Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-04, 07:40 PM   #1
rhardy2

Unhappy NVidia 5xxx cards w/ Viewsonic VX2000 on DVI

My problem, like other users who have posted similar (but poorly documented) unresolved threads on this forum, is my Viewsonic VX2000 refuses to behave when connected via DVI to any NVidia FX5xxx video card. I have tested the monitor with at least 8 FX5200 and FX5600 cards from several different companies including MSI, Asus and Gainward.

Exact problem:The video card is unable to properly communicate with the VX2000 monitor when hooked up via the DVI connector (from the forums it seems all Viewsonic VX series monitors have this issue.) When the monitor is connected that way it displays "Out Of Range Horizontal Frequency: 74.3, Veritical Frequency: 59.0 Hz". That message will continue until I login from remote and start X with a config with forces DFP usage.

Known working system: The problem goes away if I substitute another DVI based LCD monitor such as a Samsung 191T or if I substitute the video card with an NVidia based 4xxx series card (neither are options for me.)

My configuration:
- your video card: MSI FX5200-TD128 (at the moment)
- your driver version: 5341, also tried 5336
- your distribution: Fedora Core 2 Test 3, was Fedora Core 1 yesterday.
- your video bios revision: Model: GeForce FX 5200, IRQ:16, Video BIOS: 04.34.20.22.00, Card Type: AGP
- your processor: P4 2.4GHz HT enabled
- your motherboard model: Abit IC7G (Intel 875P Chipset)

Known WINDOZE XP workaround: After many calls to Viewsonic I was able to get through to a sane engineer. He was able to reproduce the problem and found a workaround in Windows. That workaround was to change the timing from "Auto" to "DMT" (Discrete Monitor Timing) and to enable Horizontal Cloning. After that was done the card seemed to remember those settings and I could leave it on the DVI connector and actually be able to see my text consoles and POST screens etc...

I cannot figure out how to force DMT in Linux. Can you please tell me how to force Discrete Monitor Timings in Linux?

As a last ditch hack, I tried swapping the card to a windows box to set the option and quickly putting it back in the Linux box. It works for a bit then the Linux drivers resets whatever the Windows driver set and we are back to the same game all over again. I will be glad to post any additional information required and/or do additional testing. Please find attached my xorg.conf and X.0.log with logverbosity 5 as per the forum instructions.

Regards,
Robert Hardy
C.E.O. Webcon, Inc.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg_0_log.txt (38.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: txt xorg_conf.txt (8.3 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by rhardy2; 04-26-04 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added Attachments: my config file and logs
rhardy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 02:25 AM   #2
Evil Penguin

Default Re: NVidia 5xxx cards w/ Viewsonic VX2000 on DVI

I have a Gainward FX5900 and a VX2000 monitor connected to the DVI port... Works great for me...

As displayed by the monitor: Horiz Freq: 75.0 kHz, Vert Freq: 60 Hz

Edit: added XF86Config-4 attachment...
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config-4_nvidia.txt (3.4 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Evil Penguin; 05-11-04 at 03:19 AM.
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-04, 02:55 PM   #3
rhardy2

Angry Re: NVidia 5xxx cards w/ Viewsonic VX2000 on DVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin
I have a Gainward FX5900 and a VX2000 monitor connected to the DVI port... Works great for me...
As displayed by the monitor: Horiz Freq: 75.0 kHz, Vert Freq: 60 Hz
I'm glad your VX2000 works with your 59xx series card (I still haven't been able to test that configuration.) Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that an incompatibility exists between VX2000 series monitors and NVidia 52xx and 56xx video cards when connected via DVI.

Viewsonic refuses to acknowledge this as a bug because they have found a hack using Windoze drivers which works around the problem and they "Don't support Linux".

That, of course, is a complete load of since the incompatiblity exists at POST time, which should have nothing to do with OS level support. Obviously, the Windoze drivers are doing something to the card which survives reboot. Unfortunately, after the card has been "fixed" under Windoze, the first time X is loaded under Linux, the Linux NVidia drivers seem to reset the card so it will again exhibit the problem on POST. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to replicate the Windoze hack under Linux.

It has been many months and Nvidia can't even be bothered to respond to this post or my emails to their bugs address.

I've tried many different configurations, many different driver revisions and patches and even many different X distributions. All those attempts didn't bring me any closer to solving this problem.

I've got 15 years of experience in IT consulting, I'm an open source developer, I'm a systems engineer and the C.E.O. of an IT consulting company. If Viewsonic and NVidia support can't help me figure out why their products don't work, I don't hold much hope for Joe Average. I must admit this has seriously soured my opinion of NVidia. Spending an obscene amount of $$ on a FX5900 for a simple workstation to fix a support issue isn't exactly good.

This is really unfortunate. Other than this issue my Viewsonic's VX2000 is a great workstation monitor. Given their total lack of support I'll never buy another Viewsonic product.

The only functional way to get the products to work together was to give up on using the DVI connector and hookup the monitor via its analog connector thereby defeating the whole reason I bought a highend 1600x1200 CDN$2xxx DVI based panel in the first place.

I'm going to make one last attempt to see if I can find a loaner NVidia 57xx series card or I might give up on NVidia and see if ATI's DVI implementations work properly.

Last edited by rhardy2; 08-02-04 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Clarification, fix typos
Old 08-03-04, 04:06 PM   #4
rhardy2

Default Re: NVidia 5xxx cards w/ Viewsonic VX2000 on DVI

I went out and purchased yet another video card, an MSI FX5700LE. Fortunately, this graphics card now works properly out of the box.