Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-04, 02:29 PM   #1
PCPalmPaul

Default Please Help RE: Restoring App Icon

Recently I "tried" Firefox browser. While slick, it installed spyware toolbars and I deleted it, along with reg entries, appdata files, etc. It TOOK OVER the PhotoShop icon for opening jpgs, etc. and I can't get them back - I see only the Blue and white logo with an "A" for "generic, we don't know what opens this." I have right clicked and said "Open with" and selected PhotoShop, and marked box saying "always use this," but logo is still there.

Can ANYONE please tell me how to fix this annoying problem; since Firefox, ALL jpgs, gifs and bmps now have that logo instead of the PhotoShop one and I'd like to amend that rather than reload the whole PC just to fix a logo.

Anyone interested in the MASSIVE uninstall procedure for Firefox, please PM or email me and I'll send you a prepared "list" I made this morning detailing what's required to "be rid of it." Internet Explorer might have its quirks hre and ther, but it never installed spyware. Let's give it credit!

This is not a life or death thing, the PC working fine -- but if anyone knows the trick I'd be very grateful indeed. Thanks to anyone, in advance!!/Paul
PCPalmPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 02:39 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Please Help RE: Restoring App Icon

Double posting is bad, mmmkay?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 04:21 PM   #3
PCPalmPaul

Default OK, well this one will do then . . . .

My question might have fallen under 2 categories.

First of all, thank you for your quick response - didn't expect anything that fast. I'm very grateful for your tip. Also, the smiley with "Bahahaha" is outstanding! Gave me a cheering-up.

I've received feedback on a Palm forum (those I'm a whiz at) regarding Firefox also; most people think it's fantastic. All I know is (limited as that is!) no Firefox, no spayware; Firefox: spyware. None since the uninstall. I know what you mean regarding IE; browsers browse and I have found that my checking the box under internet options for "don't just download software automatically," and running Spybot, SpySweep, SpyBlaster and several cleaning utilities as well as AV and Firewall, I stay clear for months at a time.

I apologize for the double post; just didn't know which area would be the most read, and this unfortunately was a "frantic first" posting.

Take care and thanks again.
PCPalmPaul is offline   Reply With Quote