouragment to get it to seat in the AGP slot properly.

Also try and set your BIOS to initialise the AGP port first if you have that option.

Does your computer continue to boot even without the signal? And do you hear mutliple POST beeps when you power up?

So many questions, so few answers

edit
just read your first post again, the fan is powering up so the cards getting power. Give it a good push anyways just to make sure!!

One other thing to try is increasing the I/O voltage by a fraction, if you have that option. This may be a little risky so I'd try it as a last resort.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon

Last edited by SurfMonkey; 10-12-02 at 06:28 PM.
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 07:54 PM   #10
Smokey
Team Rainbow

With computers you get to learn that they have a mind of thier own sometimes Ive had the exact same problem with my GF3 in my old pc, thing is I still dont know what happened as I didnt change anything in the bios nor my pc and everything just started working again. It can be a rreal apin in the butt, start by only putting the videocard, cpu and one stick of ram in the motherboard and see how u go. Also something that has already been said, as the card is new it could be a tight fight in the AGP slot, so keep trying there, move the card from side to side a little. Or it may just be your power supply after all as I belive a P4 system will use a minimum 350watt and you may have a 250watt?
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-02, 01:09 AM   #11
Pontius

Still no luck, here's a summary of where I'm at:

1) Tried it on a Dell P4 at work, and it works fine. Therefore, the card is not bad. It works perfectly fine on other systems beside mine.

2) I made sure it is firmly seated in the AGP slot. It can't go in any further, trust me.

3) I upgraded my bios, and still nothing. I'm really beginning to think it's the power supply. I don't even know how many watts my current one is. It's some cheap piece of crap I bought a long time ago. Although, there is enough power to make the fan on the card spin.

4) I ordered a new 350 watt supply, should be here in about a week, I'll let you know what happens then.

I really hope that fixes it, otherwise I'll need to get a new mobo, ugh.
Old 10-13-02, 06:18 PM   #12
walkndude

If you want to diagnose your problem you'll really need to strip the system. Remove all cards except the vc and only connect the hardrive, then set your bios to defaults.

It helps others to help you by being a alot more specific as far as listing your machines specs. Without detailed specs all your going to get are guesses.