Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-04, 10:11 PM   #1
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default gentoo users: don't emerge system...

well, atleast don't do *anything* that would make you go back a version of glibc. i guess this is a bug (not sure if it's gentoo specific or not), and your entire system dies when you go backwards a version in glibc.

in order to prevent this, try emerge -pv glibc and see if it has D in the left hand field. if it does, don't emerge system.

anyway, it's just my warning... after working so long and hard to get my gentoo stage1 install next to perfect, this screwed it up =\.

afaik there is no known fix for this problem other than reformatting the filesystem. even reinstalling the bootstrap was useless to someone.

here's a thread for more information:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...408&highlight=

note: this may apply to other distributions as well, but i'm not sure
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-04, 12:51 PM   #2
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis
Default Re: gentoo users: don't emerge system...

You dont run emerge system, you run emerge -uD world if you want to upgrade packages. emerge system is only used during installation as far as I know.
Old 05-19-04, 03:02 PM   #3
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

emerge system assumes the -u flag

emerge world also assumes the -u flag, and will have the same effect of system, only it will upgrade every package. emerge system only updates the out of date programs in /usr/sbin (system binaries), so it is used in times other than the install... i guess depending on the user.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 05-19-04, 03:45 PM   #4
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

I see, didn't know that.
Well then it seems pretty weird that glibc will be replaced by an older version. Of course its pretty clear that replacing a newer version with an older one, will break stuff, but I don't see how that happened really...
Old 05-19-04, 07:13 PM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

i think i goofed up somehow... if i were guessing i had to enabled ~x86 arch flags for a certain package and it got the glibc also, then when it was turned off and i did emerge system, portage saw that my glibc wasn't stable, so it took the liberty to downgrade to an older version in order to protect my system from the mean instable packages.

well, anyway, that's speculation #2. who really knows what happened or how/why. the only thing i know for a fact is if you go backwards a version in glibc your system will be ****ed; so i suggest not doing so :P