Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-04, 11:07 PM   #1
YeLoW

Default nvidia.ko not found, even with module-init-tools installed!

Hi everyone:

I'm running Debian Woody unstable, using custom built SMP kernel 2.6.5

When I try installing the latest Nvidia linux drivers, I get the:

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely
because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source
files. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files
for your kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you
have the 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct
kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source
path with the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.

This is after I've did an apt-get install module-init-tools (which was installed properly) and I've used the --kernel-source-path option. This is the command I issued:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-2.6.5

No luck, any ideas? Could it be a bug with the installer and the 2.6.5 kernel or am I missing something there? I'm using a SMP kernel (Dual PIII w/ Geforce MX), would that affect anything?

Thanks!
YeLoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 01:42 AM   #2
hppnq

Default Re: nvidia.ko not found, even with module-init-tools installed!

It's probably not a bug in the installer.

Did the installer script indicate any errors when you ran it? Is your running kernel the same as the one you used to compile the driver?

You could try a 'depmod -a' followed by another 'modprobe nvidia'. Also, check that your nvidia module is in the correct /lib/modules directory.

(As a side note: be sure to turn off the 4K stack option when configuring your kernel, unfortunately the Nvidia driver will not work if this is in effect. You can find lots of threads about that particular problem on this forum.)
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 05:36 PM   #3
YeLoW

Hmm, this is what I found doing the above instructions:

debian:~# depmod -a
debian:~# modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Module nvidia not found.

As a side note, I tried running the installer via an SSH terminal (I've had no problems with this before), when I switched back to my linux box (attached to a KVM switch), I noticed these lines on the screen:

nvidia:version magic '2.6.5 SMP prempt PENTIUM III gcc-3.3 should be '2.6.5.050504 SMP preempt PENTIUM III gcc-3.3'

What does that mean? Do I need to recompile my kernel to have the nvidia
module?

I'm new at this linux thing, so I apologize for my ignorance! Many thanks!
Old 05-05-04, 06:13 PM   #4
YeLoW

More info, I followed these steps from another thread:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --extract-only
make install

Program started compiling, then I get this error:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.5.050504/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

When I do depmod -a and then modprobe nvidia, same thing. The nvidia.ko file is in /lib/modues/2.6.5.050504

Dunno what is wrong. My /usr/src/linux directory is linked to my kernel-source-2.6.5 directory. I'm confused, the different numbers, is that what is screwing things up?
Old 05-05-04, 08:03 PM   #5
Papol

Not sure if this'll be of help, since I'm not versed in that distro, but most distro's I've used require (in order for modprobe, be it modutils, or module-init-tools) for a certain symbol to be pointing to the kernel that was built from source (or at least that you have source for):

The symbol is, in your case:

"/lib/modules/2.6.5.050504/build", which has to point to (in your case), /usr/src/linux-2.6.5.050504.

To make this right, do something like this:

$ rm /lib/modules/2.6.5.050504/build
$ ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.5.050504 /lib/modules/2.6.5.050504/build

Now the hard part: This will only (possibly, I hope) get modprobe to look in the right place, but I can't (or didn't look hard enough) tell from what you've done whether you've actually compiled the kernel source yourself, thus populating /lib/modules/2.6.5.050504 with the modules actually produced by this compilation of yours.

If you built your own kernel from that source, then you should just run ./5336.run (whatever it's called) with no options, allowing it to build using the ./build symbolic you just created (which also should equate to what you see from a 'uname -r' cmd) and try a modprobe as soon as it's done.

Looking back at what I've written, I can see it'll be a miracle if it works, but maybe is worth a shot

The main flaw with this is that /lib/modules/{uname -r}/build would be correct already if you'd built your own kernel, so I suggest your make your own, enabling the 8k stacks if you want it to work. The $make modules_install part of the kernel build populates /lib/modules/{uname -r} with that link & with all the selected modules you built. After that, nvidia install should be trivial compared to what you've gotten thus far.

GL

Papol

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeLoW
More info, I followed these steps from another thread:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --extract-only
make install

Program started compiling, then I get this error:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.5.050504/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

When I do depmod -a and then modprobe nvidia, same thing. The nvidia.ko file is in /lib/modues/2.6.5.050504

Dunno what is wrong. My /usr/src/linux directory is linked to my kernel-source-2.6.5 directory. I'm confused, the different numbers, is that what is screwing things up?
Papol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 08:45 PM   #6
YeLoW

Smile Re: nvidia.ko not found, even with module-init-tools installed!

Hi everyone:

Thanks for all your help. After some thinking, I decided to recompile my custom kernel without the --append-to-version tag. That solved the problem. Perhaps there is a bug associated with custom naming your kernel in debian with 2.6.5?

Thanks for everyone's help!