Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-04, 02:16 AM   #1
Eux

Lightbulb Not able to install drivers in Debian Linux!

Hi you guys"!

I have Debian Woody running on my pc with an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MMX graphics card.

The problem arises when I run the installer and it says that I do not have a pre-compiled kernel to work with. After that I compiled a kernel and created a default "kernel-image.deb". Tried running the installer again and it still gives the same error message.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thank you all in advance.......!
Eux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 02:49 AM   #2
Badger

Default Re: Not able to install drivers in Debian Linux!

I have Debian 3.0 release 2 running with my FX card.

I had to rebuild my kernel with the woody "idepci" config file. I did this the old fashioned way by installing the kernel source with dselect and using make. I found the config file for that kernel on www.debian.org.

Then after restarting my PC with this new kernel the nvidia installer will rebuild okay.

Oh, I used verison 4496 of the Nvidia installer.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 02:49 AM   #3
gazza

Errrr, you must have a precompiled kernel, otherwise you wouldn't be able to boot into Linux.

You must also have the source installed in /usr/src/linux

where linux is a symbolic link to the current kernel version.

I take it this there on your system?

I expect the message really means you don't have a precompiled kernel module for nvidia. Not to worry, nobody does, if the installer is pkg0, then there aren't any kernel headers supplied with that installer, so the installer has to compile one. This relies on the link in /usr/src/linux.
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 05:52 AM   #4
Eux

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza
Errrr, you must have a precompiled kernel, otherwise you wouldn't be able to boot into Linux.

You must also have the source installed in /usr/src/linux

where linux is a symbolic link to the current kernel version.

I take it this there on your system?

I expect the message really means you don't have a precompiled kernel module for nvidia. Not to worry, nobody does, if the installer is pkg0, then there aren't any kernel headers supplied with that installer, so the installer has to compile one. This relies on the link in /usr/src/linux.

So in theory it should be ok if I had a kernel-image.deb? Right? Or is that the installer only recognises a bzImage file?
Oh by the way, where should I have the kernel image file at, /usr/src directory? Plus a link to the file?

I appreciate your help.....Thanks a lot!
Old 05-07-04, 06:01 AM   #5
hppnq

You must have the kernel sources installed somewhere, the easiest is if they are in the default /usr/src/linux. Usually, /usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to /usr/src/linux-<version>.

Your problem doesn't have anything to do with a pre-compiled kernel, because without a kernel image you won't be able to boot at all. What's probably the case, is that the installer doesn't have a pre-compiled version of its own kernel interface. That's usually not a problem at all, because then it will offer you to try and get it off the Nvidia FTP server, or, as a final resort, it will compile the kernel interface (the module).

So, what *exactly* is the message you are getting? Most probably, you will have to compile the nvidia driver, it could be that the building process stumbles upon another problem, like missing kernel sources.
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 06:03 AM   #6
Eux

I am sorry but I don't seem to quite understand the process you have done. Instead of installing the drivers after upgrading the kernel installing the 'Debian' way, you have used 'dselect' to install the kernel image and then you rebuilt using the 'idepci' file? Could you please explaing the process a bit more detailed? Thanks a lot"!
Old 05-07-04, 06:05 AM   #7
Eux

Plus what can I do to get the one of the FTP Server if I do not have access to the net?
Old 05-07-04, 06:06 AM   #8
Eux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
I have Debian 3.0 release 2 running with my FX card.

I had to rebuild my kernel with the woody "idepci" config file. I did this the old fashioned way by installing the kernel source with dselect and using make. I found the config file for that kernel on www.debian.org.

Then after restarting my PC with this new kernel the nvidia installer will rebuild okay.

Oh, I used verison 4496 of the Nvidia installer.
I am sorry but I don't seem to quite understand the process you have done. Instead of installing the drivers after upgrading the kernel installing the 'Debian' way, you have used 'dselect' to install the kernel image and then you rebuilt using the 'idepci' file? Could you please explaing the process a bit more detailed? Thanks a lot"!

Old 05-07-04, 06:26 AM   #9
hppnq

What installer are you using?
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 06:41 AM   #10
Eux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq
What installer are you using?

I am using the latest Version: 1.0-4349..........
Old 05-07-04, 06:48 AM   #11
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eux

Ihad all the issues described on this web page...

http://www.madcow404.com/buyle/Nvidi..._Nvidia_files_