Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-04, 11:58 AM   #1
djoole

Question [Twinview] How to force a window to open in the first screen?

Hi,
I succesfully modified my XF86Config-4 for twinview usage.
My first (computer) screen is in 1280x1024, my second (TV) screen (RightOf first screen) is in 1024x768. Virtual screen is obviously in 2304x1024.

See my XF86Config-4 device section :
Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"
Option "TwinView"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30.0-50.0"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60.0"
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1024x768"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-N"
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
Option "NoLogo" "1"
Option "CursorShadow" "1"
#Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
EndSection

Problem is, for instance, when i open a mail from the main Evolution window (which is placed in the first screen), it pops up in the second screen.
And it's the same for a lot of windows.

I couldn't find any nvidia Option to manage that, so does anyone have an idea?

Also, a bonus question : is it possible to set the full-screen video colors, brightness, contrast and softness filter, like in wondows?
Cause colors on the TV are not so great, i would like to put some heat in there.
djoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 12:27 PM   #2
tjw

Default Re: [Twinview] How to force a window to open in the first screen?

I'm assuming you're using the default GNOME window manager (called metacity). AFAIK, this window manager doesn't support any "Xinerama emulation". Instead, it will see your 2304x1024 resolution as a single logical screen and use the same placement procedures it would if you were using a single monitor.

The only window manager that I'm aware of that does support Xinerama emulation for TwinView configurations is fvwm. It supports the configuration directives:

XineramaSls
XineramaSlsSize

These can be used to tell fvwm that even though you do have one giant, logical screen, it should use its built-in Xinerama support on imaginary boundaries, just like if you were actually using Xinerama on two seperate screens. fvwm also has some advanced options for governing window placement if you feel like taking the time to learn/configure it to do what you want.
tjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 12:39 PM   #3
djoole

Erg, does it mean i'd have to change Gnome for another window manager?? I currently use Gnome version packaged with MDK10.
I'm a newbie to Linux, and i don't feel brave enough to change all the laout. Moreover, i installed some stuff that need Gnome.

Isn't there any way to force the display of my windows in the 1280x1024 area of my virtual screen? It seems that for some windows it does, and for some other ones, it put them in the center of the TV screen...

Come on, i'm sure there is another solution, isn't there?
Old 04-30-04, 12:44 PM   #4
djoole

Moreover, i think Gnome is somehow aware of my screen configuration, cause once a window is in the second screen, if i maximise it, it will fill the second screen correctly, not the entire logical screen.
So isn't there any hope for Gnome to understand that i want my windows pop-ups in the first screen?
Old 04-30-04, 01:46 PM   #5
tjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoole
Moreover, i think Gnome is somehow aware of my screen configuration, cause once a window is in the second screen, if i maximise it, it will fill the second screen correctly, not the entire logical screen.
That's interesting. After some digging, I've found that the newer NVIDIA drivers exports Xinerama information about TwinView configurations all by itself. I had not noticed since I still had Xinerama enabled in my xorg.conf file which disables the TwinView Xinerama info.

So your problem boils down to lack of window placement options in metacity. I'm guessing the only reason that your new window is being placed on the second monitor is that there is not enough room for it on the first screen, so the second screen is a better place for it according to metacity's placement algorithm. One simple, yet non-elegant workaround is to open up some window on the second monitor, then maximize it and leave it there. After doing that, windows should be placed in the next best location, which should be on your first monitor.

Just to clarify, swithing your window manager does not mean getting rid of GNOME. metacity just happens to be the window manager that is used by gnome-session by default. That's not to say switching is easy though
tjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 02:30 PM   #6
djoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw
One simple, yet non-elegant workaround is to open up some window on the second monitor, then maximize it and leave it there. After doing that, windows should be placed in the next best location, which should be on your first monitor.
OK, indeed i came to that solution earlier in the afternoon. I put a text file on my desktop that i open and maximize in the second screen.
Bingo, all other windows open in the first screen.

But is there any way to program metacity so that it opens new windows only in a defined area?
I'll try to find some info about that, but if anyon here can help, please feel free to do so.

Thx tjw
Old 12-25-04, 03:06 AM   #7
kb7oeb

I belive gnome tries to put the inital window on screen0. I am not sure how that works with twinview though.
kb7oeb is offline   Reply With Quote