Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which name do you prefer for the nv30
Geforce5 14 31.11%
Tnt3 4 8.89%
Omega 3 6.67%
Omen 18 40.00%
Ahniahlator(h/ever it's spelled) 6 13.33%
Destroyer 3 6.67%
Powerpro 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-02, 01:26 PM   #37
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

One I already said before in another thread, nVoodoo, seems like a good name to me.

Lets look at past history. The first chip was called Riva. Hm. The second was TNT and accompanied by Detonator drivers to make the TNT's performance explode. Then that was followed by the speed and power of g-forces knocking you out of your seat (along with the fact that the GeForce was a Geometry TnL).

So looking at that naming scheme, they want experiences to be conveyed by their names.

I think CineForce or something like that would be an interesting name to take advantage of their focus on the new Cinematic GPUs, but perhaps since Cinematic GPU is already there, they won't use Cine-.

nVidia's new GPU, the Theater. Nah. nVidia's new GPU, the Projector. nVidia's new GPU, the ScreenMagick. nVidia's new GPU, PixelMagic. nVidia's new GPU, ShaderMagic. nVidia's new GPU, Revolution. Unlikely because they want revolutionary to be an adjective for its release, no doubt. nVidia's new GPU, Shaderclysm (Cataclysm). CameraClysm, Pixelclysm, or Cineclysm.

Perhaps something like the nForce. nVidia's new GPU, the nCinema. nVoodoo, again. nVideo. nForce Video (sparking numerous complaints from ATI peeps about how the naming scheme is confusing again). nVidia's new GPU, the nSurreality. Or just nVidia's new GPU, Sureallity. Perhaps nVR. ("Bored with 9 to 5? Twist your life, twist your mind, and twist reality with the nVR.") nV nWarp. nV nZone.

Hmmm.

Perhaps they'd prefer a feeling being conveyed (TNT=explosion of color, Geforce=dazed by speed) and go with something like Rapture. Rapture meaning put into ecstasy of feeling. nVidia's new GPU, the nRapt. Hm. Not exactly a smooth name. nVidia's new Rapture. Then again, that also has the first same letter as Radeon and I suspect they'd not do that to prevent any confusion.

nV's VideoStorm, nVidia's V-Storm. (following their recent Soundstorm announcements). Cinestorm. nVoodoo Storm.

Personally, I think the best of that lot are nVoodoo, nCinema (has a rhythm to it), and perhaps Cineclysm (to represent that "fundamental shift" that nV likes to talk about).

How about Nvidia's Very Important, Delayed Image Announcement (NVIDIA)? Heh.

EDIT:

PS:

Who here thinks that the new, AGP8X versions of the GF4 series will be renamed for the improvements over their GF4 predecessors. They do have higher transisitor counts and we know they have AGP8x, so technically, nV has released a higher number name in the past for similar changes (Ti500 over the regular GF5, GF4 MX over GF2MX).

Who wants to bet we'll be seeing Geforce5 regardless? I mean, which would you be more apt to buy? Geforce 4 Ti5000 over a similar spec'ed, lowercost Geforce 4 Ti4600. Or Geforce 5 Ti5600 over a similar spec'ed, lowercost Geforce 4 Ti4600? As ATI has done in the past, they might try to use numbers to confuse people about the merits of the R9700. Nothing new, though, since ATI began that game with the R8500 mess to nVidia's Ti500 and continued it with the R9000 fiasco. Just all part of the video card business.

Last edited by CainSyris; 08-03-02 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-03-02, 02:07 PM   #38
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Quote:
Originally posted by Raptorman
Take the name 3dfx was suppose to have for their card after the V5.
RAMPAGE or FEAR
I think those were just internal codenames (like nVidia uses NV30...)
Quote:
Originally posted by CainSyris
One I already said before in another thread, nVoodoo, seems like a good name to me.
Yes, like I said before in a pre-hack thread, whether nVidia uses a Voodoo-ish name or not is up for debate, but if they don't, it will almost be guaranteed that they will use Voodoo-like statements in their advertising for it, it just makes common sense, and it'll be good biz practice to get the die-hard Voodoo fans to jump ship this time around. I STILL know a few people hanging onto their V5s...and they're all waiting for the NV30 coincidentally...
Old 08-03-02, 02:40 PM   #39
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Exclamation

*in a gruff voice*

Sporting the latest and greatest in video rendering technology, nVidia - the folks that brought you the TNT and GeForce family cards - is set to unlease a demon of towering purporions to do your bidding on your PC!!

