Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-04, 04:19 AM   #1
zaffle

Question Dual Head + 3d acceleration

Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, if so, please point me to the right place.

I'm currently running an nvidia graphics card with a cheap pci as 2nd monitor and it works well, however...
I would like to get a dual head nvidia card and use that instead.
My question comes about because I noticed that a number of programs crash when I have the 2nd card active (I believe its because the card doesn't support 3d and the program is trying to display to it).

if I get a modern nvidia card with dual video outputs, will
a) I get 3d acceleration on both outputs?
b) 3d only on the 1st monitor, but 2d on the 2nd monitor?
c) Not at all if I use both outputs?

If this depends on what card I get, then can you point out to me what to look for to get 3d acceleration on both outputs? (aside from the obvious; its got two vga/dvi outputs).

This may seem like a silly or obvious question, but I'm not very active in the 3d realm these days, but I do like starting up armyops or just running opengl screensavers that will (hopefully) display on both monitors.

Thanks,
Nick
zaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-04, 04:58 AM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Dual Head + 3d acceleration

if i'm not mistaken, you can have both heads work equally as far as their capability of displaying opengl apps etc. unfortunately, i do think that only one display can be used at a time with opengl unless special coding is put in to place... so the same opengl application devided into 2 screens might not happen; but it might.

i'm really not sure beyond that, as all of my dual monitor experience has been with 2 video cards (i hate using dual head/twinview).

sorry for the lack of details, i've only used twinview once or twice in my life, and really didn't like it during that time.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 03:42 PM   #3
ricercar
fugue master

Default Re: Dual Head + 3d acceleration

There's nothing in NVIDIA hardware that prevents 3D with both heads in nView. Unfortunately I have dismal experience with Linux and OpenGL, so I cannot address driver issues.