Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-04, 09:16 PM   #25
russofris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 125
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacruden
It is unlikely that they treat Microsoft Windows in the same manner. I doubt they wait until AFTER the final is released, and then begin to work on the problem.
Considering that their linux drivers are ports of their windows drivers, the MS crowd is in the same boat.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-04, 09:43 PM   #26
deadmeat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Hello!!! This thread is about the newly released 2.6.6 kernal, not 2.6.6-rc or any of the mm's.

What part of this statement don't you understand:
" At present 4k stacks are selectable in config. When the feature has settled
in we should remove the 8k option. This will break the nvidia modules. But
Fedora uses 4k stacks so a new nvidia driver is expected soon"



So, the whole point is that NVidia has to keep up with Kernal development, 4kstacks is now the default and the option to change will soon disappear.

So, for the people who want fedora core2 (and that is me too) you can download the standard kernal source and compile(and have a unsupportable system) or you can wait for the new drivers.

And for all you SUSE, Debian and other distribution of the day people, you can thank the fedora folks for making sure that everything works when you get to 2.6.6.
deadmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 03:21 AM   #27
siddly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 125
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmeat
Hello!!! This thread is about the newly released 2.6.6 kernal, not 2.6.6-rc or any of the mm's.

What part of this statement don't you understand:
" At present 4k stacks are selectable in config. When the feature has settled
in we should remove the 8k option. This will break the nvidia modules. But
Fedora uses 4k stacks so a new nvidia driver is expected soon"



So, the whole point is that NVidia has to keep up with Kernal development, 4kstacks is now the default and the option to change will soon disappear.

So, for the people who want fedora core2 (and that is me too) you can download the standard kernal source and compile(and have a unsupportable system) or you can wait for the new drivers.

And for all you SUSE, Debian and other distribution of the day people, you can thank the fedora folks for making sure that everything works when you get to 2.6.6.
My post has nothing to do with 4KSTACKS, that's another issue that is fully understood. I have 2.6.6-rc3-mm2 with the 4KSTACKS patch reversed running with 5336 built on SuSE 9.0 and runs on 9.1. The build is failing as shown on 2.6.6-mm kernels. It's either a SuSE 9.1 bug or due to some change in 2.6.6-mm as those are the only things that have changed on this box since I built 2.6.6-rc3-mm2.
siddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 04:59 AM   #28
zander
NVIDIA Corporation
 
zander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,740
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

@siddly: your problem may be gcc 3.4 related, there are updated patches to fix this.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 05:58 AM   #29
siddly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 125
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@siddly: your problem may be gcc 3.4 related, there are updated patches to fix this.
Thanks, 5336 now builds. I shall recompile my kernel with REGPARM not set and fire it up later.
siddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 06:19 AM   #30
connyosis
Eggplant
 
connyosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 86
Send a message via ICQ to connyosis
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Ok, I've been searching all over the net, and a lot of people claim that the nvidia driver will work if 4k stacks and regparm are disabled. The thing is for a lot of people this might be true, but for a lot of people it isn't. I've been trying to upgrade to 2.6.6 myself, and no matter if 4k stacks and regparm are enabled or disabled, it just will not work. Period. I get the message that the nvidia module is in an invalid format or something like that. Now, it's not that big of a deal for me, I'm running Gentoo and I'm happy with 2.6.5. It's annoying that a kernel upgrade will screw up graphics drivers, but since 2.6 isn't considered as stable as 2.4 yet, I can accept that. I just hope nVidia will release updated drivers soon.
__________________
"Never bump a baby carriage out of a crosswalk unless the kid's really asking for it."
connyosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 06:19 AM   #31
SuLinUX
 
SuLinUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russofris
Considering that their linux drivers are ports of their windows drivers, the MS crowd is in the same boat.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
How can they be ports when the driver is completly different and what boat would that be?
__________________
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 06:30 AM   #32
connyosis
Eggplant
 
connyosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 86
Send a message via ICQ to connyosis
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
How can they be ports when the driver is completly different and what boat would that be?
Don't know if you can call it a port really, but isn't the windows and linux drivers based on the same architecture? The core of them both are more or less the same...
__________________
"Never bump a baby carriage out of a crosswalk unless the kid's really asking for it."
connyosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-04, 07:19 AM   #33
zander
NVIDIA Corporation
 
zander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,740
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

@siddly: it should work just fine with w/ CONFIG_REGPARM set; (btw: the gcc 3.4 build failure doesn't occur without CONFIG_REGPARM).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 09:23 PM   #34
russofris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 125
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
How can they be ports when the driver is completly different and what boat would that be?
Please explain how you think they are "completly different", and I will provide an explanation in another thread.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 11:02 PM   #35
SuLinUX
 
SuLinUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russofris
Please explain how you think they are "completly different", and I will provide an explanation in another thread.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
Well the linux driver is module based and the Windows driver uses dll's, so are you saying the linux nvidia driver module can is the same as the .exe driver package?
__________________
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 06:31 AM   #36
Evil Penguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 49
Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Well the linux driver is module based and the Windows driver uses dll's, so are you saying the linux nvidia driver module can is the same as the .exe driver package?

Hehe, I think you missed the point completely - of course no one is saying that the files are identical!

What they are saying is that most of the core driver source code is shared (ie much of the inner workings in the binary-only part of the Linux driver is the same as in the Windows driver), of course the interface between the driver and the operating system is different on the different operating systems.
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corrupted display - 302.17 - Dell Precision T3500 (G98 [Quadro NVS 295]) gbailey NVIDIA Linux 1 06-27-12 10:24 AM
UEFI+Nvidia - NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console... interzoneuk NVIDIA Linux 0 06-26-12 04:51 AM
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 11:04 AM
Lucid rt kernel can't load latest nvidia driver module, but generic does. marcod NVIDIA Linux 0 05-02-12 06:23 AM
Getting the proprietary nvidia driver to run with Debian 3.0 r0 (woody) Katchina404 NVIDIA Linux 9 01-12-03 08:49 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.