Introducing the nVidia "Kthulu" CineFX , a no-holds-barred powerhouse that combines the latest in computer industry standards along with an unholy alliance of patented 3dfx and nVidia technologies.

Blistering speed!
Cinematically gorgeous 3D rendering!
Breath taking image quality!
Jaw dropping performance!

You gotta have it.
You deserve it.
Expect not the inferior!!

The NVIDIA "Kthulu" CineFX
Don't settle for lesser evils!!

...*ahem*...Welp, that's my dime.

Last edited by PsychoSy; 08-03-02 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-03-02, 02:46 PM   #40
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking

Evil Commando Radeon 9700 will defeat Evil Kuthulu
Old 08-03-02, 03:51 PM   #41
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Voodoo is a good name!!A nice way to get all 3dfxers that went Ati!

They can call it WC for all I care,if it's good I'll buy it!!
Old 08-03-02, 04:03 PM   #42
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Fotis
Voodoo is a good name!!A nice way to get all 3dfxers that went Ati!

They can call it WC for all I care,if it's good I'll buy it!!

Dude 1 :Hey dude guess what i just brought today for 500$

dude2 : What ?

Dude1: a VOODOO

dude2: a VOODOO !! you must be an idiot to by 5+ year
old card for 500$ , you no longer my friend be gone.

Dude1: Cries
Old 08-03-02, 05:01 PM   #43
sebazve

I like Rampage or Fear
Quote:
Take the name 3dfx was suppose to have for their card after the V5.
I second that, i really like those names.

CineFx or all the combinations sucks big time.

Heres what i think:
1-) Thunderbolt or just thunder.
2-)It could also be Atila (hhm no too much ATI)
3-)VIThor (VI from Visual Proc....), i dont like it very much
4) Sauron (from LOFR)
5-) Poseidon
6-)Nautilus

hhmm, well?
Old 08-03-02, 05:09 PM   #44
Sgt. Slaughter

How about a horrible name to go along with all the other stuff.

GeForce XP or Video XP. Some stupid cutomers would buy it.

Old 08-03-02, 05:21 PM   #45
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

Or they could use the Microsoft naming scheme and go extremely simple (hence, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Flight Simulator, etc.)

nVidia Video Card.
Old 08-03-02, 05:25 PM   #46
Philibob

Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob

Quote:
nVidia Video Card

I like Thunderbolt. The best one I came up with is Ingenuity.
Shows you how goood I am at making up names
The 3DFX names that wasn't used sounded good too.
Old 08-04-02, 02:51 AM   #47
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza

How does this sound to you guys, Nvidia "Omen". We had a bit of a prank pulled on us a while back @ www.madonion.com's forums with an Nvidia Omen vid card, I think the name was great name.

Actual Meaning Is:
Omen - A phenomenon supposed to portend good or evil; a prophetic sign.

I think that would fit the card just fine, What do you guys think. Nvidia better name it that though. Geforce 5 would suck. Too many geforces out already.
Old 08-04-02, 03:12 AM   #48
Feanor

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
I think those were just internal codenames (like nVidia uses NV30...)
Yes they were...but following a naming convention like 3dfx did for their code names wouldn't be a bad idea. 3dfx had some good code names...too bad they didn't bother to use them retail...

OK, I understand why they did, Voodoo had brand recognition...but and this goes for using Voodoo now, by they time they reached Voodoo 5, the name really did get used a lot.

So whether they called it Voodoo 6 (doubt it would happen) or GeForce 5, we're still back to the "using an old name...how about something new for a change?"

Some might go for calling it Rampage or Fear, others might say something new...but I think 3dfx's code name convention would actually result in some cool names of which to call their cards.
Closed Thread