Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-10-04, 08:48 AM   #1
Megatron1983

Unhappy nForce Drivers for Kernel 2.6?

Will there ever be any drivers/rpms for Distributions using Kernel 2.6?
Im asking because I wonder what nVidia is doing lately, we havent seen an update since June 11th and Kernel 2.6 is around for quite a while now.
And thanks to the lack of drivers, I dont have any sound in SuSE 9.1 which worked like a champ on SuSE 8.2.

Does anyone know?
Megatron1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 12:27 AM   #2
mygod100

Default Re: nForce Drivers for Kernel 2.6?

NeoXP toldl me that the forcedeth-driver will work, but do not know how to compile with it , there is no option selection for it in make xconfig. If you know how to make with it,please tell me.
refer to http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28020
mygod100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 08:13 AM   #3
Megatron1983

Unhappy Re: nForce Drivers for Kernel 2.6?

That driver does have nothing to do with sound unfortunaly, Ethernet works just fine for me.
Old 05-11-04, 10:36 AM   #4
dumbo11

For audio, you could try the i810 audio driver (works for me).

See this page for configuration info (if you want to do anything clever - like hardware mixing etc - read the comments at the bottom).

Nforce audio page at alsa-project.org
dumbo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 10:33 AM   #5
enyawix

Angry Re: nForce Drivers for Kernel 2.6?

A kernel developer my the name of Andrew Morton is being inconsiderate and intensionally breaking support for all Nvidia hardware. 2.6.6 makes nforce2 systems crash randomly, sound is poor and the Geforce driver no longer works. If this is not soon fixed i am soon starting a anti Andrew Morton fan club. Linux is about freedom. Breaking support for a popular chip set is taking freedom away.
enyawix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 11:12 AM   #6
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

i have no clue what everyone's gripe is with linux + 2.6 kernel + nvidia.

now, if you had an ati video card (like me ), THEN you would have something to gripe about.

here's instructions:

regular X+nVidia drivers for the video
don't use 2.6.6 kernel (have you read the changelog?)
forcedeth for ethernet (these drivers work better than nvidia's closed-source drivers)
and, alsa+snd-intel8x0 drivers for the sound http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...odule=intel8x0

everything should work perfectly.

if you have an ati video card, however, you will not be able to run any 3d applications (unless using software render, of course).
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 10:29 AM   #7
Anakin-s

Me too woundering when nForce drivers is going to be released to all versions that is not supported to day.
Mandrake above 9.1
RH inkl Feudora above 9.0
SuSE above 9.0.

This forum points to all kind of threads with more or less hassle to get a work around but no real supporting drivers in sight.
Anakin-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 10:32 AM   #8
Megatron1983

I will let it stay this way since after weeks of tweaking and messing around with it I still cant get it to work properly.
I will just buy a non nV Soundcard when I upgrade my system.

Old 06-21-04, 02:33 AM   #9
Seta-San

Send a message via AIM to Seta-San

using the intel 8x0 is fine except when using xmms. It just won't work with it. i hope nvidia release a new driver, 2.6 ready, because i can't build them because of errors in linking to kernel source. geforce source build worked fine so i just think it's a kernel version mismatch.
Mandrake10.0 Official
WindowsXP SP2 RC2
1024MB DDR 3200
Seta-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-04, 10:55 AM   #10
juillen

Phew, a nice set of 2.6 compliant NForce drivers would be tops.
There's that nice audio control panel which is now out (I like the look/idea for it on a Linux system, fair enough it looks like a prettier version of the other mixers, but hey, if it really does the job nicely with the nvaudio component, it's a good thing), but no way at all for me to actually compile their dedicated drivers.
Given that the 2.6 series kernel is in all the new distros, it really does make sense to work more on that kernel revision. Loads of people will be upgrading their kernels, and certainly moving across to the new distros in a very short space of time.
Having the drivers ready to roll will make a huge difference to the perception of the involvement of NVidia with the Linux OS.
juillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-04, 07:30 AM   #11
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Dont expect to see any drivers for 2.6 anytime soon, everything is in kernel allready. Except those things that will be in subsequent kernels like sata_nv, and gigabit support for forcedeth.
If you need a cute┬┤sy GUI for alsa try alsamixergui.
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-04, 06:47 PM   #12
feeyo

Or KAMix =) well this screen is based on the emu10k1 but would work on nforce also i think.