Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-06-04, 09:16 AM   #1
khalid357

Red face unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename under suse 9.0

so far i have been able to update my kernel which was the first problem i was having with the nvidia installer. now i get this message Error unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename , i saw posted threads but they dont address the problem in a manner that i can understand being a complete newbie. is there someone using suse 9.0 that can walk me through with baby steps so as i will understand what to do to correct this error and get my card working. I have been trying to tackle this one problem of Nvidia Installer for about 3 weeks and its getting frustrating. any help is appreciated.
thanks in advance
khalid357

Last edited by khalid357; 05-06-04 at 09:17 AM. Reason: misspelled words
khalid357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-04, 10:30 AM   #2
hppnq

Default Re: unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename under suse 9.0

The problem is probably that you do not have the kernel sources installed. I don't know what they are called in SUSE, but I expect them to contain the word "kernel". So, what you have to do is:

* determine which kernel you are running
* install the correct packages for this kernel

The first one is easy, type this at the prompt:

# uname -r

It will give you the version number of your current kernel. Now, mount the SUSE installation cd's
(put them in the drive and type "mount /mnt/cdrom" or "mount /cdrom") and try to find files containing the kernel version number. If you have a package manager (I think yast will do), use that if you want.

In any case install the package that looks like it contains the sources for your kernel. Now you should be able to run the Nvidia installer script without errors.
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-04, 01:00 PM   #3
khalid357

Red face Re: unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename under suse 9.0

i have done that part and have the kernel source installed in usr/src/linux and the kernel is (2.6.21.144) that was my first problem but now that, i have installed the source (which by the way suse 9.0 personal does not install by default.) now the installer starts but when it gets to the point where it trys to compile i get the error: unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename. I know the suse kernel and source are there but i don't know what the kernel module name is for nvidia.

khalid357

Last edited by khalid357; 05-06-04 at 01:01 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 05-06-04, 01:44 PM   #4
andyrock

Default Re: unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename under suse 9.0

you should run yast online update to update you kernel source and your kernel - they must be the same version.

reboot and reinstall nvidia driver. it will work this time

btw, if you have a non fx card, you can install nvidia driver from yast online update.

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-04, 01:54 PM   #5
khalid357

Red face Re: unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename under suse 9.0

how can i determine if both source and kernel are the same because i already used you to update the kernel and downloaded the source from suse. how can i find out if they are the same?
khalid357