Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-04, 03:36 PM   #25
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: half life looks soo terrible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd
Half-Life 2 is going to be as Crappy as Half-life one, I don't understand some of you people and your obsession with half-life, Sure the story Line is alright, The gameplay stinks and the graphics only look good if u compare them to Id classics/raven classics. Like anygame other game with Opengl/D3D supports looks better than it. My friend said that Halflife1 and 2 have better graphics then Ut2004. Like common man, Thats just Bull. Can't believe i wasted $9.99CND to buy it.
Wow....just wow. You're giving your opinion on a 5 year old game, and the first thing you mention is how bad the graphics are? What in the hell do you expect, it's based on the Quake 1 engine for god's sake. Seriously, why the hell didn't you actually play it when it was released rather than waiting several years and expecting it to still somehow be the best in everything? HL1 was amazing for it's day, so of course many FPS games "borrowed" a number of elements for it, so what was once revolutionary became standard. Without HL many modern day FPS games would be DRASTICALLY different, it's like going back to Doom and saying "Ya know that game was actually really crappy, it was just a generic run-and-gun shooter with bad looking 2d monsters and simplistic gameplay".

Not to mention it's obvious you haven't played any of the excellent mods for the game such as Natural Selection.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 05:57 PM   #26
Heavyd

Send a message via ICQ to Heavyd

hey im comparing it to 5+ year old games such as quake 2, quake 3, Unreal etc.. I don't get the obsession with the game, what makes it so good. People say the story line is good, What about it, Your a scientist at the Black Mesa Research Facility, involved in some experiments. These experiments go screwy, and foul creatures begin taking over the complex. Hows is that better than being stranded on a planet and trying to get off alive. Like common man! Im not trying to be an anti-halflife person but you guys give it too much credit.
Heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 06:15 PM   #27
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

Quote:
hey im comparing it to 5+ year old games such as quake 2, quake 3, Unreal etc.. I don't get the obsession with the game, what makes it so good. People say the story line is good, What about it, Your a scientist at the Black Mesa Research Facility, involved in some experiments. These experiments go screwy, and foul creatures begin taking over the complex. Hows is that better than being stranded on a planet and trying to get off alive. Like common man! Im not trying to be an anti-halflife person but you guys give it too much credit.
Well it made game of the year in just about every pc gaming magazine, the year it came out for some reason.
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 09:11 PM   #28
Heavyd

Send a message via ICQ to Heavyd

Yeah I realized that, but still games such as Deus Ex, Unreal, Quake 2, Kingpin deserve better awards then half-life recieved
Heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 09:31 PM   #29
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

Quote:
Yeah I realized that, but still games such as Deus Ex, Unreal, Quake 2, Kingpin deserve better awards then half-life recieved
To each - their own, I guess.
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 09:46 PM   #30
NightFire
Bu Zi You, Wo Ning Si

Send a message via MSN to NightFire

Um...
HL2 is on the Quake 2 engine, not the 1.
Just noticed a slight error in one of the posts!

SteelSoft Incorporated
Specs: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @2.5GHz/512 MB PC2700 RAM/80 GB Western Digital Caviar/15 GB Maxtor/Diamond Viper X1950XT 256MB/Dell 1907FP 19" LCD Monitor/ASRock 939Dual SATA-2/1.44 MB Floppy/40x-12x-48x CD-RW/8x DVD-ROM
NightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 10:34 PM   #31
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

No, Half-Life is a heavily modified Quake 1 engine, not Q2 like most people initially thought.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 04:07 AM   #32
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yup, they added so many features to the Quake 1 engine that people assumed it was the Quake 2 engine, when in fact the game was in development long before Quake 2 was availible and they stuck with their original engine (you know, kinda the opposite of what Duke Nukem Forever did ). The game might've been even MORE advanced had they based it off the Quake 2 engine, but since the game was originally going to ship in late-1997 there's no way they could've moved over to the Quake 2 engine that quick.

But speaking of errors in posts, are you sure HL2 is running off the Quake 2 engine

Old 05-04-04, 10:28 AM   #33
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Still looks good to me. Not to mention it's impressive that this will actually run on a 700mhz computer with a Voodoo 3 (obviously it won't look as good, but at least it's very scaleable). Then again, I'm just going by memory since now that page only displays a "Error: News konnte nicht gefunden werden!"
Hmm.....My Voodoo 3 3500 might like this. It actually hasn't been used since 1999....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Yup, they added so many features to the Quake 1 engine that people assumed it was the Quake 2 engine, when in fact the game was in development long before Quake 2 was availible and they stuck with their original engine (you know, kinda the opposite of what Duke Nukem Forever did ). The game might've been even MORE advanced had they based it off the Quake 2 engine, but since the game was originally going to ship in late-1997 there's no way they could've moved over to the Quake 2 engine that quick.

But speaking of errors in posts, are you sure HL2 is running off the Quake 2 engine
I thought it was a totally new engine, to be away from liscening with iD engine..
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 02:11 PM   #34
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yeah, the Half-life 2 engine is total new (called Source, btw), though the basic rendering functions do seem very similar to ID's games. I just made that comment about HL2 running on the "Quake 2" engine becuase of the typo by Nightfire (ironically after he pointed out an "error" in someone's post ).