Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-04, 07:19 AM   #31
SuLinUX

Default Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russofris
Considering that their linux drivers are ports of their windows drivers, the MS crowd is in the same boat.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
How can they be ports when the driver is completly different and what boat would that be?
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 07:30 AM   #32
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
How can they be ports when the driver is completly different and what boat would that be?
Don't know if you can call it a port really, but isn't the windows and linux drivers based on the same architecture? The core of them both are more or less the same...

Old 05-15-04, 08:19 AM   #33
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@siddly: it should work just fine with w/ CONFIG_REGPARM set; (btw: the gcc 3.4 build failure doesn't occur without CONFIG_REGPARM).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 10:23 PM   #34
russofris

Quote:
Please explain how you think they are "completly different", and I will provide an explanation in another thread.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 12:02 AM   #35
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by russofris
Please explain how you think they are "completly different", and I will provide an explanation in another thread.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
Well the linux driver is module based and the Windows driver uses dll's, so are you saying the linux nvidia driver module can is the same as the .exe driver package?
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
Old 05-16-04, 07:31 AM   #36
Evil Penguin

Quote:
Well the linux driver is module based and the Windows driver uses dll's, so are you saying the linux nvidia driver module can is the same as the .exe driver package?

Hehe, I think you missed the point completely - of course no one is saying that the files are identical!

What they are saying is that most of the core driver source code is shared (ie much of the inner workings in the binary-only part of the Linux driver is the same as in the Windows driver), of course the interface between the driver and the operating system is different on the different operating systems.
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 11:27 PM   #37
russofris

Quote:
Wow, that's totally nothing like what I am saying, and honestly have no idea how that popped into your head. I am saying that they are both derived from a common/shared codebase, which is then appropriately packaged for it's target OS. the OGL .'so' and '.dll' are almost identical. The 2D driver and kernel interfaces are the only different pieces. I'll start a different thread on the topic, so we don't polute this one any more.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
Old 05-17-04, 08:44 AM   #38
SuLinUX

Thats why I was asking the question, I assume that the nvidia Win driver is totally different from the Linux driver, I dont know code wise but I was talking about it's implementation.

Opened a new thead, sorry about the off topic.

Last edited by SuLinUX; 05-17-04 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 06:59 PM   #39
russofris

Quote:
Thats why I was asking the question, I assume that the nvidia Win driver is totally different from the Linux driver, I dont know code wise but I was talking about it's implementation.

Opened a new thead, sorry about the off topic.

Will do, lemme get home from work 1st.

Thank you for your time,
FranK Russo
Old 05-17-04, 07:29 PM   #40
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talornin
And as soon as they do release Beta drivers the ranting will start again. People will innstall beta drivers and it will not work and they will whine and bitch. Just like they do now with the 4k/8k stacks.
Yes, people will whine and bitch despite all efforts, but those people are very easy to distinguish from those willing (and able) to help identify what works and what does not. If you attempt to keep people from whining and bitching, all you will get is more... or you will simply leave the industry.

There are immature and ignorant people in the world and nothing will change that... but their presence should not be used as a crutch on which to prop up decisions, which is precisely what your logic above is doing -- it is simply a poor argument.

Beta drivers may not solve many issues in this situation, I doubt it myself (there are other good reasons for that ~ debugging symbols), so we're in some agreement.
Old 05-17-04, 11:21 PM   #41
bahamot

simple solution:
just get nvidia release new driver compatible to 2.6.6 :P
and btw, it's quite a long time they didn't update driver for linux
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 08:23 AM   #42
acrux
ISF Napoli

Lightbulb Re: 2.6.6 kernel breaks NVIDIA driver?

on my distro (gnu/linux crux) i've seen that 53.36 works fine againts all 2.6.x-vanilla . The 2.6.x-vanilla doesn't enable automatically the 4k.

The -mm kernel patch enables permanently a 4k stacks... the nvidia drivers compiles but do NOT work.

I'm courrently running a 2.6.6-mm3 and i've not used the -mm3-patch but his broken-out .
I've, simply, done a little script that applies to my vanilla kernel source all patches except 'make-4k-stacks-permanent.patch'.

see ya,
Acrux
acrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 11:39 AM   #43
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Alternatively, you could apply the cumulative -mm3 patch and revert make-4k-stacks-permanent.patch. ;)
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 02:29 AM   #44
baz2a

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=29

Just got NVIDIA 5336 drivers working on GeForce FX 5600, FC 2 Final, kernel 2.6.6 (yes that's kernel 2.6.6 I said) and KDE 3.2.2. Posted results in forum. Take a look if having probs. with FC2 and NVIDIA.

HTH,
Ben Z
baz2a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-04, 06:30 PM   #45
Len Reed

Well, the latest driver does NOT work for me, and I'm not using RedHat's kernel. I'm using a geforce4 MX440 8X with 64MB. It's a vanilla 2.6.6 kernel from www.kernel.org.

The failure is the same on 2.6.5 and on 2.6.6 (with 4K stack option disabled). Very soon after typing "startx" the system locks up. Failure occurs at random points from very early to after the desktop and icons come up. It does not respond to keyboard input (even capslock won't toggle the light) or network pings or to mouse clicks. Moving the mouse, though, moves the visible cursor.

8 bit color seems to fail slower than 16, though both lock things up.

Symptons are the same whether I enable TV (Svideo) output or not.

The card works fine with the XFree86 "nv" driver, but since that doesn't support TV-out it is hardly a substitute in this application (MythTV PVR). BTW, symptoms are the same when I disable the video capture card (Hauppauge PVR250) and don't load any of its supporting modules.
Len Reed is offline   Reply With Quote