Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-04, 11:28 PM   #1
khalid357

Default Nvidia installer under suse linux 9,0

first i am a complete newbie trying to dump windows for linux. so far i like it athough i am having the damnedest time with some parts. the nvidia installer is telling me that i have a version installed aready and asks if i want to install the new 5336 version. WHICH OF COURSE I WANT TO DO. however it tells me that it needs to build a kernel and asks if i should do that, and i answer yes, but then it tells me that i cannot log onto the internet to get some file that it needs. after a week it is driving me a little batty. first of all i have no idea how to log into the internet without the kde desktop and the desktop is history when i type INIT 3. its telling me to install the rpm? i am at a loss. i am doing everything word for word with the instructions which i printed out to make sure I do it right. can anyone help. email me if u think it is appropriate. I dont know how to get to the log files so i did not include one. i am a really new to linux person please help if at all possible.
thank u in advance
khalid357
khalid357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 05:29 AM   #2
andyrock

Default Re: Nvidia installer under suse linux 9,0

I think that you don't have the kernel sources installed!

before installing nVidia driver, go to YAST, search for kernel and install kernel source.
after this, use YOU (Yast Online Update) to update you system..
Maybe you should reboot now, to start using the new kernel.

Start nvidia installer the way you did before - It will work this time.

When it's over, run sax2 -m 0=nvidia

Then type init 5 to return to kde desktop

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 06:02 PM   #3
khalid357

thank you andyrock i am going to try that and see if i can get it right, if so will post results.
khalid357
Old 05-03-04, 08:39 PM   #4
khalid357

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrock
I think that you don't have the kernel sources installed!

before installing nVidia driver, go to YAST, search for kernel and install kernel source.
after this, use YOU (Yast Online Update) to update you system..
Maybe you should reboot now, to start using the new kernel.

Start nvidia installer the way you did before - It will work this time.

When it's over, run sax2 -m 0=nvidia

Then type init 5 to return to kde desktop

andyrock i have no idea which one is the kernel source could you walk me through in simpler terms. sorry to be a bother but I have no idea how to install kernals or rpms. and i downloaded an rpm from nvidia but i have no idea how to install it.
please assist
thanks in advance
khalid357
Old 05-04-04, 03:10 AM   #5
gazza

I actually installed Suse9.0 and the 5336 driver on my Athlon64, Suse9.1 not available yet in Belgium.

Run yast2, select Install and Remove Software.

Another window will open.

On the left of the window will be a label called Filter and a drop down combo box. Select selections in the combo box.

The list window will be updated. This will consist of a tick-box and a description of the selection.

Near the botton will be one called kernel development. If it is not ticked select it. If it is blank it will turn into a tick sign. Press check check dependencies at the botton of the window. Yast will do a quick check to make sure that what you are going to install may not interfere with anything else. It shouldn't do. If you get a message box stating All package dependencies are OK, press the accept button to start an install of these RPM's depending on the speed of your HDD and DVD/CD drive this could be very quick or very slow.

After that has been done, the best thing to do is completely reboot the system, just a habit I have got into.

You are now ready to install the NVidia graphics driver.

After booting and logging in as root. Open a terminal window. I use xterm, but if you are using KDE, just use the kshell tool.

Type the command init -3 to turn X off and return to a frame buffer. Enter the directory that you have the nvidia driver. Execute the command sh Nvidia*****.run, this will unpack and start the driver. The driver code will check to see if it contains a kernel driver for your kernel, it won't, it will then try and connect to the internet. It will fail as you don't have an internet connection. Next it will search for your kernel source, which will be installed in /usr/src/linux Actually linux is just a symbolic link to the currently installed kernel, but you don't need to worry about that. The driver will then compile a kernel module and install itself. After that, you need to run sax2. I cannot quite remember the command you have to run, but it is included in Suse's website. This will automatically update the xfree86 config file with the correct settings, so you can actually use the NVidia driver.

Next type startx to restart the X server. If the driver installed correctly, you will catch a glimpse of the NVidia splash screen as the driver starts up. It will look no different to X normally. The only way of testing is to run a test. Open up another terminal and type glxgears. This will open a window and run an opengl test program. If the termial you started the command from, you will see some output every 5 seconds stating how many frames were generated in 5 seconds, and therefore the frames/per second. If you have a GeForce 5900XT or above, expect to get around 6000fps+.

Hope this helps.
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 11:02 PM   #6
khalid357

gazza i dont see anything that says kernel developement. could it be that i dont know what i am seeing. how do i know what the kernel source is. i dont know if i have it or if it is not installed. i went to online update and it updated the kernel but i dont know if it is the source. i need more help.

thanks for your patience
khalid357
Old 05-05-04, 01:19 AM   #7
SuLinUX

Do
Code:
rpm -q kernel-source
and see if your kernel source is installed or look in /usr/src and see if a Linux directory is in there. If not then look for the kernel source package at the SuSE ftp site, package will be named kernel-source-kernelversion.i586.rpm

Look HERE

Look in kde Control Center for kernel version or YaST, type 'kernel' in the search.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 02:42 AM   #8
gazza

Just realised. Do you have the pro version of personal version of Suse9.0?

If you have the Pro version, you will have all the development tools as standard and the kernel source as standard. If you havet he personal version, you will only have applications, no source code and no development tools.
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote