Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-02, 03:30 PM   #1
Zoltan

Question DPMS + TvOut + Video trouble

Hello

I have ASUS V8200 Deluxe (original GF3 with TvOut). I connect it to my Sony VCR to watch movies. I launch a second X server using "startx -- -layout TV :1" and run mplayer there.

If I don't move a mouse/press keys for a long time (an hour or so) despite my setting of DPMS to off

xset s off
xset -dpms

I also have an option "DPMS" "off" in my device section for TvOut in /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4.

it looks like my system tries to turn on power saving. When it happens my second X server dies with Signal 11 (log of what I get in my /var/log/XFree86.1.log when I run startx with -logverbose 5 is attached).

This is a minor issue, I can move my mouse every now and then to not allow power saving (which I cannot seem to disable), but I think I get the same problem on Windows 2000 SP3 too, can't give any debug info there though since there are no logs for windows.

Using: Mandrake linux 8.2 on Athlon TBird 1400, Asus A7M266 motherboard, LG Flatron 915FT+ monitor with

NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.mdk82up

drivers.

Let me know if there's something that can be done (most of all I hope that this is a bug and it will be fixed).
Old 10-14-02, 03:34 PM   #2
Zoltan

Default Sorry forgot to attach log file, here it goes

See attachment
Attached Files
File Type: txt xfree86.1.log.txt (27.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 10-14-02, 03:50 PM   #3
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Do you have powersaving modes turned on in your system bios?

--andy
Old 10-14-02, 05:37 PM   #4
Zoltan

Now, don't I feel stupid for not looking into bios setup? Yes you're right, it was set to suspend via DPMS after 40 minutes. I've disabled it and didn't have time for test whether or not that was the reason of my problem, but that must have been it. Thank you very much !!

Since you were so quick to answer, perhaps this is a known problem, but still to let you know, W2K gets outright killed when this happens, on linux just X server dies, so if there's a way, perhaps this should be fixed.

Thanks again for your help.