Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-28-04, 10:59 PM   #1
BigFish

Default TwinView in Fedora not working --- PLEASE HELP!

I'm running Fedora 1.91 and I have an Quadro FX2000. The system i'm running is a Dual 2.8 gig Xeon with 2 gig of ram. I've tried MANY configurations of my XF86Config file to get my second monitor working, to no avail. Could someone PLEASE assist me in getting this problem squared away and my second monitor working. Here is my current XF86Config file:

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "ViewSonic A90f+"
DisplaySize 360 270
HorizSync 30.0 - 86.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA Quadro FX (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

If anyone could make the corrections to get this sucker working i'd really appreciate it.

-BigFish
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 04:40 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Arrow Re: TwinView in Fedora not working --- PLEASE HELP!

You apparently are still running XFree86-4.3 rather than upgrading to xorg-x11 for your X server... first I would suggest you do this upgrade, more information about it can be found on the fedora test mailing list.

Your current config has only one monitor and device configured, this is a single monitor setup all the way. To get started you should use the config tool, system-config-display, which has the ability to configure dual head setups. If you don't have it installed, get it! (from Fedora rawhide)

I have attached a sample of a dual head setup created by this tool. The config will show you the basic building blocks behind a dual setup.... but I have not used it, so it is nothing more than an example (I have only one monitor atm).

And finally, you are using the "nv" driver, which is capable of doing nothing more than 2D, and displaying software rendered 3D. If you wish to use 3D acceleration you'll need nVIDIA's driver which you can download from www.nvidia.com, or get RPMs from links in my sig (I suggest the latter... the reason they are in there).

btw, what I've described here is 'dual head' operation rather than 'TwinView'... the latter of which you should install nVIDIA's driver for, and then review their latest readme (Appendix I) here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.7 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by LordMorgul; 04-29-04 at 04:50 AM. Reason: forgot the config file!
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-04, 08:38 AM   #3
BigFish

Default Re: TwinView in Fedora not working --- PLEASE HELP!

Could you give me a little more info on getting Xorg and getting it installed. I have the 5336 drivers apparently but not configured correctly. I'm an animator and not a linux-guru so I'm a little lax on my abilities to set this up. Its quite different then setting up RH 7.3 which was a breeze. Any help would be appreciated and its apparent that your in-the-know on these subjects. I've just really got to figure out how to get my second monitor up for the development that i'm doing. Thanks so much!

-BF
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-04, 09:16 AM   #4
Thunderbird

XFree86 4.3 is good enough for most people. What you want is twinview, what LordMorgul is more talking about is likely Xinerama. Redhat would never support setting up Twinview.

To get twinview working you basicly need to do the following:
add the following lines to the screen or device section of your config file (it doesn't matter in which of the two you put them):
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "a-b" (a-b needs to be vertical sync range)
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "c-d" (c-d needs to be the horizontal sync range)
Option "Twinview" "1"
Option "TwinviewOrientation" "RightOf" (default is RightOf, other values are Clone, LeftOf, Above ..)
Option "Metamodes" "1024x768, 1024x768" (describes what resolution to use on screen1 and screen2)
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, CRT" (depends on what displays you have, the first one is the primary display)

These lines should get twinview working. For more info about the options check the Readme file of the drivers.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-04, 08:26 PM   #5
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
XFree86 4.3 is good enough for most people. What you want is twinview, what LordMorgul is more talking about is likely Xinerama. Redhat would never support setting up Twinview.
Yes, that is what I meant.. although I was forgetting the term "xinerama". To use TwinView you do need to install the nVIDIA driver... so not using what is supplied by Fedora.

BigFish:
First, be aware that as a user, and not a linux tester, you should not update your Fedora 1.91 into the 1.92 range or newer (specifically do not update the kernel) until FC2 is released. That will break many things you do not want to deal with.

Install the kernel-source and the nvidia driver (downloaded from the nvidia driver archive at nvidia.com). Then follow the instructions for installing it found in the README they have posted where you download the driver.

Skip the Xorg installation, unless you will be updating your system before FC2 is released. (contrary to my suggestion - linux is about choice afterall)