Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-02, 02:14 PM   #1
styles-T
-========-

Default Winxp Router Config Help.!

I have 2 computers networked through a lynksys router. Both with Winxp. The problem is the one computer that is not directly connected to the router will not go online unless the other computer which is connected to the router is online.

Is there a setting in winxp that will let me enable or disable this? Or do I need to do some sort of IP config for my router..

This on a cable modem.

thanks in advance.
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 02:23 PM   #2
volt

You are saying that you have 2 machines that go through the router, but in the next sentence you say that 1 box is not directly connected to it. Can you explain this situation a bit further ? I will be glad to help. I'm thinking that you have 1 box connected to the router and the other machine is hooked up with your 1st box. In this case if you turn off your 1st computer you can't get axx to the net from the second one obviously.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 05:59 PM   #3
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

You need to check yer network config, d1rX explanation is how it sounds like your configured. If yer goin' through a linksys router, your two pcs should be configured to use dhcp and get ips for yer lan from the router and the gateway for each pc should resolve to the ip of the linksys router. If yer having probs w/ that trying assigning the gateway by specifing the ip.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 06:02 PM   #4
styles-T
-========-

Ok in other words. In winxp...How would I get 2 computers to get internet access with a Lynksys router. Without having one comp turned ON for the other to have internet access..

He cant get 1 of the Comps to get internet access unless he has the other comp turned on..

This is actually for a friend at work..I havnt seen the setup myself..He just explaind the scenario to me..

2 comps turned on = internet access
1 comp off & 1 comp on = no access..

Im not sure what he did..

Let me know if this makes sense..
Old 08-01-02, 06:12 PM   #5
volt

So basically you are saying that you have 2 machines connected to the router. When both machines are ON both have axx to the net. I need to know which computer is causing the problem, or is it the router that isn't set up properly.

Look for this option in your router:
(I don't know if that's available in linksys)
Note that you dont have to have your LAN IP specified
WAN MAC Address
Spoof this computer's MAC Address - IP Address

Set it to 'YES' and enter LAN address that is higher then your Router's IP address by 1 (Router: 192.168.0.1, spoofing 192.168.0.2)
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 08-01-02, 06:27 PM   #6
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

quick ques, is it configured like this?

cable modem
||
linksys router
||
2 workstations

It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like the broadband connection is directly connected to one workstation and being shared to the other pc via internet connection sharing and the linksys router is there just to have a 'lil lan setup.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 11:16 PM   #7
volt

it sounds like it, but why would he have a router and still make the second box tunnel through the first one ?

Old 08-02-02, 08:23 AM   #8
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

all you have to do is plug the cable modem into the uplink port of the router ... than plug both of the computers into the router (skipping the shared port of the uplink) ... it takes about 5 seconds to do this ...

- mike

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-02, 09:44 AM   #9
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Best to have a fileserver and have your 2 pc's rout through it.
Old 08-02-02, 10:33 AM   #10
styles-T
-========-

Quote:
Originally posted by darkmiasma
all you have to do is plug the cable modem into the uplink port of the router ... than plug both of the computers into the router (skipping the shared port of the uplink) ... it takes about 5 seconds to do this ...

- mike
Dark - Uplink or Lan wan Port?

I have it just like Juice Z described..It sounds like its doing an internet sharing thing but it shouldn't be..

Cable Modem -> [Lan/Wan Router Port]
Pc 1 -> [Router Port 1]
PC 2 -> [Router Port 2]
DHCP Set on.

Does XP have any settings that I should be familiar with?
Old 08-02-02, 12:15 PM   #11
volt

Not when you assign DHCP. It should be all automatic.

Cable modem -> Router's WAN port
Box 1 -> Port 1
Box 2 -> Port 2
Set both boxes to use DHCP

Uplink port may be used if you want to hook up another switch or a hub, or another router.

Old 08-02-02, 01:25 PM   #12
styles-T
-========-

Thx D1rx.