Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-04, 02:31 PM   #1
PCPalmPaul

Default Please Help RE: Restoring App Icon . . .

Recently I "tried" Firefox browser. While slick, it installed spyware toolbars and I deleted it, along with reg entries, appdata files, etc. It TOOK OVER the PhotoShop icon for opening jpgs, etc. and I can't get them back - I see only the Blue and white logo with an "A" for "generic, we don't know what opens this." I have right clicked and said "Open with" and selected PhotoShop, and marked box saying "always use this," but logo is still there.

Can ANYONE please tell me how to fix this annoying problem; since Firefox, ALL jpgs, gifs and bmps now have that logo instead of the PhotoShop one and I'd like to amend that rather than reload the whole PC just to fix a logo.

Anyone interested in the MASSIVE uninstall procedure for Firefox, please PM or email me and I'll send you a prepared "list" I made this morning detailing what's required to "be rid of it." Internet Explorer might have its quirks hre and ther, but it never installed spyware. Let's give it credit!

This is not a life or death thing, the PC working fine -- but if anyone knows the trick I'd be very grateful indeed. Thanks to anyone, in advance!!/Paul
PCPalmPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 02:39 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Please Help RE: Restoring App Icon . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPalmPaul
Internet Explorer might have its quirks hre and ther, but it never installed spyware. Let's give it credit!
I don't know what browser you've installed, but those of us using Firefox/Mozilla around here (and there are plenty) have never heard of something like this.

Far as the Photoshop thing, you might want to download TweakUI from Microsoft and run the rebuild icons setting. That should clear up any programs that are hogging icons when they shouldn't.

And as far as IE not installing Spyware! Give it a bad ActiveX control you're in spyware city.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 04:14 PM   #3
Smokey
Team Rainbow

You sure its FireFox? Every Mozilla/Firefox Ive used doesnt even have an installer, it just runs straight from the unzipped folder.

For images, you should be able to right click on an image file and select " open with" select the program, and tick the box "always use this program for this file type" or something to that effect.

Also as Sat said, tweakUI should also do the trick.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 04:24 PM   #4
PCPalmPaul

Default Already Got Yelled AT . . .

for "double posting, and have apologized on the other thread under Windows.

Thank you both for answering and I'll try that. Already did the "open with" thing to no avail. Firefox is VERY popular, but I think I'll stick with IC, "glitches and all." Any other postings by me to this subject or responses will be under THIS thread, and not the Windows one - so endeth the double posts. Sorry!! Just didn't know which area would be "read" more.

Paul
Old 05-11-04, 05:06 PM   #5
PCPalmPaul

Default Tweak UI is GREAT!

Actually couldn't get the file from MS to work so got it somewhere else; installed and fixed a WHOLE BUNCH of little "quirks" like arrows on shortcuts and "mouse shadow;" can't figure out how to fix the PhotoShop thing yet (anyone out there use TweakUI and could give me a suggestion as to which "tab" I need?).

It's a super little app though - thank you. Enclosed is a screen shot of it; if any of you could provide a hint as to procedure that would be super. I did find a list of "new document openings," one of which is PhShp -- if I delete it it says I have to reinstall. Is that the "fix?"

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TweakUI Screen.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5733  
Old 05-11-04, 11:04 PM   #6
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

You have the Windows 9x/ME/2000 version of TweakUI there. Is that the OS you're using?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 11:18 PM   #7
PCPalmPaul

Default Yes, Saturnotaku - Windows 2K.

The "rebuild icon" button, when used AFTER "eliminate little arrows on shortcuts", fixes the little "toolbox" that replaces desktop folders. Very nice.

Anyway, that's besides the point. The good news is it's fixed. I went into regedit, scrolled down through HOTKEY_CLASSES to jpg, and installed the icon address manually. First time I've fixed a registry! Woo Hoo -- just goes to show you -- this stuff really isn't that hard, is it?

Thanks SO VERY MUCH for the suggestion, and apologies again for the double post. Thanks for taking a look at it and replying.

Take care!!