Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-04, 04:53 PM   #1
Daev

Question Linux Noobie Alert

Okay first to warn you I have NEVER used Linux before.

So I tried to load up Knoppix the other day off a CD and on loadup of the OS my screen goes black. No response, not from the Nvidia card OR from the SIS onboard card. It would seem that it can't find my drivers (I am assuming). Does anyone know if there is some way for me to download the Linux drivers for my Nvidia card so that the OS will recognize them when I boot it up (and so I can see what I am doing in it). I see to be able to boot up the OS fine on my laptop with built in ATI card. Just not on my PC ... can anyone help a person who is hoping to convert from this wretched OS?
Daev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 01:31 AM   #2
MNKyDeth

Send a message via AIM to MNKyDeth
Default Re: Linux Noobie Alert

Well, I would try disabling acpi and such at bootup. Not sure if that would help though. I have heard knoppix to be very picky on some systems and as an alternative maybe try Mepis. It's like Knoppix where it is based off of debian I believe but may work better for your desktop comp.

Other than that I am not sure about what is causing the black screen, it might just be a simple setting like the acpi when you boot that needs to be enabled or disabled.
MNKyDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 11:54 AM   #3
yodaofborg

Thumbs up Re: Linux Noobie Alert

Aint got a clue, it works on 6 of 8 on my network, one it fails on detecting the cd during knoppix startup, even though it boots from it! the other was a laptop, and the screen did not detect, after i reread your post, i changed this bit...lol, was my initial thought....lol)

But this is for a knoppix forum, and not the nvidia one(it depends on if your willing to rebuild knoppix to add the drivers, recompile, and all the other stuff a linux noob has yet to learn...lol, im not 100% if its possible at all, i may try, just for the laff...lol)....lol

What is it your looking to do on your PC?

LinuxConsole is also a very good alternative to knoppix, and if its OpenGL/Games/Multimedia stuff you are inerested in running i would strongly suggest you try this, as i have found it to be a excelent cd bootable linux distro....... it is *module* based too, meaning you can add/remove available applications, and has a deveopment module for adding and compiling your own, it supports loads of hardware (including the accelerated nvidia driver), and is still VERY muchly activley developed, unlike some of the other cddistro's

IF YOU WANNA PLAY GAMES< GET LINUx console infact, its had so many applications added over this past year its nearly as complete as a real install, and nearly as fast too....

Hmmmm, assimilated you will be! futile is resistance!

Last edited by yodaofborg; 04-27-04 at 12:09 PM.
yodaofborg is offline   Reply With Quote