Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-04, 08:18 AM   #1
weaverdh

Default Nvidia command line parameters?

Sorry for posting on this, i have used the search feature but either i didn't hit on the right keywords or i overlooked things.

I have been trying for some time to install the NVIDIA 5336 drivers but have had a lot of difficulty understanding what to type and how things work, i am a newcomer to Linux and am currently using White Box on a generic PC with a GeForce 4Ti card.

My biggest problem is that i have to specify where my kernal source is, i now have this installed and know its location but unfortunately i do not know how to tell the installation programe this. At the end of my failed installation attempt i get told to specify the --kernal-source-path parameter.....fine, but how?

At the moment i am typing (with root permission);

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --kernal-source-path=/lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL

and also;

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL

This just returns the message 'invalid commandline', can anyone tell me how to use this --kernal-source-path parameter please? I have tried variations on this parameter, missing out the --kernal-source-path section, trying different layouts, but i'm guessing. I cannot find any reference to its exact usage anywhere. Many thanks in hope.
weaverdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 08:35 AM   #2
hppnq

Default Re: Nvidia command line parameters?

It's "kernel" with an e, not "kernal" with an a. ;-)

This should at least get rid of the commandline error.
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 08:56 AM   #3
weaverdh

Oooops.

Thank you, that did get rid of the command line error, i was thinking of peanuts and not Linux obviously. I still have the problem with specifying the path to my kernel source however, the installation routine starts and tells me that the path i am typing in does not contain the kernel source and points out that i should be looking for a file in the format of 'kernel.h'

Is there a standard file i can search for so that i can just type the path into for this programe? Meaning, in Linux is every kernel file the same name or does it vary from one distribution to another? Using White Box Linux i am guessing there may be a specific file to search for, but again i am guessing. I'm now trying to track down what exactly is my kernel file path, but the directories that i am searching (/lib/modules/) seem to branch off in 30 or so directions.
weaverdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 03:27 PM   #4
hppnq

The kernel-source path argument should either probably be something like

/usr/src/linux-<version>

or

/lib/modules/<version>/build

where <version> is your kernel version (which you can see with the command ' uname -r ').

Are you sure you have the kernel sources installed, by the way?
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote