Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-16-04, 06:34 PM   #133
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: I Played FarCry with Pixel Shader 3.0

hmmm.. Im really not sure what size it is.. it was a nice screen though I think it said viewsonic on it.. i could just be imaging things though..hehe
Old 05-16-04, 06:38 PM   #134
fallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
Posts like this make me sick. The NV40 does not suck in PS 2.0. In the 3dmark PS2.0 test the 6800 is about 25% faster than the X800XT. SM3.0 does lead to fast PS2.0 performance, just like SM2 leads to faster PS1.1 performance. Im not saying the X800 is slow in PS2.0 but it's not as fast as the 6800 in this case.
Yeah, because they have never inflated 3dmark scores, right?
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 06:43 PM   #135
hovz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzak
Posts like this make me sick. The NV40 does not suck in PS 2.0. In the 3dmark PS2.0 test the 6800 is about 25% faster than the X800XT. SM3.0 does lead to fast PS2.0 performance, just like SM2 leads to faster PS1.1 performance. Im not saying the X800 is slow in PS2.0 but it's not as fast as the 6800 in this case.
by this cas eu mean specifically 3d mark right? because the x800xt IS faster at ps 2.0 than nv40. theres not even an arguement. its also a fact that nv40 is slower at 3.0 than 2.0, just like atis card will be when its released. just like both cards are slower at 2.0 than 1.1. its so sad that people think that using shader 3.0 will actually increase performance.
hovz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 06:46 PM   #136
Ruined

hovz perhaps you should check out the news that ATI is cheating with their ansiotropic filtering methods by using brilinear all the time and hiding it from the user by disabling it only when colored mipmaps are requested (deliberately hiding AF optimizations from the user)... look at top threads in r3d and b3d. I'd be skeptical with ATI's performance numbers at this point in time.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 06:57 PM   #137
OWA

Quote:
just like both cards are slower at 2.0 than 1.1. its so sad that people think that using shader 3.0 will actually increase performance.
I think it can increase performance but probably won't do much for performance if they're using it to add more effects. If they just took some PS 2.0 code and rewrote it to use PS 3.0 you might see an increase in performance since PS 3.0 is more efficient. But, a lot of developers may end up using the speed increase to justify adding more effects so in the end the peformance gain may be offset by an increased number of effects. So, it could end up the same speed or slower (but should look better if they went the increased number of effects route). The above is just my interpretation on what I've been reading about it (since I'm definitely not an expert).
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 07:02 PM   #138
Skynet

Send a message via ICQ to Skynet Send a message via AIM to Skynet
Exclamation Re: I Played FarCry with Pixel Shader 3.0

Okay I made a torrent of the original file, BUT I re-muxed the file with mp2 audio (original audio was not compressed) and corrected the mpeg header. The file should play fine in Windows Media Player.

Video: 720x480 mpeg2 VBR
audio: mpeg layer2
file size: 34 Mbyte

Hope it works.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 07:07 PM   #139
hovz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
hovz perhaps you should check out the news that ATI is cheating with their ansiotropic filtering methods by using brilinear all the time and hiding it from the user by disabling it only when colored mipmaps are requested (deliberately hiding AF optimizations from the user)... look at top threads in r3d and b3d. I'd be skeptical with ATI's performance numbers at this point in time.
dont see how this affects ps 2.0 speed
Old 05-16-04, 07:09 PM   #140
hovz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I think it can increase performance but probably won't do much for performance if they're using it to add more effects. If they just took some PS 2.0 code and rewrote it to use PS 3.0 you might see an increase in performance since PS 3.0 is more efficient. But, a lot of developers may end up using the speed increase to justify adding more effects so in the end the peformance gain may be offset by an increased number of effects. So, it could end up the same speed or slower (but should look better if they went the increased number of effects route). The above is just my interpretation on what I've been reading about it (since I'm definitely not an expert).
the onky situations where ps 3.0 is faster than 2.0 is situations where extremely complex or long shaders are used so that dnyamic flow control and branching benefits actually outweigh the cpu cycles they take. we will not see any games like that thsi generation because they will slow nv40 and r420 to a crawl.

Old 05-16-04, 07:15 PM   #141
Jarred
OUTCAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovz
the onky situations where ps 3.0 is faster than 2.0 is situations where extremely complex or long shaders are used so that dnyamic flow control and branching benefits actually outweigh the cpu cycles they take. we will not see any games like that thsi generation because they will slow nv40 and r420 to a crawl.
nm, I say nothing.
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 07:26 PM   #142
fallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
Way to assume too much.
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 07:44 PM   #143
Jarred
OUTCAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy
Way to assume too much.
hmm...check out news, and be skeptical. Don't think he was assuming much of anything there.
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 08:18 PM   #144
simwiz2

No one should be jumping to conclusions about the possible cheats on ATi cards yet IMO. There is some evidence, but no more than there was against the 6800 in 3DMark, and that turned out to be nothing.
simwiz2 is offline   Reply With Quote