Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-04, 07:08 PM   #1
The Punisher
nVidia GeForceFX 5900U

Default Network too damn slow with WinXP Pro. Need help!!!

Are there any special settings in WinXP Pro SP1 that can speed up its network browsing? Whenever I browse my workgroup I've to wait about 30 seconds just for the list of PCs to a appear. Then when it does, I've to wait another 20 seconds or so when I click on one of the PCs to show its shared folders! I never had to wait this long to browse my workgroup with Win98SE so I was wondering if there was any special network settings or registry entries or services etc that need to be adjusted to make browsing faster. The PCs typically running in my workgroup are P4s with MSI mobos with at least 256MB RAM. All PCs are using D-Link network cards with proper D-Link drivers installed instead of the default Realtek driver that WinXP uses. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-21-04, 02:12 PM   #2
RichDM

Default Re: Network too damn slow with WinXP Pro. Need help!!!

This could be due to network collisions. You do not say whether you are running these cards at 100Mbs or 10Mbs, and whether you are using a hub or a switch, and what speed this is intended to run at.

Have a look a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 315237, that may be useful.

You could try running the network cards at 10Mbs throughout your LAN. Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adapters > right click on your card > Properties > Advanced... and see if you can set a different network speed in the property panel.
RichDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 02:30 PM   #3
Clay

There used to be a scheduled tasks bug that could cause performance issues. Check these links out (DISCLAIMER: edit your Registry at your own risk, backup your Registry before making any manual changes).

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak153.aspx
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak739.aspx
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 03:25 PM   #4
serialdave
seldom posts

Shut down and disable the WebClient service.
Old 05-23-04, 08:16 AM   #5
The Punisher
nVidia GeForceFX 5900U

Finally some answers that i haven't heard of. Thanx for the help, keep on posting suggestions & i'll give these a go.
Old 05-26-04, 09:12 AM   #6
Greg

Let us know how you go ThePunisher. I think I have the same problem, now on both computers. Almost exactly 30sec pause while exploring files for the first time or the first time in a while. I can open a second instance of windows explorer and get through immediately though. I can see one of the svchost processes taking lots of cpu time doing nothing. I am running two computers nforce2 and realtek through a switch.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 08:06 AM   #7
serialdave
seldom posts

Have you ried anything mentioned here Greg?
Old 05-30-04, 01:27 AM   #8
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialdave
Have you ried anything mentioned here Greg?
I have tried everthing mentioned in this thread. Disabling WebClient appears to have eliminated the 30sec pause completely. What exactly have I lost by removing that service? (I do occasionally do things like upload files to via web pages etc. which the service description appears to relate to.)
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-04, 01:48 AM   #9
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

sambaaaaaa

lol, i am pretty sure samba has a windows version. samba is a file/folder sharing program that emulates how microsoft's crappy browser works. it actually does it so well that it out-performs windows file browsing by as much as 10 times. sometimes i even forget that i'm on a remote computer when using samba because the change between folders is *that* fast.

anyway, i am pretty sure they have a windows version.. may be worth checking out.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 05:05 PM   #10
The Punisher
nVidia GeForceFX 5900U

Did some modding to the settings & now I'm wondering what the hell went wrong?!! Now the PC list jumps out okay, but it'll ask me for a password when I click on any of them. All PCs are logged in using the default Administrator account "without" a password. Tried to undo the changes but to no avail! Please help me!!! =(... To answer RichDM's question I'm running on a 100Mbps 3Com switch with D-link DFE530TX cards.
Old 05-30-04, 06:56 PM   #11
serialdave
seldom posts

With Xp Pro if you uncheck use simple file sharing that can happen. If you are on a Domain and can set domain permisions then simple file sharing security is not any good. But at home you will want simple file sharing enabled.

Open Explorer -> tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Advanced Settings

Scroll to the end of the list and check use simple.........
Old 05-30-04, 07:20 PM   #12
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

hmm, i was wrong apparently. i checked samba's site and found no windows binaries. sorry about that.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote