Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-04, 01:00 AM   #1
alucard_x

Default to the 5800 ultra users: fan coming on while in 2-D

i've noticed as the drivers serious progress the fan kicks up to 3-D mode when its not supposed to. most notably playing a movie, moving a movie window around, scrolling in IE, scrolling in explorer. It's completely random mind you and doesn't happen everytime i do one of those things. But at least a few times a day. Does anyone know a good version of drivers to use that minimize this effect?
alucard_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 02:23 AM   #2
Face Stabber
Come on, A/S/L?

Default Re: to the 5800 ultra users: fan coming on while in 2-D

As far as I know, it just comes on to cool the card down.
Face Stabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 07:26 AM   #3
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x
i've noticed as the drivers serious progress the fan kicks up to 3-D mode when its not supposed to. most notably playing a movie, moving a movie window around, scrolling in IE, scrolling in explorer. It's completely random mind you and doesn't happen everytime i do one of those things. But at least a few times a day. Does anyone know a good version of drivers to use that minimize this effect?
Are you OCing the 2d mode?
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 07:34 AM   #4
MontoyaSG

the fan comes in when the GPU is above a certain temp
over @ my area it's warm & the fan juz kicks in within 1/2 an hr

and also running video overlays also makes the GPU fan run up
MontoyaSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 10:28 AM   #5
alucard_x

i know for a fact that it has nothing to do with GPU temperature. in addition to the fact that i have my 2-D mode underclocked because of heat concerns when its hot out, my temperature on the GPU in 2-D mode is always under 55c. and most of the time in the high 40's.
Old 05-04-04, 05:21 PM   #6
quik_2_win

All of the drivers that I've used for the 5800 will occasionally run the cooling fan in 2D mode. These include v43.45, 43.51, 44.03, 45.23, 52.16, 53.03, and 56.72 that I have tested personally on this card. And I agree- it's not always temperature related as with the latest driver (56.72) the fan will spin-up briefly after the monitor resumes from a 'power-down' state after being left idle for a long period. Also does run when playing certain .MPEG files, but not all (?). Does NOT run playing DVDs thankfully...
To sum it up, I have found that every driver released for this card exhibits this behavior, although there are subtle differences. I can't recall which driver actually 'minimized' this effect, but I believe the fan is run for a reason, so it's best tolerated not avoided. In fact, certain high-bandwidth .MPEG files will actually 'crash' the TV-out when the fan fails to start. I have repeated this many times with several different drivers. It is somewhat annoying only because the fan itself is somewhat annoying, but we all knew that when we purchased the card, right?
quik_2_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 06:01 PM   #7
alucard_x

i agree with quik_2_win, i noticed the same issues you talked about aside from the one i mentioned. for some reason i seem to believe this issue has gotten worse as drivers progressed..